Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Firefox demo page

Firefox demo page

steven

Hi,
I saw a webpage recently which demonstrated a number of *standard* HTML/CSS
features, most of which IE got wrong.
One was a PNG transparency demo, which had images of the sun and an eagle,
where you could move the eagle's shadow when you dragged the eagle or the
sun.
Seems I lost the link. I'd be grateful if some1 could tell me.

Steven

Ryan Stewart

"steven" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fMYwd.3739$(E-Mail Removed)-ops.be...
> Hi,
> I saw a webpage recently which demonstrated a number of *standard*
> HTML/CSS
> features, most of which IE got wrong.
> One was a PNG transparency demo, which had images of the sun and an eagle,
> where you could move the eagle's shadow when you dragged the eagle or the
> sun.
> Seems I lost the link. I'd be grateful if some1 could tell me.

Try Google first next time. Took me about 15 seconds to find this:
http://www.mozilla.org/start/1.0/demos/eagle-sun.html

Richard

Ryan Stewart wrote:

> "steven" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:fMYwd.3739$(E-Mail Removed)-ops.be...
>> Hi,
>> I saw a webpage recently which demonstrated a number of *standard*
>> HTML/CSS
>> features, most of which IE got wrong.
>> One was a PNG transparency demo, which had images of the sun and an
>> eagle, where you could move the eagle's shadow when you dragged the eagle
>> or the sun. Seems I lost the link. I'd be grateful if some1 could tell
>> me.

> Try Google first next time. Took me about 15 seconds to find this:
> http://www.mozilla.org/start/1.0/demos/eagle-sun.html

With that kind of demo, it only proves IE sucks royally.
IE doesn't know what to do with a png layer for sure.
In firefox, it worked perfectly.

Hate to say this, but I think I'll trash IE.

steven

"Ryan Stewart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "steven" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:fMYwd.3739$(E-Mail Removed)-ops.be...
> > Hi,
> > I saw a webpage recently which demonstrated a number of *standard*
> > HTML/CSS
> > features, most of which IE got wrong.
> > One was a PNG transparency demo, which had images of the sun and an

eagle,
> > where you could move the eagle's shadow when you dragged the eagle or

the
> > sun.
> > Seems I lost the link. I'd be grateful if some1 could tell me.
> >

> Try Google first next time. Took me about 15 seconds to find this:
> http://www.mozilla.org/start/1.0/demos/eagle-sun.html

Please, be kind to me, Ryan. Please.

Of course I tried Google first! Usually it's *me* who finds *anything*
within 15 seconds. Must have focused on the wrong keywords. The refering
page I was looking for is http://www.mozilla.org/start/1.0/demos.html.
Some nice demos there. Not surprisingly, IE gets the game right, but not the
relevant stuff. Well, that Microsoft for you, I guess...

Thanks,
Steven

Oli Filth

Richard wrote:
> Ryan Stewart wrote:
>

>>"steven" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:fMYwd.3739$(E-Mail Removed)-ops.be...
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>I saw a webpage recently which demonstrated a number of *standard*
>>>HTML/CSS
>>>features, most of which IE got wrong.
>>>One was a PNG transparency demo, which had images of the sun and an
>>>eagle, where you could move the eagle's shadow when you dragged the eagle
>>>or the sun. Seems I lost the link. I'd be grateful if some1 could tell
>>>me.

>>Try Google first next time. Took me about 15 seconds to find this:
>>http://www.mozilla.org/start/1.0/demos/eagle-sun.html

> With that kind of demo, it only proves IE sucks royally.
> IE doesn't know what to do with a png layer for sure.
> In firefox, it worked perfectly.
>
> Hate to say this, but I think I'll trash IE.

What's new ?!! Unfortunately, the lack of IE support for PNG alpha transparency
has been a problem for years. Microsoft's "solution" is to tell us to use the
AlphaImageLoader DirectX control for every PNG on a page, but this is the most
cack-handed workaround ever.

Oli

steven

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ryan Stewart wrote:
>
> > "steven" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:fMYwd.3739$(E-Mail Removed)-ops.be...
> >> Hi,
> >> I saw a webpage recently which demonstrated a number of *standard*
> >> HTML/CSS
> >> features, most of which IE got wrong.
> >> One was a PNG transparency demo, which had images of the sun and an
> >> eagle, where you could move the eagle's shadow when you dragged the

eagle
> >> or the sun. Seems I lost the link. I'd be grateful if some1 could tell
> >> me.

> > Try Google first next time. Took me about 15 seconds to find this:
> > http://www.mozilla.org/start/1.0/demos/eagle-sun.html

> With that kind of demo, it only proves IE sucks royally.
> IE doesn't know what to do with a png layer for sure.
> In firefox, it worked perfectly.
>
> Hate to say this, but I think I'll trash IE.

In case you need another argument, see http://www.nefkom.net/g.piesche/ie/.
I realise that statements like "IE sucks" can easily provoke another
flame-war. However, the argument isn't just emotional: all the examples
illustrate *facts*. IE does not comply with standards and messes up pages
which do.
Would you buy a watch with the long hand indicating the hours, and the short
hand indicating the minutes?

Hywel Jenkins

In article <Afbxd.4197$(E-Mail Removed)-ops.be>,
> "Richard" <Anonymous@127.001> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Ryan Stewart wrote:
> >
> > > "steven" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:fMYwd.3739$(E-Mail Removed)-ops.be...

> eagle
> > > Try Google first next time. Took me about 15 seconds to find this:
> > > http://www.mozilla.org/start/1.0/demos/eagle-sun.html

> > With that kind of demo, it only proves IE sucks royally.
> > IE doesn't know what to do with a png layer for sure.
> > In firefox, it worked perfectly.
> >
> > Hate to say this, but I think I'll trash IE.
> >

> In case you need another argument, see http://www.nefkom.net/g.piesche/ie/.
> I realise that statements like "IE sucks" can easily provoke another
> flame-war. However, the argument isn't just emotional: all the examples
> illustrate *facts*. IE does not comply with standards and messes up pages
> which do.
> Would you buy a watch with the long hand indicating the hours, and the short
> hand indicating the minutes?

The length of the hands is almost irrelevant as the wearer would soon
adapt to the difference.

--
Hywel http://kibo.org.uk/
I do not eat quiche.

steven

"Hywel Jenkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) t...
> In article <Afbxd.4197$(E-Mail Removed)-ops.be>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
> > "Richard" <Anonymous@127.001> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> > eagle

tell

> > > With that kind of demo, it only proves IE sucks royally.
> > > IE doesn't know what to do with a png layer for sure.
> > > In firefox, it worked perfectly.
> > >
> > > Hate to say this, but I think I'll trash IE.
> > >

> > In case you need another argument, see

http://www.nefkom.net/g.piesche/ie/.
> > I realise that statements like "IE sucks" can easily provoke another
> > flame-war. However, the argument isn't just emotional: all the examples
> > illustrate *facts*. IE does not comply with standards and messes up

pages
> > which do.
> > Would you buy a watch with the long hand indicating the hours, and the

short
> > hand indicating the minutes?

> The length of the hands is almost irrelevant as the wearer would soon
> adapt to the difference.

Until she has to read the time on another watch...

Ryan Stewart

f"steven" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Vicxd.4251$(E-Mail Removed)-ops.be...
> "Hywel Jenkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) t...
>> In article <Afbxd.4197$(E-Mail Removed)-ops.be>,
>> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> > Would you buy a watch with the long hand indicating the hours, and the

> short
>> > hand indicating the minutes?

>> The length of the hands is almost irrelevant as the wearer would soon
>> adapt to the difference.
>>

> Until she has to read the time on another watch...

Regardless, I would still buy the watch.

SpaceGirl

steven wrote:
> "Hywel Jenkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) t...
>
>>In article <Afbxd.4197$(E-Mail Removed)-ops.be>,
>>(E-Mail Removed) says...
>>
>>>"Richard" <Anonymous@127.001> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>>eagle

> tell

>>>In case you need another argument, see

> http://www.nefkom.net/g.piesche/ie/.
>
>>>I realise that statements like "IE sucks" can easily provoke another
>>>flame-war. However, the argument isn't just emotional: all the examples
>>>illustrate *facts*. IE does not comply with standards and messes up

> pages
>
>>>which do.
>>>Would you buy a watch with the long hand indicating the hours, and the

> short
>
>>>hand indicating the minutes?

>>The length of the hands is almost irrelevant as the wearer would soon
>>adapt to the difference.
>>

> Until she has to read the time on another watch...

Problem is, the watch came with birth and it's very hard to remove. And
most people cant be bothered and are scared by other watches because
they're harder to use.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)