Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Tilde In File Names: What Function?

Reply
Thread Tools

Tilde In File Names: What Function?

 
 
(Pete Cresswell)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-10-2004
In file and directory names associated with web pages, I often see a tilde as
the first character.

I'm guessing this servs some useful function, but what?

e.g. http://www.armory.com/~images/
--
PeteCresswell
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Spartanicus
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-10-2004
"(Pete Cresswell)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In file and directory names associated with web pages, I often see a tilde as
>the first character.
>
>I'm guessing this servs some useful function, but what?
>
>e.g. http://www.armory.com/~images/


ISPs using an Apache web server typically provide webspace to their
users in that form, for example http://www.isp.com/~username

--
Spartanicus
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Leif K-Brooks
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-10-2004
(Pete Cresswell) wrote:
> In file and directory names associated with web pages, I often see a tilde as
> the first character.
>
> I'm guessing this servs some useful function, but what?
>
> e.g. http://www.armory.com/~images/


It serves the purpose of being a tilde; there's no special meaning
assigned by URI specifications. Many Web servers use it to refer to a
particular user's Web site, but again, that's not defined in any standard.

Jukka K. Korpela has an interesting article on why tildes shouldn't be
used in Web addresses; see <URL:http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/tilde.html>.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Neal
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-10-2004
Leif K-Brooks:

> Jukka K. Korpela has an interesting article on why tildes shouldn't be
> used in Web addresses; see
> <URL:http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/tilde.html>.


Irony, isn't it beautiful?? Ought you to have typed:

<http://www.cs.tut.fi/%7Ejkorpela/tilde.html>

?
 
Reply With Quote
 
Richard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-10-2004
(Pete Cresswell) wrote:

> In file and directory names associated with web pages, I often see a
> tilde as the first character.


> I'm guessing this servs some useful function, but what?


> e.g. http://www.armory.com/~images/
> --
> PeteCresswell



One definition I read said, "There is a directory by this name somewhere,
find it.".
IMHO I believe it's used by people who do not understand how things work.
Or...it is understood fully and used in various ways.

I asked a host if I could set up a directory using the IP instead of my
domain name.
They said sure, just acess it as 127.000.000.001/~myfiles.

My news service, newsguy, allows users to setup pseudo websites and the
acess method is with newsguy.co/~membersite.

This may also help to denote a difference between /~images and /images where
the latter is a directory of the main website.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Richard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-10-2004
Neal wrote:

> Leif K-Brooks:


>> Jukka K. Korpela has an interesting article on why tildes shouldn't be
>> used in Web addresses; see
>> <URL:http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/tilde.html>.


> Irony, isn't it beautiful?? Ought you to have typed:


> <http://www.cs.tut.fi/%7Ejkorpela/tilde.html>


> ?



Who the sam hell is gonna remember "%7e" anyways?
And like how often is it used?


 
Reply With Quote
 
Dylan Parry
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-11-2004
(Pete Cresswell) wrote:
[Tilde in URL]
> I'm guessing this servs some useful function, but what?


Generally, if using Apache, then the tilde refers to a Website that is
located within the public_html directory for the user references after
the tilde, eg. http://mysite.com/~dylan would be for the user named
"dylan" and would have the files located in "/home/dylan/public_html" --
this way, large organisations such as Universities can have Websites
served for everyone with a login.

Of course, this is just /typical/ and might not be exactly the same with
all setups.

--
Dylan Parry
http://webpageworkshop.co.uk -- FREE Web tutorials and references
 
Reply With Quote
 
erikd@nospam.wanted.here
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-11-2004
On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 16:11:24 GMT, "(Pete Cresswell)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In file and directory names associated with web pages, I often see a tilde as
>the first character.
>
>I'm guessing this servs some useful function, but what?
>
>e.g. http://www.armory.com/~images/


Tilde in unix speak refers to the home directory. So I'm guessing that
whenever you see the tilde in a URL, it's running the web server on a
unix box and the files are located under the users directory rather
than some other directory.

--
Erik
 
Reply With Quote
 
Richard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-11-2004
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 16:11:24 GMT, "(Pete Cresswell)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:


>>In file and directory names associated with web pages, I often see a
>>tilde as the first character. I'm guessing this servs some useful

> function, but what? e.g. http://www.armory.com/~images/


> Tilde in unix speak refers to the home directory. So I'm guessing that
> whenever you see the tilde in a URL, it's running the web server on a
> unix box and the files are located under the users directory rather
> than some other directory.


When I had asked my host of this, that's how they said to access the files.
domain.com/~files.
Problem is, I thought at first I could use any name I wanted, but got
roadblocked because "already in use" kept popping up. Why?
I finally figured out that it wasn't because it was only for me, but for
others who were also hosted on the same IP.
So it may be it is a public directory thing rather than a directory listing
within a particular domain.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Toby Inkster
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-11-2004
Spartanicus wrote:

> ISPs using an Apache web server typically provide webspace to their
> users in that form, for example http://www.isp.com/~username


Furthermore tildes in file names by convention refer to backup copies.

e.g. http://www.example.org/robots.txt~ is a backup copy of
http://www.example.org/robots.txt

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
Contact Me ~ http://tobyinkster.co.uk/contact

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tilde File Name Rider NZ Computing 10 01-27-2005 07:35 AM
parse tilde delimited file monte C++ 3 09-23-2004 09:17 PM
Use of Tilde (~) and <LINK> =?Utf-8?B?QWxleCBNYWdoZW4=?= ASP .Net 2 05-10-2004 11:06 PM
tilde-replacement changes from framework 1.0 to 1.1 ???? CHristian Niss ASP .Net 0 10-31-2003 09:19 AM
Tilde for relative path SStory ASP .Net 2 10-19-2003 12:45 AM



Advertisments