Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > automatic height

automatic height

Markus Schöning

Hello,

please excuse my English: I'm not a native speaker.
I have a table (height: 100%) with three rows. The first and the third row
have a fixed height. The second row should fill the rest of the 100%. The
following example works fine in every browser, except Internet Explorer. Can
somebody help me?

Header

Content

Footer

Philip Ronan

Markus Schöning wrote:

> please excuse my English: I'm not a native speaker.

Your English is fine!

But your markup is not very good. Try style="height:60px;"

--
phil [dot] ronan @ virgin [dot] net
http://vzone.virgin.net/phil.ronan/

steven

"Markus Schöning" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cqd1uq$95p$00$(E-Mail Removed)-online.com...
> Hello,
>
> please excuse my English: I'm not a native speaker.

Never, NEVER apologise for not speaking perfect English.

1.
English is a weird language as it is; even native speakers don't get it
always right.

2.
Who are you apologising to? The native English speaking guyz/galz? Do they
speak German? If I were British or American, I would be honored when people
would take the trouble to address me in my own language.
Or are the apologies for the other people who are in the same position as
you are: who don't always find the right word or the right grammatical
construction. I don't care! As long as we can understand each other.

From time to time I have to send an email to a German or Austrian
correspondent (e-shops, things like that). I could do this in English, but
sometimes I try to do it in German. I know my German is not very good (only
my fourth language), and maybe they chuckle over it, but I can make my point
and that's what counts.

mit besten Grüßen,
Steven
aus Belgien

steven

"Markus Schöning" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cqd1uq$95p$00$(E-Mail Removed)-online.com...
> Hello,
>
> please excuse my English: I'm not a native speaker.
> I have a table (height: 100%) with three rows. The first and the third row
> have a fixed height. The second row should fill the rest of the 100%. The
> following example works fine in every browser, except Internet Explorer.

Can
> somebody help me?

> Header

> Content

> Footer

Schon wieder da.

It looks like you're using this table to create your page layout. There's no
law against it (yet), but it's not very much appreciated either. HTML is
used to represent content, and tables are OK when they're used to represent
tabular information.
Better use CSS for layout. Content and presentation should be separated.

Steven

Els

steven wrote:

> "Markus Schöning" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:cqd1uq$95p$00$(E-Mail Removed)-online.com...
>> Hello,
>>
>> please excuse my English: I'm not a native speaker.

> Never, NEVER apologise for not speaking perfect English.

True, but..

> 1.
> English is a weird language as it is; even native speakers
> don't get it always right.

Too true

> 2.
> Who are you apologising to? The native English speaking
> guyz/galz? Do they speak German? If I were British or
> American, I would be honored when people would take the
> trouble to address me in my own language. Or are the
> apologies for the other people who are in the same position
> as you are: who don't always find the right word or the
> right grammatical construction. I don't care! As long as we
> can understand each other.

But I think the apology may serve another purpose. It's not
when we (not English speakers) make funny/weird/silly mistakes
in the English language that there is a problem. It's when we
appear to be using the English language, but in fact have
misunderstood a word or expression, and therefore use it the
wrong way, and you (English speakers) misunderstand what we
want to say. So, to me, an apology like that is more like a
warning: "if I say something rude, please know that I probably
didn't mean it like that, and it's due to me not knowing the
language well enough to recognise rudeness"

> mit besten Grüßen,

groetjes / salut

> Steven

Els

> aus Belgien

uit Nederland / des Pays-Bas (sp?)

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/
- Renato Russo -

steven

"Els" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> steven wrote:
>
> > "Markus Schöning" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:cqd1uq$95p$00$(E-Mail Removed)-online.com...
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> please excuse my English: I'm not a native speaker.

> > Never, NEVER apologise for not speaking perfect English.

> True, but..
>
> > 1.
> > English is a weird language as it is; even native speakers
> > don't get it always right.

> Too true
>
> > 2.
> > Who are you apologising to? The native English speaking
> > guyz/galz? Do they speak German? If I were British or
> > American, I would be honored when people would take the
> > trouble to address me in my own language. Or are the
> > apologies for the other people who are in the same position
> > as you are: who don't always find the right word or the
> > right grammatical construction. I don't care! As long as we
> > can understand each other.

> But I think the apology may serve another purpose. It's not
> when we (not English speakers) make funny/weird/silly mistakes
> in the English language that there is a problem. It's when we
> appear to be using the English language, but in fact have
> misunderstood a word or expression, and therefore use it the
> wrong way, and you (English speakers) misunderstand what we
> want to say. So, to me, an apology like that is more like a
> warning: "if I say something rude, please know that I probably
> didn't mean it like that, and it's due to me not knowing the
> language well enough to recognise rudeness"
>
> > mit besten Grüßen,

> groetjes / salut
>
> > Steven

> Els
>
> > aus Belgien

> uit Nederland / des Pays-Bas (sp?)

Você significa os Países Baixos?
(Wat is sp?)

Els

steven wrote:

>> > mit besten Grüßen,

>> groetjes / salut
>> > Steven

>> Els
>> > aus Belgien

>> uit Nederland / des Pays-Bas (sp?)

> Você significa os Países Baixos?

Depende, o que você quer dizer com a palavra "significa".
Eu sou Holandesa, sim, mas não estou representante deste País.

> (Wat is sp?)

"sp?" staat voor "ik hoop dat ik het goed gespeld heb, geen
flauw idee wat de officiële/juiste spelling is"

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/
- Renato Russo -

Travis Newbury

steven wrote:
> > please excuse my English: I'm not a native speaker.

> Never, NEVER apologise for not speaking perfect English.

Well that was an interesting tangent...

--
-=*Tn*=-

Samuël van Laere

"Travis Newbury" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> steven wrote:
> > > please excuse my English: I'm not a native speaker.

> > Never, NEVER apologise for not speaking perfect English.

> Well that was an interesting tangent...
>
> --
> -=*Tn*=-

Perfect.
Lets make this alt.languages or something

Regards,
Sam