Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Browser based HTML editor for database content?

Browser based HTML editor for database content?

Noozer

I've been tasked to create a small online knowledgebase for our intranet.
The database structure has been laid out and we will be using ASP to access
the database and generate the searches and results. Most is this is very
straighforward stuff.

The issue I have is how to edit the content of each knowledgebase article...

- The article content is formatted using HTML to allow styling, links, etc.
to be included with the article.
- The articles should be created and edited in a browser based editor. No MS
Word, etc. as we want to keep the articles as clean and unbloated as
possible.
- It's possible that whomever is editing the articles will not be an HTML
coder, so just having a <textarea> to edit the article content is not the
best solution (but the best I have so far)

If it wasn't for the need to let HTML newbies edit the content, this would
be a very simple site to create.

Can someone make some suggestions on how to best edit the content of our
articles?

Thanks!

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Noozer" <(E-Mail Removed)>
writing in news:Ul%vd.501833$Pl.328897@pd7tw1no:

> I've been tasked to create a small online knowledgebase for our
> intranet. The database structure has been laid out and we will be
> using ASP to access the database and generate the searches and
> results. Most is this is very straighforward stuff.
>
> The issue I have is how to edit the content of each knowledgebase
> article...
>
> - The article content is formatted using HTML to allow styling, links,
> etc. to be included with the article.
> - The articles should be created and edited in a browser based editor.
> No MS Word, etc. as we want to keep the articles as clean and
> unbloated as possible.
> - It's possible that whomever is editing the articles will not be an
> HTML coder, so just having a <textarea> to edit the article content is
> not the best solution (but the best I have so far)
>
> If it wasn't for the need to let HTML newbies edit the content, this
> would be a very simple site to create.
>
> Can someone make some suggestions on how to best edit the content of
> our articles?
>
> Thanks!

HMTLArea might be what you're looking for. Since you're on an Intranet,
and you have control. Check out <http://www.htmlarea.com/> and see if
that would help.

--
Adrienne Boswell
Please respond to the Group so others can share

Nik Coughin

Adrienne Boswell wrote:
> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Noozer" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> writing in news:Ul%vd.501833$Pl.328897@pd7tw1no:
>
>> - The articles should be created and edited in a browser based
>> editor. No MS Word, etc. as we want to keep the articles as clean and
>> unbloated as possible.

> HMTLArea might be what you're looking for. Since you're on an
> Intranet, and you have control. Check out <http://www.htmlarea.com/>
> and see if that would help.

I quite like the concept of HTMLArea, but be warned, it generates absolutely
foul html (at least the last time I played with it).

wayne

Nik Coughin wrote:
> Adrienne Boswell wrote:
>
>>Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Noozer" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>writing in news:Ul%vd.501833$Pl.328897@pd7tw1no:
>>

>>>- The articles should be created and edited in a browser based
>>>editor. No MS Word, etc. as we want to keep the articles as clean and
>>>unbloated as possible.

>>HMTLArea might be what you're looking for. Since you're on an
>>Intranet, and you have control. Check out <http://www.htmlarea.com/>
>>and see if that would help.

> I quite like the concept of HTMLArea, but be warned, it generates absolutely
> foul html (at least the last time I played with it).

You might want to try Nvu. I understand it will be the replacement for
Mozilla Composer. It is a free download at:

http://www.nvu.com/

The code generated is pretty clean, although it inserts too many <br>s
for my taste. It also has a built in CSS editor and you can download
plugins. One is "Markup cleaner". I use Linux and am not sue if that
plugin is available for MS, but the editor easily generates html from a
WYSIWYG interface.

Wayne

Toby Inkster

wayne wrote:

> You might want to try Nvu. I understand it will be the replacement for
> Mozilla Composer. It is a free download at:
> http://www.nvu.com/

It's a nice editor, but not much use in this context.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Toby Inkster

Noozer wrote:

> - It's possible that whomever is editing the articles will not be an HTML
> coder, so just having a <textarea> to edit the article content is not the
> best solution (but the best I have so far)

Looked into bbcodes? Everyone understands bbcodes!

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Si

Noozer wrote:

> - The article content is formatted using HTML to allow styling, links, etc.
> to be included with the article.
> - The articles should be created and edited in a browser based editor. No MS
> Word, etc. as we want to keep the articles as clean and unbloated as
> possible.

> If it wasn't for the need to let HTML newbies edit the content, this would
> be a very simple site to create.
>
> Can someone make some suggestions on how to best edit the content of our
> articles?
>
> Thanks!

I have had a similar system running but the html was so bad I scrapped
the editor.

But.. i recently found this http://www.richtexteditor.org/demo/ which
seems to produce *almost* acceptable code for CMS. I personally would
strip back most of the facilities though. Still loads of <br>'s rather
than <p> though.

Si

Noozer

> > The issue I have is how to edit the content of each knowledgebase
> > article...
> >
> > - The article content is formatted using HTML to allow styling, links,
> > etc. to be included with the article.
> > - The articles should be created and edited in a browser based editor.
> > No MS Word, etc. as we want to keep the articles as clean and
> > unbloated as possible.
> > - It's possible that whomever is editing the articles will not be an
> > HTML coder, so just having a <textarea> to edit the article content is
> > not the best solution (but the best I have so far)

> HMTLArea might be what you're looking for. Since you're on an Intranet,
> and you have control. Check out <http://www.htmlarea.com/> and see if
> that would help.

This looks quite promising.

I wasn't looking forward to developing something myself.

Thanks for the help folks!

writing in news:Eohwd.524313$nl.13531@pd7tw3no:

>> > The issue I have is how to edit the content of each knowledgebase
>> > article...
>> >

>> HMTLArea might be what you're looking for. Since you're on an
>> Intranet, and you have control. Check out <http://www.htmlarea.com/>
>> and see if that would help.

In addition to that, you can put HTML-Tidy on the server, and have it
clean up the code that HTMLArea produces. Here's an article on how to
do it <http://vsbabu.org/techbits/tidywithasp.html>.

Interestingly enough, just this afternoon I discovered that I would be
needing to use something like this for the company website. Since
HTMLArea doesn't produce the best markup, I was thinking about writing
functions to replace the bad markup. Then I decided to Google for "HTML
Tidy ASP" (no quotes), and I found this.

So, now there is absolutely no excuse for having bad markup! Yippe!

--
Adrienne Boswell
Please respond to the Group so others can share

Noozer

> >> HMTLArea might be what you're looking for. Since you're on an
> >> Intranet, and you have control. Check out <http://www.htmlarea.com/>
> >> and see if that would help.

> In addition to that, you can put HTML-Tidy on the server, and have it
> clean up the code that HTMLArea produces. Here's an article on how to
> do it <http://vsbabu.org/techbits/tidywithasp.html>.

Unfortunately I don't have control of the intranet server, so I can't
register the DLL, etc. to use HTML-Tidy. Definately something to consider
for my own servers later though.

Thanks!