Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Browser style support statements?

Browser style support statements?

Paul D.Smith

All,

Having had a frustrating evening trying to get a border attribute to work in
a table style using IE 5.5, I tried to find a nice table of "this is the
HTML feature, here is a "yes, no, qualified statement" of what works, and
what doesn't for various browsers and their versions.

I failed miserably! Am I just a lousy web surfer or does such a simple,
clear list not exist? If it does, where is it please?

Paul DS.
--
Please remove the "x-" if replying to sender.

Spartanicus

"Paul D.Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Having had a frustrating evening trying to get a border attribute to work in
>a table style using IE 5.5, I tried to find a nice table of "this is the
>HTML feature, here is a "yes, no, qualified statement" of what works, and
>what doesn't for various browsers and their versions.
>
>I failed miserably! Am I just a lousy web surfer or does such a simple,
>clear list not exist?

It's not possible to do that reliably, for example a specified width on
a div element may be rendered, but not if it's display property has been
set to inline. The latter may be written as part of the same style rule,
or it may be specified somewhere else entirely.

There are no shortcuts that can act as a substitute for actually
learning css.

--
Spartanicus

Paul D.Smith

"Spartanicus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) anicus.utvinternet.ie...
> "Paul D.Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Having had a frustrating evening trying to get a border attribute to work

in
> >a table style using IE 5.5, I tried to find a nice table of "this is the
> >HTML feature, here is a "yes, no, qualified statement" of what works, and
> >what doesn't for various browsers and their versions.
> >
> >I failed miserably! Am I just a lousy web surfer or does such a simple,
> >clear list not exist?

> It's not possible to do that reliably, for example a specified width on
> a div element may be rendered, but not if it's display property has been
> set to inline. The latter may be written as part of the same style rule,
> or it may be specified somewhere else entirely.
>
> There are no shortcuts that can act as a substitute for actually
> learning css.
>
> --
> Spartanicus

Umm. I'm trying to learn CSS but nobody I've talked to can explain what is
wrong with my attempt to define a style for use with tables. General
concensus is that IE 5.5 doesn't support this in which case learning CSS
would not help me at all. What I need is somewhere I can go to determine
"is my CSS knowledge lacking" or "am I flogging a dead horse because IE
doesn't support this anyway"!

FYI, I've going the following...

<HTML>
<STYLE>
TABLE.census {BORDER: 1px}
</STYLE>
<BODY>
<TABLE class=census>
....regular table entries here...
</TABLE>
</BODY>
</HTML>

This doesn't work whereas explicit <TABLE BORDER=1px> does. I haven't found
anything that indicates what is wrong - do you know? Interstingly, using
WIDTH: 50% (or WIDTH=50% as appropriate) works fine.

Paul DS.

Matthias Gutfeldt

Paul D.Smith wrote:
> <STYLE>
> TABLE.census {BORDER: 1px}

^^^^^

Since you don't specify a style, the border is not displayed! Like it
says in the specification,
<http://w3c.org/TR/CSS21/box.html#propdef-border>:

"Since the initial value of the border styles is 'none', no borders will
be visible unless the border style is set."

To be safe, you should also set the border color.

So change your style rule like this:

table.census {border:solid 1px black;}

HTH,
Matthias

Barbara de Zoete

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 10:04:35 -0000, Paul D.Smith
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Spartanicus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) anicus.utvinternet.ie...
>> "Paul D.Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Having had a frustrating evening trying to get a border attribute to
>>> work in a table style using IE 5.5, I tried to find a nice table of
>>> "this is the HTML feature, here is a "yes, no, qualified statement" of
>>> what works, and what doesn't for various browsers and their versions.

>> There are no shortcuts that can act as a substitute for actually
>> learning css.
>>
>> --
>> Spartanicus

Can you please fix your news client to delete the sig? Or do it manually.

> FYI, I've going the following...
>
> <HTML>
> <STYLE>

What style? Use <style type="text/css"> instead.

> TABLE.census {BORDER: 1px}

1px Of what? Groove? Dotted? Solid? Give sufficient information to a
browser and it will render fine.

See <http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-CSS21-20020802/tables.html#borders> for
more info.

--
Weblog | <http://home.wanadoo.nl/b.de.zoete/_private/weblog.html>
Webontwerp | <http://home.wanadoo.nl/b.de.zoete/html/webontwerp.html>

Paul D.Smith

Thanks to all for pointing me in the right direction.

Paul DS.

C A Upsdell

"Paul D.Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:41b974b3$0$19154$(E-Mail Removed). net...
> "Spartanicus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> This doesn't work whereas explicit <TABLE BORDER=1px> does.

But it should not work. The BORDER attribute does not take units: it is
always pixels.