Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > What else can I use besides <embed>

What else can I use besides <embed>

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Samu=EBl_ML_Lison?=

Hello All,

I have a flash animation playing at http://dreamcities.net to split my
website into its different sections.

I am trying to validate the XHTML 1.0 Strict but am being told that
embed is not a valid tag in XHTML 1.0 Strict.

What can I use besides this tag to play the flash file properly?

Yours Sincerely,
SamuŽl ML Lison

--
DreamCities.net - A Community for All! (http://www.dreamcities.net)
Contact Me: http://about.dreamcities.net/contact.html

Mark Parnell

http://www.alistapart.com/articles/flashsatay/

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Samu=EBl_ML_Lison?=

Mark Parnell wrote:
> Previously in alt.html, Samu√ęl ML Lison <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>

>>What can I use besides this tag to play the flash file properly?

> http://www.alistapart.com/articles/flashsatay/

Thanks, that document helped a lot.

As you can see, the rest of the site has a lot of errors and warnings I
need to work through and fix.

I will actually be looking for someone to complete this task and try and
get the whole site working around CSS instead of tables and fully
validate. The tricky part I think will be the PHPNuke section
(http://community.dreamcities.net) where the whole theme needs to be
modified and fixed, probably even more?

I will post about this when I'm ready to contract someone to do this job
for me, but money will *not* be an issue. Does $60AUD an hour seem
reasonable for that kind of job? Considering the code needs a lot of
work. What would be your cost rating for such a messy job?

Yours Sincerely,
SamuŽl ML Lison

--
DreamCities.net - A Community for All! (http://www.dreamcities.net)
Contact Me: http://about.dreamcities.net/contact.html

Travis Newbury

SamuŽl ML Lison wrote:
> >>What can I use besides this tag to play the flash file properly?

> > http://www.alistapart.com/articles/flashsatay/

> Thanks, that document helped a lot.

While <embed> will throw an error in the validator, it currently (and
will likely continue to) works every where with no additional work for
the developer (nor is there a need to own flash to use <embed>). The
above listed document is a work around for <embed> but not a real
solution. It has other issues (some of which are addressed in the
article)

Depending on what you are doing you can go either way with this.
--
-=Tn=-