Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > should my content be resizable ?

should my content be resizable ?

Mel

i see a lot of sites with fixed width and height and on my GIANT screen,
they all look "kinda" oweful

why not resizable, so people with large kahuna's can see more ????

Matthew Superstar Swass

This is where the coders the the photoshoppers will butt heads.

You take the detailed layouts away, and this is a breeze. But this isn't 1997
anymore, and many designers create their works of art first and then worry
about usability across various resolutions as a second thought.

A couple interesting topics are using JS redirection based on screen res, and
image size correlation with text size.

Both have their upsides and downsides depending on your specific situation.

The only way to really tackle this issue though is to dummy your designs up,
but that too comes at a price.

Karl Core

"Matthew Superstar Swass" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> This is where the coders the the photoshoppers will butt heads.
>
> You take the detailed layouts away, and this is a breeze. But this isn't
> 1997
> anymore, and many designers create their works of art first and then worry
> about usability across various resolutions as a second thought.

Many people shoot heroin for fun. That doesn't make it a good idea.
While there are certainly a lot of other contributing factors to a site's
usability, all things being equal, the flexible site will do better in a
usability test.

> A couple interesting topics are using JS redirection based on screen res,

screen resolution != browser window size.
My monitor is 1680 pixels wide. What size window do you think I browse the
web with?

--
-Karl Core
Please Support "Project Boneyard":

nice.guy.nige

While the city slept, Karl Core ((E-Mail Removed)) feverishly
typed...
> screen resolution != browser window size.
> My monitor is 1680 pixels wide. What size window do you think I
> browse the web with?

4! ..... no... 9!

..... oh go on then, I give up.

Cheers,
Nige

--
Nigel Moss
http://www.nigenet.org.uk

Travis Newbury

> i see a lot of sites with fixed width and height and on my GIANT screen,
> they all look "kinda" oweful
> why not resizable, so people with large kahuna's can see more ????

Re sizable does not allow for a fixed graphics look. Some people like
that look.
--
-=*Tn*=-

Travis Newbury

In article <cpq548$71e$(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> > You take the detailed layouts away, and this is a breeze. But this isn't
> > 1997
> > anymore, and many designers create their works of art first and then worry
> > about usability across various resolutions as a second thought.

> Many people shoot heroin for fun. That doesn't make it a good idea.

<rolling eyes>
Great analogy.
</rolling eyes>

> While there are certainly a lot of other contributing factors to a site's
> usability, all things being equal, the flexible site will do better in a
> usability test.

Well that only makes sense. With a flexible layout you lose the
detailed layout look. So you lose some individuality to gain usability.
It's a trade off.
--
-=*Tn*=-

Neal

Travis Newbury:

> Well that only makes sense. With a flexible layout you lose the
> detailed layout look. So you lose some individuality to gain usability.
> It's a trade off.

So, you're saying that a flexible layout cannot be designed which has
individuality?

Are you on dope?

Nik Coughin

Neal wrote:
> Travis Newbury:
>
>> Well that only makes sense. With a flexible layout you lose the
>> detailed layout look. So you lose some individuality to gain
>> usability. It's a trade off.

> So, you're saying that a flexible layout cannot be designed which has
> individuality?
>
> Are you on dope?

No, crack.

I translate fixed width designs from graphic designers into fluid layouts
all the time.

rf

Nea" wrote:
> Karl Core wrote:

> > > Many people shoot heroin for fun. That doesn't make it a good idea.

> Are you on dope?

Heroin surely.

--
Cheers
Richard.

Leif K-Brooks

Travis Newbury wrote:
> Re sizable does not allow for a fixed graphics look. Some people like
> that look.

Some people like the look of mold. That's not a good reason to eat moldy
food.