Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Newbie: Developing drop down menus for website - where do I start?

Newbie: Developing drop down menus for website - where do I start?

Tester

Hello there,

In summary:
Any good websites / resources that explain how to develop cross browser
compatible, drop down menus (in JavaScript I assume) for my website.

In detail:

I would like to implement the drop down menus that seem to be getting more
and more popular on websites. Whilst an experienced programmer with basic
experience in JavaScript and DHTML, I am not sure how one would go about
creating drop down menus.

My searched on the internet have got me looking at two options,
1. Buy some package that generates them for me such as:
http://software.xfx.net/utilities/dmbuilder/

2. Learn how to do them myself from scratch using code resources that are
available on the web such as:
http://www.aspandjavascript.co.uk/ja..._2/default.asp

My problem is that I am limited on time and I was beginning to think that
spending time learning how to use the package might take just as long to
find some free code and learn how to implement it myself. But I am at a bit
of a loss with regard to placement of the menus and have so far only
implemented HTML websites with JavaScript for functional purposes (E.g.
verification etc.).

Any help would be greatly appreciated even if you point me to a more
appropriate Newsgroup.

Kind regards,

Dave

msswasstastic@aol.com

Find a page that has one and rip the code off.

Just be sure the main links (the top ones you see before the menu
expands down) are clickable to their own pages where those dropdown
menu items will be for those with JS disabled.

I'm personally against these JS menus since they cut down on banner
views on the gateway pages, thus ad revneue.

Tester

> Find a page that has one and rip the code off.
>
> Just be sure the main links (the top ones you see before the menu
> expands down) are clickable to their own pages where those dropdown
> menu items will be for those with JS disabled.

Hmmm, I did try this but found that the code seemed to access many different
files and so I never had the complete code. Any examples of a page where I
could copy the code and then customise it with my own links.

Regards

Dave

Richard

Tester wrote:

> Hello there,

> In summary:
> Any good websites / resources that explain how to develop cross browser
> compatible, drop down menus (in JavaScript I assume) for my website.

> In detail:

> I would like to implement the drop down menus that seem to be getting more
> and more popular on websites. Whilst an experienced programmer with basic
> experience in JavaScript and DHTML, I am not sure how one would go about
> creating drop down menus.

> My searched on the internet have got me looking at two options,
> 1. Buy some package that generates them for me such as:
> http://software.xfx.net/utilities/dmbuilder/

> 2. Learn how to do them myself from scratch using code resources that are
> available on the web such as:
> http://www.aspandjavascript.co.uk/ja...tutorial_versi
> on_2/default.asp

> My problem is that I am limited on time and I was beginning to think that
> spending time learning how to use the package might take just as long to
> find some free code and learn how to implement it myself. But I am at a
> bit of a loss with regard to placement of the menus and have so far only
> implemented HTML websites with JavaScript for functional purposes (E.g.
> verification etc.).

> Any help would be greatly appreciated even if you point me to a more
> appropriate Newsgroup.

> Kind regards,

> Dave

www.dynamicdrive.com
www.hotscripts.com

Actually, a good editor will have the "combo box" menu script already to
apply.
The problem is, deciding what exactly it is you want to do with it.

Toby Inkster

Tester wrote:

> Any good websites / resources that explain how to develop cross browser
> compatible, drop down menus (in JavaScript I assume) for my website.

The Netscape DevEdge menus were the best, but DevEdge has closed down.

DevEdge is Dead.

http://web.archive.org/web/200312030...e-redesign-js/

Long live DevEdge!

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Alan Cole

In article <41ca159a$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Tester" <SPAM FREE WORLD> wrote:

> Hello there,
>
> In summary:
> Any good websites / resources that explain how to develop cross browser
> compatible, drop down menus (in JavaScript I assume) for my website.
>
> In detail:
>
> I would like to implement the drop down menus that seem to be getting more
> and more popular on websites. Whilst an experienced programmer with basic
> experience in JavaScript and DHTML, I am not sure how one would go about
> creating drop down menus.
>
> My searched on the internet have got me looking at two options,
> 1. Buy some package that generates them for me such as:
> http://software.xfx.net/utilities/dmbuilder/
>
> 2. Learn how to do them myself from scratch using code resources that are
> available on the web such as:
> http://www.aspandjavascript.co.uk/ja...rial_version_2
> /default.asp
>
> My problem is that I am limited on time and I was beginning to think that
> spending time learning how to use the package might take just as long to
> find some free code and learn how to implement it myself. But I am at a bit
> of a loss with regard to placement of the menus and have so far only
> implemented HTML websites with JavaScript for functional purposes (E.g.
> verification etc.).
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated even if you point me to a more
> appropriate Newsgroup.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Dave

http://javascript.cooldev.com/scripts/coolmenu/

Al.

--
Alan Cole. E-mail: justal at lineone dot net
http://www.forces-of-nature.co.uk [Coastal Sports]

aakaab

one more javascript menu to consider
http://www.codethat.com/javascript-menu.html

Toby Inkster wrote:
> Tester wrote:
>
> > Any good websites / resources that explain how to develop cross

browser
> > compatible, drop down menus (in JavaScript I assume) for my

website.

> The Netscape DevEdge menus were the best, but DevEdge has closed

down.

> DevEdge is Dead.

http://web.archive.org/web/200312030...e-redesign-js/

> Long live DevEdge!
>
> --
> Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Michael Winter

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 21:00:10 -0600, Richard <Anonymous@127.001> wrote:

[snip]

> www.dynamicdrive.com

Unless things have changed since I looked a few months ago, the menu
scripts there shouldn't be used on the Web. None of them provides adequate
degradation if scripting or CSS isn't available.

> www.hotscripts.com

There are too many to check there but from what I saw of the first few, I
don't hold out much hope.

> Actually, a good editor will have the "combo box" menu script already to
> apply.

What's an editor got to do with that?

[snip]

Mike

Please trim your quotations.

--
Michael Winter

Michael Winter

On 23 Dec 2004 01:18:08 -0800, aakaab <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> one more javascript menu to consider
> http://www.codethat.com/javascript-menu.html

From what I can see, it's useless without scripting support so it's
suitability for the Web is in question.

[snip]

Mike

Please don't top post, and trim your quotations.

--
Michael Winter

(Pete Cresswell)

RE/
>dequate
>degradation if scripting or CSS isn't available.

CSS not available?!!!!

That sure got my attention as a noob developer.

I had been going on the assumptin that CSS was the good-right-and-holy path and
that everything possible sb pushed up to a .CSS file.

Am I on the wrong track?
--
PeteCresswell