Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > refresh page icon

refresh page icon

charleh

Hello,

I'm in the middle of building a forum and would like to add a refresh button
which allows visitors to refresh the page without using the icon on the
toolbar.

I have seen this on various sites but I wasn't sure if there is HTML code or
javascript involved.

thanks

SpaceGirl

charleh wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm in the middle of building a forum and would like to add a refresh button
> which allows visitors to refresh the page without using the icon on the
> toolbar.
>
> I have seen this on various sites but I wasn't sure if there is HTML code or
> javascript involved.
>
> thanks

there's a little javascript that 'sort of works'.

The problem is, the page is very likely to just be fetched from cache.
And the browser knows this so doesn't actually bother refreshing at all!
Duh. There are more complicated tricks (such as generating a random
number and passing it as parameter to the page so that the browser
'thinks' that the page you are visiting is new or unique)... but it gets
complicated quickly. Try it and see.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

charleh

great, thanks for the response. I'll try this out

charleh

"SpaceGirl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> charleh wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm in the middle of building a forum and would like to add a refresh

button
> > which allows visitors to refresh the page without using the icon on the
> > toolbar.
> >
> > I have seen this on various sites but I wasn't sure if there is HTML

code or
> > javascript involved.
> >
> > thanks
> >

> there's a little javascript that 'sort of works'.

> The problem is, the page is very likely to just be fetched from cache.
> And the browser knows this so doesn't actually bother refreshing at all!
> Duh. There are more complicated tricks (such as generating a random
> number and passing it as parameter to the page so that the browser
> 'thinks' that the page you are visiting is new or unique)... but it gets
> complicated quickly. Try it and see.
>
> --
>

> x theSpaceGirl (miranda)
>
> # lead designer @ http://www.dhnewmedia.com #
> # remove NO SPAM to email, or use form on website #

Richard Rundle

"charleh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> I'm in the middle of building a forum and would like to add a refresh

button
> which allows visitors to refresh the page without using the icon on the
> toolbar.

Why ? This seems like a classic case of re-inventing the wheel.

--
Richard

RobM

"charleh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> I'm in the middle of building a forum and would like to add a refresh

button
> which allows visitors to refresh the page without using the icon on the
> toolbar.
>
> I have seen this on various sites but I wasn't sure if there is HTML code

or
> javascript involved.
>
> thanks

Hi, wouldn't this just be a submit button, coming back to the same page?

Cheers
RobM

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html, charleh <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> I'm in the middle of building a forum and would like to add a refresh button
> which allows visitors to refresh the page without using the icon on the
> toolbar.

Why? Your visitor already has a perfectly good refresh (or reload, or
whatever) button built into their browser. Why would they need one on
your page as well?

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

charleh

Calm down ladies

When you refresh the page using the browser button it does exactly that,
refreshes the page. I only want to refresh the current forum the visitor is
on. This saves navigating your way back from the main page to the forum and
onto the thread you were just reading

"Mark Parnell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1x3prjfawlkcy.rddx8zvbtwsa$.mark@markparnell. com.au...
> Previously in alt.html, charleh <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
> > I'm in the middle of building a forum and would like to add a refresh

button
> > which allows visitors to refresh the page without using the icon on the
> > toolbar.

> Why? Your visitor already has a perfectly good refresh (or reload, or
> whatever) button built into their browser. Why would they need one on
> your page as well?
>
> --
> Mark Parnell
> http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

Steve Pugh

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 14:08:59 -0000, "charleh"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>When you refresh the page using the browser button it does exactly that,
>refreshes the page. I only want to refresh the current forum the visitor is
>on.

But surely the forum the user is on is the current page?

> This saves navigating your way back from the main page to the forum and
>onto the thread you were just reading

You're using frames aren't you? Silly you.

Steve

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html, charleh <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> When you refresh the page using the browser button it does exactly that,
> refreshes the page.

Yessss...

> I only want to refresh the current forum the visitor is
> on.

Which would be...let's see...the current page!

> This saves navigating your way back from the main page to the forum and
> onto the thread you were just reading

I'm refreshing the current page; why would I be taken back to the main
page of the site?

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

charleh

Q. How many alt.html'ers does it take to change a lightbulb?

A. All of them. 1 to actually change the lightbulb and the rest to ask why
and offer no help whatsoever.

Merry Christmas!

news:12nxcya4sn7em$.nd5poly3mu0g$.mark@markparnell .com.au...