Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Help with IE 5.x please

Help with IE 5.x please

Nik Coughin

Hi,

Small site that I am working on:

http://www.nrkn.com/hhl/index.html
http://www.nrkn.com/hhl/css/main.css

Now, if you have a look at the browsercam capture:
http://www.browsercam.com/public.aspx?proj_id=121786

You'll see that the side navigation overlays the main content when viewing
the site with IE 5 or 5.5 for Windows. Problem is, I can't install either
of those browsers on this computer to figure out why.

Any ideas?

Please ignore the microfonts, they are only there to keep the client's
designer happy. I am going to talk to the client about this.

--
"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million
typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!" - Blair Houghton

Karl Core

"Nik Coughin" <nrkn!no-spam!@woosh.co.nz> wrote in message
news:Rxrxd.29061$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> Small site that I am working on:
>
> http://www.nrkn.com/hhl/index.html
> http://www.nrkn.com/hhl/css/main.css

What do the server logs say about how many users access the site using IE
5.x?

--
-Karl Core
Please Support "Project Boneyard":

Richard

Nik Coughin wrote:

> Hi,

> Small site that I am working on:

> http://www.nrkn.com/hhl/index.html
> http://www.nrkn.com/hhl/css/main.css

Take the navigation links out of the main body and put them in a division.

rf

Richard wrote:
> Nik Coughin wrote:
>
> > Hi,

> > Small site that I am working on:

> > http://www.nrkn.com/hhl/index.html
> > http://www.nrkn.com/hhl/css/main.css

> Take the navigation links out of the main body and put them in a division.

They are not *in* the "main body" as you put it.

Did you even look at the HTML?

rf

Nik Coughin
> Hi,
>
> http://www.nrkn.com/hhl/index.html
> http://www.nrkn.com/hhl/css/main.css
>
> Now, if you have a look at the browsercam capture:
> http://www.browsercam.com/public.aspx?proj_id=121786
>
> You'll see that the side navigation overlays the main content when viewing
> the site with IE 5 or 5.5 for Windows. Problem is, I can't install either
> of those browsers on this computer to figure out why.

Turn all borders on:

* {border: solid 1px green;}

You will find that there is a gap between the navigation div and the
unorderred list. Probably something to do with margins on the UL, which you
do not specify. Try adding

#navigation ul {margin: 0;}

Looking at the CSS it really looks like you meant to say this anyway. You
have three consecutive rules:

#navigation
#navigation
#navigation li

I seriously supspect you meant the second one to be #navigation ul

--
Cheers
Richard.

Nik Coughin

Karl Core wrote:
> "Nik Coughin" <nrkn!no-spam!@woosh.co.nz> wrote in message
> news:Rxrxd.29061$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi,
>>
>> Small site that I am working on:
>>
>> http://www.nrkn.com/hhl/index.html
>> http://www.nrkn.com/hhl/css/main.css
>>

> What do the server logs say about how many users access the site
> using IE 5.x?

This particular site is not and has not ever been live, but without looking
at any of my other logs I can say that it is a small percentage, and that
despite being ugly in those browsers, the site still works. It doesn't look
very professional though, especially for something that is probably trivial
to fix.

C A Upsdell

"Nik Coughin" <nrkn!no-spam!@woosh.co.nz> wrote in message
news:37txd.29080$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Karl Core wrote:
>> "Nik Coughin" <nrkn!no-spam!@woosh.co.nz> wrote in message
>> news:Rxrxd.29061$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Small site that I am working on:
>>>
>>> http://www.nrkn.com/hhl/index.html
>>> http://www.nrkn.com/hhl/css/main.css
>>>

>> What do the server logs say about how many users access the site
>> using IE 5.x?

> This particular site is not and has not ever been live, but without
> looking at any of my other logs I can say that it is a small percentage,
> and that despite being ugly in those browsers, the site still works. It
> doesn't look very professional though, especially for something that is
> probably trivial to fix.

Perhaps you should note that about as many people use IE5.0 as use IE5.5,
but that IE5.0 CSS support is much worse. So if you are concerned with IE5,
you should test with both.

Kris

In article <P5txd.80902$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"rf" <rf@.invalid> wrote:

> > You'll see that the side navigation overlays the main content when viewing
> > the site with IE 5 or 5.5 for Windows. Problem is, I can't install either
> > of those browsers on this computer to figure out why.

> Turn all borders on:
>
> * {border: solid 1px green;}

To Nik:
Turning borders on affects the width of elements and may cause a
delicate layout to break. If this happens, try a background-color
instead.

--
Kris
<(E-Mail Removed)> (nl)

Kris

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"C A Upsdell" <cupsdell0311XXX@-@(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Perhaps you should note that about as many people use IE5.0 as use IE5.5,
> but that IE5.0 CSS support is much worse.

Actually, what I keep hearing and seeing is that far more people use 5.0
than 5.5. I guess it depends though.

--
Kris
<(E-Mail Removed)> (nl)

kchayka

Nik Coughin wrote:

> http://www.nrkn.com/hhl/index.html
> http://www.nrkn.com/hhl/css/main.css
>
> You'll see that the side navigation overlays the main content when viewing
> the site with IE 5 or 5.5 for Windows.

There is also a problem with the navbar bleeding into the content when
the text size is increased. Take a look in a mozilla browser with text
zoomed to 150%. That's about the size I need to read it comfortably.

> Please ignore the microfonts

Easier said than done.