Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > OT: Sorry if...

OT: Sorry if...

Neal

Sorry if I screw up typing. I managed to fry a keyboard last night in the
middle of something, and had to buy a $10 cheapie till I can replace the
one I had. It's kinda sucky, but beter than the other one where the
letters that came out were not always the ones I hit.

Who cares to guess HOW I fried the keyboard?

SpaceGirl

Neal wrote:
> Sorry if I screw up typing. I managed to fry a keyboard last night in
> the middle of something, and had to buy a $10 cheapie till I can replace
> the one I had. It's kinda sucky, but beter than the other one where the
> letters that came out were not always the ones I hit.
>
> Who cares to guess HOW I fried the keyboard?

Beer?

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Leif K-Brooks

Neal wrote:
> Who cares to guess HOW I fried the keyboard?

Dropping it down the stairs? It would fit in with me hurting my back on
the stairs, which is my excuse for typing badly (I can't lean forward
into the keyboard as much as I would normally do).

Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc.

"SpaceGirl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Neal wrote:
>> Sorry if I screw up typing. I managed to fry a keyboard last night in the
>> middle of something, and had to buy a $10 cheapie till I can replace the
>> one I had. It's kinda sucky, but beter than the other one where the
>> letters that came out were not always the ones I hit.
>>
>> Who cares to guess HOW I fried the keyboard?

> Beer?

Ugh...I can't even count the number of keyboards I've fried with wine, soda,
etc.

You know, you can throw a keyboard into a warm soapy bath and let it soak
for a few minutes. Then rinse and hang dry it upside down. Make sure its
100% dry before you plug it back in though!

--Tina

Wrm

"SpaceGirl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
<snip>

Beer?

Urgh, I don't even wanna count how many ky KB's have died cause of spilt
beer (thats alcohol abuse, I know, can't help meself , there's plenty
of beerykeyboardghosts haunting here 4 sure

Karl Core

"Neal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Sorry if I screw up typing. I managed to fry a keyboard last night in the
> middle of something, and had to buy a $10 cheapie till I can replace the
> one I had. It's kinda sucky, but beter than the other one where the
> letters that came out were not always the ones I hit.
>
> Who cares to guess HOW I fried the keyboard?

Depends on how much pr0n is on your computer....

--
-Karl Core
Please Support "Project Boneyard":

SpaceGirl

Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc. wrote:
> "SpaceGirl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Neal wrote:
>>
>>>Sorry if I screw up typing. I managed to fry a keyboard last night in the
>>>middle of something, and had to buy a $10 cheapie till I can replace the
>>>one I had. It's kinda sucky, but beter than the other one where the
>>>letters that came out were not always the ones I hit.
>>>
>>>Who cares to guess HOW I fried the keyboard?

>>Beer?

> Ugh...I can't even count the number of keyboards I've fried with wine, soda,
> etc.
>
> You know, you can throw a keyboard into a warm soapy bath and let it soak
> for a few minutes. Then rinse and hang dry it upside down. Make sure its
> 100% dry before you plug it back in though!
>
> --Tina

That's okay with generic keyboards. Not sure I'd want to try that with a
cordless bluetooth keyboard tho

I've killed a few keyboards with wine/rum/vodka over the hmm... <quiet
voice> last year </quiet voice>

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc.

"SpaceGirl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc. wrote:
>> "SpaceGirl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>>Beer?

>> Ugh...I can't even count the number of keyboards I've fried with wine,
>> soda, etc.
>>
>> You know, you can throw a keyboard into a warm soapy bath and let it soak
>> for a few minutes. Then rinse and hang dry it upside down. Make sure
>> its 100% dry before you plug it back in though!
>>
>> --Tina
>>

> That's okay with generic keyboards. Not sure I'd want to try that with a
> cordless bluetooth keyboard tho

Yeah, and don't try it with your laptop either! *laughs*

Speaking of...my Jack Russell Terrier actually chewed off the keys on my
laptop. I found most of them mangled up on the floor...but I'm still
missing an "e" and a "f8".

PS: I've already heard all the sick jokes about waiting for the keys to
come out, so don't bother.

--Tina

Neal

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 15:38:10 +0000, SpaceGirl
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> vodka

SpaceGirl wins the prize. Unfortunately, the prize is me dressed as brucie
doing a goofy dance on a flagpole...

Richard

Neal wrote:

> Sorry if I screw up typing. I managed to fry a keyboard last night in the
> middle of something, and had to buy a $10 cheapie till I can replace the
> one I had. It's kinda sucky, but beter than the other one where the
> letters that came out were not always the ones I hit.

> Who cares to guess HOW I fried the keyboard?

I went to clean my dell keyboard one day and found out it has some rather
good protection under the keys.
Each key holder is mounted on a board above the circuit board, and there is
a small bit of plastic/rubber (??) between the actual key plunger and the
switch.
So it makes shorting out the actual board a lot more difficult.

In your case, totally disassemble the keyboard.
Rinse everything, including the keyboard in soapy water.
Now let the parts dry for a week or two before using it again.