Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > question on URL case sensitivity

question on URL case sensitivity

Kev

I have a site written in PHP and it uses a MySQL database for customers
hosted on a Linux server. I would like to advertise my site in newspapers
and flyers using uppercase lettering within the name to make the address
easier to read, eg. www.MyDomain.com rather than www.mydomain.com. Are there
any pitfalls to doing this?
I know Linux is case sensitive but is that only within the scripts
themselves (the backend?) The coding is all in lowercase wherever the domain
is mentioned so I'm more concerned with user's browsers I think, right?

Thanks for any input.

Travis Newbury

Kev wrote:

> I know Linux is case sensitive but is that only within the scripts
> themselves (the backend?) The coding is all in lowercase wherever the domain
> is mentioned so I'm more concerned with user's browsers I think, right?

The URL is case insensitive. The file names are case sensitive.

--
-=tn=-

Timothy

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 22:59:43 +0000, Kev wrote:

> I have a site written in PHP and it uses a MySQL database for customers
> hosted on a Linux server. I would like to advertise my site in newspapers
> and flyers using uppercase lettering within the name to make the address
> easier to read, eg. www.MyDomain.com rather than www.mydomain.com. Are
> there any pitfalls to doing this?
> I know Linux is case sensitive but is that only within the scripts
> themselves (the backend?) The coding is all in lowercase wherever the
> domain is mentioned so I'm more concerned with user's browsers I think,
> right?
>
> Thanks for any input.

As far as you clients inputting the url in caps... doesn't make
a difference. www.mydomain.com or WWW.MYDOMAIN.COM, both will resolve to
your ip.

Leif K-Brooks

Travis Newbury wrote:
> Kev wrote:
>
>> I know Linux is case sensitive but is that only within the scripts
>> themselves (the backend?) The coding is all in lowercase wherever the
>> domain
>> is mentioned so I'm more concerned with user's browsers I think, right?

> The URL is case insensitive. The file names are case sensitive.

The domain name part of the URL is case-insensitive. The rest depends on
the server.

Travis Newbury

Leif K-Brooks wrote:
>>> I know Linux is case sensitive but is that only within the scripts
>>> themselves (the backend?) The coding is all in lowercase wherever the
>>> domain
>>> is mentioned so I'm more concerned with user's browsers I think, right?

>> The URL is case insensitive. The file names are case sensitive.

> The domain name part of the URL is case-insensitive. The rest

depends on
> the server.

Hmmm... Isn't that what I said? Re-reading, I can see were the
confusion would come in.

--
-=tn=-

Andy Dingley

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 19:49:27 -0500, Travis Newbury <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hmmm... Isn't that what I said?

No - you said "file names". As mapping fragments of a URL to files on
a web server is the responsibility of Apache or similar, it's usually
a reliable piece of code that is properly case-insensitive. When it
comes to query parameters though, it's common that site-specific
developer-written code goes completely to pieces here. Many "big name"
sites have inconsistent behaviour where these are sensitive, or often
some parameters are case-sensitive and some are insensitive.

Case sensitivity on a publically accessible web server is of course a
bade idea, wherever it occurs. It's "valid" to be sensitive, but it's
never going to be a good idea - humans are just too inherntly
case-insensitive.

--
Smert' spamionam

Richard

Kev wrote:

> I have a site written in PHP and it uses a MySQL database for customers
> hosted on a Linux server. I would like to advertise my site in newspapers
> and flyers using uppercase lettering within the name to make the address
> easier to read, eg. www.MyDomain.com rather than www.mydomain.com. Are
> there any pitfalls to doing this?
> I know Linux is case sensitive but is that only within the scripts
> themselves (the backend?) The coding is all in lowercase wherever the
> domain is mentioned so I'm more concerned with user's browsers I think,
> right?

I don't believe ICANN cares either way.
Unless the host changes the rules, then it would make a difference.

www.MyHomeTown.com should work just fine.

When an inquiry is made, it goes to the ICANN database and an attempt is
made to look up the name first as is, then in lower case.
If no match is found, it is rejected.

Oli Filth

Richard wrote:
> When an inquiry is made, it goes to the ICANN database and an attempt is
> made to look up the name first as is, then in lower case.
> If no match is found, it is rejected.

Not quite true. ICANN is only an organising and regulatory body, not the
DNS database itself.

When a URL is requested, your DNS client first queries your default Name
Server (whose IP address is typically supplied by your ISP), which then
attempts to resolve the query by repeated referral, i.e. if it doesn't
know then it returns the IP address of another Name Server that might,
and the process repeats.

This part of the process is certainly not case-sensitive; I doubt very
much that two separate queries are made as you have suggested.

AFAIK, virtual directory resolution is the duty of the hosting server
and unless it's been written by retards, it should be case-insensitive
as well.

Oli

Jukka K. Korpela

"Kev" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I would like to advertise my site in newspapers
> and flyers using uppercase lettering within the name to make the
> address easier to read, eg. www.MyDomain.com rather than
> www.mydomain.com. Are there any pitfalls to doing this?

The only (minor) pitfall is that people might not know that domain
names are case insensitive - as your question indicates! Therefore
people might think that they need to use the shift key when typing in
the address, and that's unnecessary complication.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Andy Dingley

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 21:43:23 -0600, "Richard" <Anonymous@127.001>
wrote:

>When an inquiry is made, it goes to the ICANN database and an attempt is
>made to look up the name first as is, then in lower case.

You really are quite staggeringly ignorant, aren't you? Would you
_please_ shut the hell up, until you have some resemblance of a clue.