Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > FormMail

FormMail

wayne

My ISP has cgimail, formmail (NMS v 3.05) and wwwboard available for my use.

I had the scripts working in the past, but when attempting to uss css to
style the forms, I somehow broke all of the forms.

I reinstalled the scripts using the ISP's tool, and cannot get them
setup again.

If I use the standard set-up, I receive a styled message that the
recipient is not authorized. When I change the settings in FormMail.pl
to include those I want to sent mail to in either @reipients or
%recipients alias, I then get another error:

Application Error

An error has occurred in the program

close sendmail pipe failed, mailprog=[/usr/lib/sendmail -oi -t] at (eval
line 108.

Doing a google search does not give me much to work with. Are any users
here familiar with formmail?

Should I be using cgimail instead?

Wayne

Neal

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 21:25:14 GMT, wayne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> My ISP has cgimail, formmail (NMS v 3.05) and wwwboard available for my
> use.

Post a URL.

wayne

Neal wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 21:25:14 GMT, wayne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> My ISP has cgimail, formmail (NMS v 3.05) and wwwboard available for
>> my use.

> Post a URL.

http://www.glenmeadows.com/cathy.html

is supposed to send an email to the management company. Without an
email addresss, I get an error from formmail stating invalid address.
With an address, I receive the previously posted error every time, even
though the address I'm trying to send to is in the %reci[pient_alias list.

Wayne

Neal

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 05:23:48 GMT, wayne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Neal wrote:
>> On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 21:25:14 GMT, wayne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> My ISP has cgimail, formmail (NMS v 3.05) and wwwboard available for
>>> my use.

>> Post a URL.

> http://www.glenmeadows.com/cathy.html
>
> is supposed to send an email to the management company. Without an
> email addresss, I get an error from formmail stating invalid address.
> With an address, I receive the previously posted error every time, even
> though the address I'm trying to send to is in the %reci[pient_alias
> list.

Try deleting formmail and re-uploading it. See if the error persists. Mind
how you're uploading the script.

If that doesn't solve it, check a newsgroup devoted to perl.

wayne

Neal wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 05:23:48 GMT, wayne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Neal wrote:

>>> Post a URL.

>> http://www.glenmeadows.com/cathy.html
>>
>> is supposed to send an email to the management company. Without an
>> email addresss, I get an error from formmail stating invalid address.
>> With an address, I receive the previously posted error every time,
>> even though the address I'm trying to send to is in the
>> %reci[pient_alias list.

> Try deleting formmail and re-uploading it. See if the error persists.
> Mind how you're uploading the script.
>
> If that doesn't solve it, check a newsgroup devoted to perl.

Deleted the file, reloaded from host script, same issue. Nothing different.

Thanks for the input.

Wayne

mbstevens

wayne wrote:

> Neal wrote:

>>> http://www.glenmeadows.com/cathy.html
>>>
>>> is supposed to send an email to the management company. Without an
>>> email addresss, I get an error from formmail stating invalid address.
>>> With an address, I receive the previously posted error every time,
>>> even though the address I'm trying to send to is in the
>>> %reci[pient_alias list.

>> Try deleting formmail and re-uploading it. See if the error persists.
>> Mind how you're uploading the script.
>>
>> If that doesn't solve it, check a newsgroup devoted to perl.

> Deleted the file, reloaded from host script, same issue. Nothing
> different.
>
> Thanks for the input.
>
> Wayne

I'm getting the same errors.

In your form...
<input type="hidden" name="recipient" value="cathy" />
is referring to the recipient alias *Hash* which should look something like:
$recipient_alias = (
'cathy' => '(E-Mail Removed)',
'moe' => '(E-Mail Removed)',
'1' => '(E-Mail Removed)',
);
So, you have this correct? Fine.
_____________

But I don't think it has anything to do with the script's aggressive checks
of the sender's email address. This recipient_alias hash is about the
receiver's (your or your client's) email addresses, not the sender's
address.

Your form seems to be set up correctly (according to the formmail docs):
<input type="text" name="email" value="Your Email?" />
AFAIK, the only variable in the script itself that you can set that refers
to this is:
$address_style
....so you might try fooling around with that. Don't know if it will help.
You could look at the function that does the input error checking, too, the
CGI::NMS::Validator - validation methods in the script. Trace around and
see if there is anything else you could set that would affect this section.
______________________

Do you really need all the features supplied by this script?

Just my opinion, but 77K is one hell of a lot of firepower to throw at a
simple mail form. Any book on CGI/Perl will have a program of about 50
*lines* (under 2K) that will do what most people need, you'll learn a
little perl making the mods to get it running on your server, and it'll
load and run faster.
--
mbstevens http://www.mbstevens.com/bc.pl
(computing menu under CGI/Perl for resources.)

mbstevens

mbstevens wrote:

> ...........bc.pl

Correction:
The resource page referenced should be at .........
http://www.mbstevens.com/bc.html
....not ...bc.pl

wayne

mbstevens wrote:
> wayne wrote:
>

>>Neal wrote:

>>>Try deleting formmail and re-uploading it. See if the error persists.
>>>Mind how you're uploading the script.
>>>
>>>If that doesn't solve it, check a newsgroup devoted to perl.

>>Deleted the file, reloaded from host script, same issue. Nothing
>>different.
>>
>>Thanks for the input.
>>
>>Wayne

> I'm getting the same errors.
>
> In your form...
> <input type="hidden" name="recipient" value="cathy" />
> is referring to the recipient alias *Hash* which should look something like:
> $recipient_alias = (
> 'cathy' => '(E-Mail Removed)',
> 'moe' => '(E-Mail Removed)',
> '1' => '(E-Mail Removed)',
> );
> So, you have this correct? Fine.
> _____________
>
> But I don't think it has anything to do with the script's aggressive checks
> of the sender's email address. This recipient_alias hash is about the
> receiver's (your or your client's) email addresses, not the sender's
> address.
>
> Your form seems to be set up correctly (according to the formmail docs):
> <input type="text" name="email" value="Your Email?" />
> AFAIK, the only variable in the script itself that you can set that refers
> to this is:
> $address_style
> ...so you might try fooling around with that. Don't know if it will help.
> You could look at the function that does the input error checking, too, the
> CGI::NMS::Validator - validation methods in the script. Trace around and
> see if there is anything else you could set that would affect this section.
> ______________________
>
> Do you really need all the features supplied by this script?
>
> Just my opinion, but 77K is one hell of a lot of firepower to throw at a
> simple mail form. Any book on CGI/Perl will have a program of about 50
> *lines* (under 2K) that will do what most people need, you'll learn a
> little perl making the mods to get it running on your server, and it'll
> load and run faster.

Thank you for your help. I will check on a smaller script file.

Update- I called my ISP technical support this morning. The technician
fixed the problem in about 30 seconds.

I uploaded the news=est version of NMS formmail and then received a
different error message - one stating the script could not find
/usr/lib/sendmail. The technician asked for the file containing the
form, did some typing and said it was fixed. He said he fixed a line in
the script. I did a compare on the file he fixed and the one I
uploaded, the difference was:

orginal:
$mailprog '/usr/lib/sendmail'
fixed:
$mailprog '/usr/sbin/sendmail'

The file installed by the ISP's installation routine has
'/usr/lib/sendmail'

Wayne

Neal

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 15:58:57 GMT, wayne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I uploaded the news=est version of NMS formmail and then received a
> different error message - one stating the script could not find
> /usr/lib/sendmail. The technician asked for the file containing the
> form, did some typing and said it was fixed. He said he fixed a line in
> the script. I did a compare on the file he fixed and the one I
> uploaded, the difference was:
>
> orginal:
> $mailprog '/usr/lib/sendmail'
> fixed:
> $mailprog '/usr/sbin/sendmail'
>
> The file installed by the ISP's installation routine has
> '/usr/lib/sendmail'

I figured it was something like that, too bad I fell asleep last night.
Glad it got fixed up.

Now please, next time on a newsgroup, trim the quotes a little! Leave just
enough for context and attribution, snip the rest.

FormMail Problem Olen R. Pearson Perl 0 05-23-2005 07:34 PM
Formmail.pl - Sendmail vs. Smtp Hmmm... Perl 4 09-06-2004 05:12 PM
FormMail.pl error Craig Perl 0 05-07-2004 01:41 AM
Help with split/Formmail.pl Kurt Perl 1 04-01-2004 08:31 PM
formmail lokisapocalypse Perl 2 02-04-2004 07:40 AM

Advertisments