Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > TARGET=_blank not in strict HTML....

TARGET=_blank not in strict HTML....

WindAndWaves

Hi Fakirs

Apparently in HMTL strict, you are not allowed to use <A HREF="..."
target=_blank, can anyone tell me what to do instead of target=_blank?

TIA

- Nicolaas

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html, WindAndWaves <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> Hi Fakirs

Fakirs isn't in today. Will I do?

> Apparently in HMTL strict, you are not allowed to use <A HREF="..."
> target=_blank,

That's correct - the target attribute is not valid.

> can anyone tell me what to do instead of target=_blank?

Remove it.

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

Andy Dingley

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 12:12:49 +1300, "WindAndWaves" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Apparently in HMTL strict, you are not allowed to use <A HREF="..."
>target=_blank, can anyone tell me what to do

Use the Transitional DTD instead.

Why do you need Strict ?

Neal

If we're holy, it's more like holy ****.

> Apparently in HMTL strict, you are not allowed to use <A HREF="..."
> target=_blank,

Yeppers.

> can anyone tell me what to do instead of target=_blank?

1) Use transitional if the application absolutely requires a new window.

2) But the application doesn't require new windows in all likelihood, so
open in the same window. The user can always right-click and open the link
in a new window or tab if that benefits him.

Richard

WindAndWaves wrote:

> Hi Fakirs

Mr. Fakirs has moved. His new address is 1600 pennsylvania ave. Washington
D.C. A very large white house with a lot of land and a big iron gate around
it.

> Apparently in HMTL strict, you are not allowed to use <A HREF="..."
> target=_blank, can anyone tell me what to do instead of target=_blank?

> TIA

> - Nicolaas

Neal

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 20:50:30 -0600, Richard <Anonymous@127.001> wrote:

> WindAndWaves wrote:
>
>> Hi Fakirs

> Mr. Fakirs has moved. His new address is 1600 pennsylvania ave.
> Washington
> D.C. A very large white house with a lot of land and a big iron gate
> around
> it.

No, no, you're thinking of Mr. Faker.

Karl Core

"WindAndWaves" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:YkIyd.834$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Fakirs
>
> Apparently in HMTL strict, you are not allowed to use <A HREF="..."
> target=_blank, can anyone tell me what to do instead of target=_blank?

Yeah, nothing. If the user wants a new window, let them open it.

http://karlcore.com/articles/article.php?id=25

--
-Karl Core
Please Support "Project Boneyard":

jake

In message <YkIyd.834$(E-Mail Removed)>, WindAndWaves
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>Hi Fakirs
>
>Apparently in HMTL strict, you are not allowed to use <A HREF="..."
>target=_blank, can anyone tell me what to do instead of target=_blank?
>
>TIA
>
>- Nicolaas

That's the way it is. If you're not too bothered, you could always
validate the page as 'transitional'.

However.

When I need to open a new window and still validate as 'strict' what I
do is use a piece of Javascript to set the target to "_blank" for the
link in question.

For your visitors with js enabled (that's probably 99% of them) the next
page will open in a new window; for those that don't have js enabled,
the next page will open in the current window.

I also use js to write a 'warning' that the next page will open in a new
window -- important for AT users. The user won't see (or hear) the
warning if js is not enabled.

Not a 100% solution, of course, but 99% suits me.

regards.

--
Jake

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

jake wrote:

> For your visitors with js enabled (that's probably 99% of them)

I'd guess it's probably closer to 10%.

Numerous other pages show similar numbers.
http://accessat.c-net.us/articles/stats.html

--
-bts
-This space intentionally left blank.

Travis Newbury

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)lid
says...
> jake wrote:
> > For your visitors with js enabled (that's probably 99% of them)

> I'd guess it's probably closer to 10%.
> http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

Whoa, guess you miss read that...

But also from the page:
"You cannot - as a web developer - rely only on statistics. Statistics
can often be misleading.

Global averages may not always be relevant to your web site. Different
sites attract different audiences. "

No way! Statistics can be misleading? And what the hell is all this
about different sites attracts different audiences. No f'in way!
Everybody goes to every site on the web in equal proportions...

--
-=*Tn*=-