Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Phase one working......sort of

Phase one working......sort of

Richard

http://www.geocities.com/r_bullis/scroll-rel.html

I got my idea to at least work.
I know the validator doesn't like a few things ok?
Just showin it off.

For the demo, I only have the one image on layer 1.

rf

Richard wrote:

> http://www.geocities.com/r_bullis/scroll-rel.html
>
> I got my idea to at least work.
> I know the validator doesn't like a few things ok?
> Just showin it off.

Since this "idea" does not respond to keyboard scrolling it is useless in a
web situation.

--
Cheers
Richard.

Richard

rf wrote:

> Richard wrote:

>> http://www.geocities.com/r_bullis/scroll-rel.html
>>
>> I got my idea to at least work.
>> I know the validator doesn't like a few things ok?
>> Just showin it off.

> Since this "idea" does not respond to keyboard scrolling it is useless in
> a web situation.

So why should a website be designed to accomodate less than 1% of the web
users?
You forgot to mention it doesn't conform to those hard of hearing or sight
impaired either.
maybe one day I'll make it compatible to keyboard scrollers and even give it
"speech".

And your website would be where?

rf

Richard wrote:
> rf wrote:
>
> > Richard wrote:

> >> http://www.geocities.com/r_bullis/scroll-rel.html
> >>
> >> I got my idea to at least work.
> >> I know the validator doesn't like a few things ok?
> >> Just showin it off.

> > Since this "idea" does not respond to keyboard scrolling it is useless

in
> > a web situation.

> So why should a website be designed to accomodate less than 1% of the web
> users?

More like 10%.

> You forgot to mention it doesn't conform to those hard of hearing or sight
> impaired either.

You are correct. It doesn't work for the visually challenged. Black on red
is impossible. Javascript navigation does not work with screen readers. The
"scroll" bar looks more like decoration than a real scroll bar. The entire
site is bundled into exactly one file so I have to download your entire
"site" to see the first page, which might be a serious problem for dial up
users. All up a dismal effort IMHO.

Now that you have removed the "scroll bar" paradigm, alienated those without
javascript, those without a mouse and those who don't see very well or have
a slow connection I think your 1% is probably in error by an order of
magnitude or two.

> maybe one day I'll make it compatible to keyboard scrollers and even give

it
> "speech".

Maybe one day you will be able to create something that actually works. You
could start by making this one work when I change my font size. When I do
that "scroll bar" doesn't work any more, not untill I refres the page.

What is wrong with a simple div with overflow: auto, instead of all that
gratutious javascript?

While you are at it you should figure out a method of bookmarking a "page".
At the moment it is worse than frames. At least some browsers *can*
"bookmark" a frames site.

> And your website would be where?

And what would any web site I have written have to do with this? In any
case, those I *have* written can be used by people who don't have
javascript, who cannot see and who don't have a mouse. They also fit nicely
on the users viewport and don't make my eyes bleed. I also don't host them
on Yahoo.

I suppose you will serve up this by way of example:
http://www.geocities.com/r_bullis/

A page if gibberish beside a bunch of links that all lead to the same place?

--
Cheers
Richard.

Hywel Jenkins

In article <MPpxd.79806$(E-Mail Removed)>, rf@.invalid
says...
> Richard wrote:
> > And your website would be where?

> And what would any web site I have written have to do with this? In any
> case, those I *have* written can be used by people who don't have
> javascript, who cannot see and who don't have a mouse. They also fit nicely
> on the users viewport and don't make my eyes bleed. I also don't host them
> on Yahoo.

Show and tell, then.

--
Hywel http://kibo.org.uk/
I do not eat quiche.

rf

http://users.bigpond.net.au/rf/excel.htm

--
Cheers
Richard.

Leif K-Brooks

Richard wrote:
> rf wrote:
>
>>Since this "idea" does not respond to keyboard scrolling it is useless in
>>a web situation.

> So why should a website be designed to accomodate less than 1% of the web
> users?

Doesn't work with a mouse wheel, either. Good randint(25,100) percent of
the Web population there.

> You forgot to mention it doesn't conform to those hard of hearing or sight
> impaired either.
> maybe one day I'll make it compatible to keyboard scrollers and even give it
> "speech".

And yet if you had done things right, it would work for everyone -- and
with less effort on your part.

Richard

Leif K-Brooks wrote:

> Richard wrote:
>> rf wrote:
>>
>>>Since this "idea" does not respond to keyboard scrolling it is useless in
>>>a web situation.

>> So why should a website be designed to accomodate less than 1% of the web
>> users?

> Doesn't work with a mouse wheel, either. Good randint(25,100) percent of
> the Web population there.

Hell, I've got a logitech cordless with scroll wheel, and it hasn't worked
in ages on anything.
Even with proper drivers and settings the scroll wheel does nothing.

>> You forgot to mention it doesn't conform to those hard of hearing or
>> sight impaired either. maybe one day I'll make it compatible to keyboard
>> scrollers and even give it "speech".

> And yet if you had done things right, it would work for everyone -- and
> with less effort on your part.

And yet, if it wasn't me doing the thing, you wouldn't have made that
remark.

Richard

rf wrote:

> Hywel Jenkins wrote:
>> In article <MPpxd.79806$(E-Mail Removed)>, rf@.invalid
>> says...
> >>
> >> And what would any web site I have written have to do with this? In any
> >> case, those I *have* written can be used by people who don't have
> >> javascript, who cannot see and who don't have a mouse. They also fit

> nicely
> >> on the users viewport and don't make my eyes bleed. I also don't host

> them
> >> on Yahoo.

>> Show and tell, then.

> http://users.bigpond.net.au/rf/excel.htm

What a frickin joke.
You bash me around for not having "alt" tags, and here you are not doing it
yourself.
Then you have the damn nerve to use tables for presentation.
Not to mention the use of [cough choke cough cough} Front Page.

Then you leave in a link taking visitors to a page that no longer exists.

And you say you've designed websites for others? For free I hope.

rf

Richard whined:
> rf wrote:
>
> > Hywel Jenkins wrote:
> >> In article <MPpxd.79806$(E-Mail Removed)>,

rf@.invalid
> >> says...

any

> > nicely

host
> > them
> >>
> >> Show and tell, then.

> > http://users.bigpond.net.au/rf/excel.htm

> What a frickin joke.

I was hoping you would reply to this post

> You bash me around for not having "alt" tags, and here you are not doing

it
> yourself.

Microsoft excel has no concept of alt tags. And when have I specifically
complained about *your* lack of alt tags?

> Then you have the damn nerve to use tables for presentation.

Microsoft excel uses tables for presentation. That is because Microsoft
excel is a spreadsheet. A spreadsheet is basically a table, used to lay out
tabular data. Microsoft excel does not know that a few words of text and an
image are not data. That is why Microsoft excel uses tables for layout.

> Not to mention the use of [cough choke cough cough} Front Page.

(your brackets and braces are mismatched)

Where did I use frontpage? Oh, I see, yes, Microsoft excel does put in the
frontpage meta elements. Hang on, no it doesn't. Perhaps I at one stage
downloaded this page from the web site to Microsoft Frontpage. Ah yes, I
remember now, I lost the "source" once and downloaded it from the web site,
into Microsoft Frontpage, just to see what it would do

> Then you leave in a link taking visitors to a page that no longer exists.

No, the page does exist. It is just that it is obsolete (I wrote it years
ago) and no longer reflects either my way of thinking nor those of this
group. So, I prefer to not publish its whereabouts. However, in the
interests of keeping the page I published in this thread intact, and the
links live, I leave a stub page there so as to not cause a 404.

> And you say you've designed websites for others? For free I hope.

Where did I ever say that I have designed websites for others? Check every
single one of my posts in usenet over the last eight years and you will
never see me claiming that I design web pages for others. Crikey, you can't
even get your flaming right

As to the link I provided:

Right over your head, like an aeroplane.

Straight through to the wicket keeper. (a Cricket term, ask some of the .uk
people what it means)

This page, my good sir, is a *joke*, a parody. It is a page made with
Microsoft Excel that I often serve up when people complain how badly
Microsoft Frontpage does at writing HTML. It is there to prove that there
are worse things than Microsoft Frontpage out there.

However I really didn't expect you to appreciate any of my sense of humour,
me being Australian and all. I keep forgetting that the U S of A citizens
require a joke to be explained to them in advance

In any case the scroll bar does work in this page, which I must say is
better than your scroll bar.

--
Cheers
Richard.