Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Hyperlink that Posts (instead of Get)?

Hyperlink that Posts (instead of Get)?

Fernie

Hello,

I'm currently posting via html buttons and images. I have a circumstance
where I'd like to post via a hyperlink.

1) I don't want to use a scripting solution because the user may have
scripting disabled.
2) I don't want to use fat urls because my form variables are encrypted (on
the server) and I don't want to worry about illegal ascii characters that
may mess up the hyperlink.

I really don't want to use images or buttons and I hope that there is a way
to post a hyperlink.

Please advise,

Fernie

--

ELKNews FREE Edition - Empower your News Reader! http://www.atozedsoftware.com

Mitja

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 21:11:13 GMT, Fernie <Fernie@not_thisDocSignings.net>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm currently posting via html buttons and images. I have a circumstance
> where I'd like to post via a hyperlink.
>
> 1) I don't want to use a scripting solution because the user may have
> scripting disabled.
> 2) I don't want to use fat urls because my form variables are encrypted
> (on
> the server) and I don't want to worry about illegal ascii characters that
> may mess up the hyperlink.
>
> I really don't want to use images or buttons and I hope that there is a
> way
> to post a hyperlink.

Why did you ask virtually the same question two times?
Number (2) is easily doable; since you're obviously using a server-side
scripting language, have a look at its reference and find out how to
encode URLs. This is done frequently; e.g. I'm sure you've noted URLs
containg %20 (=an encoded space) before.

--
Mitja

Hywel Jenkins

In article <98BC77E892B8E240Fernie@not_thisDocSignings.net> ,
Fernie@not_thisDocSignings.net says...
> Hello,
>
> I'm currently posting via html buttons and images. I have a circumstance
> where I'd like to post via a hyperlink.
>
> 1) I don't want to use a scripting solution because the user may have
> scripting disabled.
> 2) I don't want to use fat urls because my form variables are encrypted (on
> the server) and I don't want to worry about illegal ascii characters that
> may mess up the hyperlink.
>
> I really don't want to use images or buttons and I hope that there is a way
> to post a hyperlink.

What about form buttons that don't look like buttons, styled as such
using CSS? Not ideal, but it might be your only option.

--
Hywel http://kibo.org.uk/
I do not eat quiche.

Dylan Parry

Hywel Jenkins wrote:

> What about form buttons that don't look like buttons, styled as such
> using CSS? Not ideal, but it might be your only option.

It might be possible to do something using a bit of Javascript, but with
a fallback for those without scripting...

Something like a link created with document.write() that contains some
sort of form.submit() method in its onclick attribute, but with a
<noscript> alternative immediately following that link that contains a
regular <input type="submit"> just in case scripting is disabled. Of
course, this button could be styled as Hywel suggests.

Bear in mind that I don't know Javascript very well enough to give you
the exact code you require, but I do know that what I suggest is possible.

--
Dylan Parry

Oli Filth

Fernie wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm currently posting via html buttons and images. I have a circumstance
> where I'd like to post via a hyperlink.
>
> 1) I don't want to use a scripting solution because the user may have
> scripting disabled.
> 2) I don't want to use fat urls because my form variables are encrypted (on
> the server) and I don't want to worry about illegal ascii characters that
> may mess up the hyperlink.
>
> I really don't want to use images or buttons and I hope that there is a way
> to post a hyperlink.
>
> Please advise,
>
> Fernie
>

> --
>
> ELKNews FREE Edition - Empower your News Reader! http://www.atozedsoftware.com

Why do you want to post something that hasn't come from a form? If you're
worried about "illegal" characters, then that's easy enough to get round at the
server-side, e.g. urlencode() in PHP.

Oli

Fernie

"Hywel Jenkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) t...

> What about form buttons that don't look like buttons, styled as such
> using CSS? Not ideal, but it might be your only option.

Coming back to your response, I wanted to say that I do use buttons to post.
But I have a situation where I'd like to show data as simple 'clickable'
text. When clicked data contained in hidden fields is posted.

I do think that I've got enough feedback to my problem to begin working on a
solution.

Regards,

Fernie

--

"Mitja" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newspsi9zqbbedob4us@localhost...
> On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 21:11:13 GMT, Fernie <Fernie@not_thisDocSignings.net>
> Number (2) is easily doable; since you're obviously using a server-side
> scripting language, have a look at its reference and find out how to
> encode URLs. This is done frequently; e.g. I'm sure you've noted URLs
> containg %20 (=an encoded space) before.

Thank you very much, I'll be looking into this.

Although I really wish that I could post via a hyperlink (without
implementing client side scripting), it does not appear to be possible.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

Regards,

Fernie

--

ELKNews FREE Edition - Empower your News Reader! http://www.atozedsoftware.com

Fernie

"Hywel Jenkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) t...
> What about form buttons that don't look like buttons, styled as such
> using CSS? Not ideal, but it might be your only option.

Hywel,

I'm beginning to feel comfortable with HTML, so CSS is totally forign to me.
But I'll keep your suggestion in mind in the event that I can't get things
working right.

Regards,

Fernie

--

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 06:10:04 GMT, Fernie <Fernie@not_thisDocSignings.net>
wrote:

> Although I really wish that I could post via a hyperlink (without
> implementing client side scripting), it does not appear to be possible.
> Please correct me if I am wrong.

Yes, it cannot be done using solely HTML.

--
Mitja

How to add a hyperlink column to asp.net datagrid - where only one value is a hyperlink davetichenor ASP .Net 1 10-30-2006 02:57 PM
How to add a hyperlink column to asp.net datagrid - where only one value is a hyperlink Dave ASP .Net Datagrid Control 0 10-21-2006 07:48 PM
Arrange emails + posts by thread? URAQT2 Firefox 9 02-24-2004 06:15 AM
hyperlink posts back Mark ASP .Net 1 02-10-2004 02:47 PM
Dynamically Hyperlink and Event Handler for the Hyperlink ? Ken ASP .Net Datagrid Control 1 08-15-2003 11:38 PM

Advertisments