Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Link to a specific point in a frameset

Reply
Thread Tools

Link to a specific point in a frameset

 
 
Ed
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-22-2004
I want to create a link from one framed webpage to another webpage which
is defined as a 3-framed frameset in which there is a long menu on the
left-hand-side which scrolls within its own frame.

I have no problem creating a link to the frameset itself using the <a
href="second_frameset.htm" TARGET="_top">click to see</a> construct. But
what I really would like to do is to link to the frameset AND
specifically to a defined (or labelled or named) point in the scrollable
menu frame on the left-hand-side.

I am at a total loss as to how to format the link which will take me to
the new frameset with the specified menu item on display.

Please help.

Ed
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mark Parnell
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-22-2004
Previously in alt.html, Ed <ex@directory> said:

> I want to create a link from one framed webpage to another webpage which
> is defined as a 3-framed frameset


*2* framed sites? You really are asking to be flamed, aren't you?

> what I really would like to do is to link to the frameset AND
> specifically to a defined (or labelled or named) point in the scrollable
> menu frame on the left-hand-side.


Welcome to just one of the limitations of frames.

http://www.htmlhelp.com/design/frames/whatswrong.html
http://html-faq.com/htmlframes/?framesareevil
http://dorward.me.uk/www/frames/
http://www.google.com/webmasters/2.html (see under "Your page uses
frames")
http://www.markparnell.com.au/articles/frames.php

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Beauregard T. Shagnasty
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-22-2004
Ed wrote:

> I want to create a link from one framed webpage to another webpage
> which is defined as a 3-framed frameset in which there is a long
> menu on the left-hand-side which scrolls within its own frame.


Mark has already given you the links to why frames are not to be used.
Let me add that there is nothing I fume at more than having to scroll
*twice* on one web page.

Well, almost nothing.

--
-bts
-This space intentionally left blank.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Steve Pugh
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-22-2004
On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 21:55:24 +0000, Ed <ex@directory> wrote:

>I want to create a link from one framed webpage to another webpage which
>is defined as a 3-framed frameset in which there is a long menu on the
>left-hand-side which scrolls within its own frame.
>
>I have no problem creating a link to the frameset itself using the <a
>href="second_frameset.htm" TARGET="_top">click to see</a> construct. But
>what I really would like to do is to link to the frameset AND
>specifically to a defined (or labelled or named) point in the scrollable
>menu frame on the left-hand-side.
>
>I am at a total loss as to how to format the link which will take me to
>the new frameset with the specified menu item on display.


<a href="second_frameset.htm?foo" TARGET="_top">some link text that
descibes the target resource a damn site better than "click to
see"</a>

Then you use JavaScript to read the value 'foo' and scroll the framed
page to the appropriate location. It's a right pain and obviously not
possible if the new frameset isn't part of your site.

This is just one of the reasons why frames are a bad idea.

Steve

 
Reply With Quote
 
msswasstastic@aol.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-23-2004
Frames do still have a valid use in online application style pages, so
I assume that's what this is for.

On the target page you'll need these....

<a name="one">Something here. Possibly just the first word of a
paragraph.</a>

They represent markers to automatically scroll to. You could have one
of them. You could have 1000 of them on a page.

Then you would format a link to the page and specific location like
this...

<a href="URL#one">Click Here</a>

So you are just adding #one (or whatever you want to name the point)
directly after the URL.

Just apply that to your frame links.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Ed
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-23-2004
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Frames do still have a valid use in online application style pages, so
> I assume that's what this is for.
>
> On the target page you'll need these....
>
> <a name="one">Something here. Possibly just the first word of a
> paragraph.</a>
>
> They represent markers to automatically scroll to. You could have one
> of them. You could have 1000 of them on a page.
>
> Then you would format a link to the page and specific location like
> this...
>
> <a href="URL#one">Click Here</a>
>
> So you are just adding #one (or whatever you want to name the point)
> directly after the URL.
>
> Just apply that to your frame links.
>

But the target page is defined as a 3-frame frameset. Even if I set up
a labelled position in one of these frames as you describe using the
name= construct, the link that you've given will only take me to the
frameset itself. It will not make one of the frames scroll to the
desired labelled position.

Ed

 
Reply With Quote
 
Ed
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-23-2004
Steve Pugh wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 21:55:24 +0000, Ed <ex@directory> wrote:
>
>
>>I want to create a link from one framed webpage to another webpage which
>>is defined as a 3-framed frameset in which there is a long menu on the
>>left-hand-side which scrolls within its own frame.
>>
>>I have no problem creating a link to the frameset itself using the <a
>>href="second_frameset.htm" TARGET="_top">click to see</a> construct. But
>>what I really would like to do is to link to the frameset AND
>>specifically to a defined (or labelled or named) point in the scrollable
>>menu frame on the left-hand-side.
>>
>>I am at a total loss as to how to format the link which will take me to
>>the new frameset with the specified menu item on display.

>
>
> <a href="second_frameset.htm?foo" TARGET="_top">some link text that
> descibes the target resource a damn site better than "click to
> see"</a>
>
> Then you use JavaScript to read the value 'foo' and scroll the framed
> page to the appropriate location. It's a right pain and obviously not
> possible if the new frameset isn't part of your site.
>
> This is just one of the reasons why frames are a bad idea.
>
> Steve
>


Steve,

Yes, that sounds like a good solution to me and should do exactly what I
want. So thanks for that.

The new frameset is indeed part of my own website (which I only use for
private purposes and it is not available to the general public) so there
are no problems for me to add location markers to one of the frames in
the new frameset.

But, a couple of questions as I am quite new on all this:

Is the question mark in

<a href="second_frameset.htm?foo" TARGET="_top">

intended or should that be a hash mark?

Secondly, do you know of a good source that would help me write the
Javascipt along the lines that you indicated?

Once again, thanks for all your advice,

Ed
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Share-Point-2010 ,Share-Point -2010 Training , Share-point-2010Hyderabad , Share-point-2010 Institute Saraswati lakki ASP .Net 0 01-06-2012 06:39 AM
external link to specific page of frameset Ni© HTML 5 11-20-2005 12:16 AM
Frameset, Selected Index, Target Frameset relchatt@comcast.net ASP .Net 0 09-29-2004 09:37 PM
Link to open a frameset page to a specific url in a frame? B.G. Javascript 3 12-30-2003 06:55 PM
How do you make sure a frameset is loaded? I'm trying to open a frameset in a new window which shows a specific html page in a specific frame ck388 Javascript 1 09-24-2003 08:32 PM



Advertisments