Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Drop-down combo box question?

Drop-down combo box question?

DaKitty

I added a drop down menu (is it called combo box?) as a jump to a month
in a calendar.
example: http://mastersmvnswim.org/calendar/0305.htm
Is this a good way to handle it?

I can't seem to be able to change the coloring or text style,
appearance of the box. I gather you may not be able to do much?

Would a a show/hide layer on ouseover kind of a thing be a better
solution? I'm not sure if I'm calling it right, and don't know how I'd
go about coding it.. Might be a good next trick to learn. I know with
layers and ordered lists you have more control over the appearance.

Oh and pleez, no comments on frames and the rest of the site, I
inhereted it... maybe someday I'll get time to change a bunch of
things.

I've been googling things about navigation, what people like, what is
useful and functional. The more I read, the more I'm not sure what
wouild be the best thing to do on a pretty complex website, needing
several levels of categories.
If anyone has interesting websites or other references you'd like to
share, I'd appreciate it.

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html, DaKitty <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> I added a drop down menu (is it called combo box?)

<select> element?

> as a jump to a month
> in a calendar.
> example: http://mastersmvnswim.org/calendar/0305.htm

That box doesn't do anything for me - doesn't even drop down with the
list of options. It's completely disabled.

BTW: You might want to either get rid of the ASP stuff, or make it an
ASP page.

> Is this a good way to handle it?

Not really (assuming you can actually use the select box). What happens
for those without Javascript? (Hint: not much)

> I can't seem to be able to change the coloring or text style,
> appearance of the box. I gather you may not be able to do much?

Browsers are generally pretty picky as to what they will allow you to do
to form elements. Understandably, since users need to be able to
recognise them as such.

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

DaKitty

"Mark Parnell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:kcrpmvbmkjd4.1lgi3ki0u9xoy$.mark@markparnell. com.au...
> Previously in alt.html, DaKitty <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
> > I added a drop down menu (is it called combo box?)

> <select> element?
>
> > as a jump to a month
> > in a calendar.
> > example: http://mastersmvnswim.org/calendar/0305.htm

> That box doesn't do anything for me - doesn't even drop down with the
> list of options. It's completely disabled.
>
> BTW: You might want to either get rid of the ASP stuff, or make it an
> ASP page.

Huh? Which ASP?

> > Is this a good way to handle it?

> Not really (assuming you can actually use the select box). What happens
> for those without Javascript? (Hint: not much)

That's for the layer based thing, right?
I almost always use a secondary text only navigation bar, jsut in case, at
the bottom of the page. Sometimes I like to use it too, if I'm at the bottom
of the page, and don't feel like scrolling up.

> > I can't seem to be able to change the coloring or text style,
> > appearance of the box. I gather you may not be able to do much?

> Browsers are generally pretty picky as to what they will allow you to do
> to form elements. Understandably, since users need to be able to
> recognise them as such.

So, when people I'm making the website for are in love with dropdowns, and I
can't talk them out if it, what do you suggest?

rf

DaKitty

< %@LANGUAGE="VBSCRIPT" CODEPAGE="1252"%>

> So, when people I'm making the website for are in love with dropdowns, and

> can't talk them out if it, what do you suggest?

Get a new client?

What about a row of numbers across the top of the screen just like you get
in google to list the "pages" of the results, or even the short names of the
month. I would prefer that to a select element any day.

--
Cheers
Richard.

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html, DaKitty <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

[http://mastersmvnswim.org/calendar/0305.htm]
> Huh? Which ASP?

<%@LANGUAGE="VBSCRIPT" CODEPAGE="1252"%>

At the very top of the page, before the doctype.

> I almost always use a secondary text only navigation bar, jsut in case, at
> the bottom of the page. Sometimes I like to use it too, if I'm at the bottom
> of the page, and don't feel like scrolling up.

Fair enough (though I would put it at the top, instead of/as well as the
bottom). In that situation, what you are probably best to do is to write
the select element on the page with Javascript as well (e.g.
document.write), so those without Javascript don't even see it.
Otherwise they may try and use it, and then wonder why it doesn't work.

> So, when people I'm making the website for are in love with dropdowns, and I
> can't talk them out if it, what do you suggest?

See above.

BTW: At certain narrow-ish window widths, the <select> goes over the
December 2004 link. And those links don't work without Javascript
either.

--

news:1k6wqmod69k8s$.ejlahzronx2j.mark@markparnell. com.au...
> Previously in alt.html, DaKitty <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
> [http://mastersmvnswim.org/calendar/0305.htm]
> > Huh? Which ASP?

> <%@LANGUAGE="VBSCRIPT" CODEPAGE="1252"%>
>
> At the very top of the page, before the doctype.

Oh! thanks, I didn't know what that was.
I think it was a leftover from another experiment, but I didn't dare remove
it.

> > I almost always use a secondary text only navigation bar, jsut in case,

at
> > the bottom of the page. Sometimes I like to use it too, if I'm at the

bottom
> > of the page, and don't feel like scrolling up.

> Fair enough (though I would put it at the top, instead of/as well as the
> bottom). In that situation, what you are probably best to do is to write
> the select element on the page with Javascript as well (e.g.
> document.write), so those without Javascript don't even see it.
> Otherwise they may try and use it, and then wonder why it doesn't work.

Good point! Thanks!

> > So, when people I'm making the website for are in love with dropdowns,

and I
> > can't talk them out if it, what do you suggest?

> See above.
>
> BTW: At certain narrow-ish window widths, the <select> goes over the
> December 2004 link. And those links don't work without Javascript
> either.

I see what you're saying about going over.
The december and feb. links point to nothing at the moment, on purpose.
Otherwise they're just plain text and hyperlink.
Wait, I'm not sure which ones don't work without javascript, the form combo
box?

(Sorry I'm asking all these basic questions)

DaKitty

"rf" <rf@.invalid> wrote in message
news:OY9ud.66708$(E-Mail Removed)...
> DaKitty
>
> > Huh? Which ASP?

> < %@LANGUAGE="VBSCRIPT" CODEPAGE="1252"%>
>
> > So, when people I'm making the website for are in love with dropdowns,

and
> > can't talk them out if it, what do you suggest?

> Get a new client?

Ha! This one is a freebie for my boyfriend. Don't think I can trade that one
in very easily!
Plus it's sort of my learning pet project.

> What about a row of numbers across the top of the screen just like you get
> in google to list the "pages" of the results, or even the short names of

the
> month. I would prefer that to a select element any day.

yea, I like it better when I can scan through what's available without
having to pick or mouse over it.
Plus, when you move the mouse off the menus most of them disappear in a
flash, so if you accidentally cut too much across, and don't stay on the
menu, it closes. That's sooooo annoying.

I have something similar to what you're talking about on the team records
page:
http://mastersmvnswim.org/19-24scm.htm
(I haven't gotten around any kind of an html cleanup on this page, so you'll
have to brace yourself, there's probably all kinds of junk in the code.)

But they see 'all the new and cool websites' have the dropdowns, so they
want the dropdowns.
He's been bugging me to make him some dropdowns for a year now.
I keep saying it's not a really good solution for navigation...
I'm thinking, I'll put them on there for a while, let him get that out of
his system. He'll get annoyed with them eventually! Then I can have my way
again.

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html, DaKitty <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> The december and feb. links point to nothing at the moment, on purpose.
> Otherwise they're just plain text and hyperlink.

OK, np. Didn't actually try them with Javascript either.

> Wait, I'm not sure which ones don't work without javascript, the form combo
> box?

As I said in my original reply, the <select> box I can't do anything
with at all, either with or without Javascript - can't even make it drop
down to show me the options.

--

news:1icmoklhgx7hx$.1bfkg84mhb6s8$.mark@markparnel l.com.au...
> Previously in alt.html, DaKitty <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
> > The december and feb. links point to nothing at the moment, on purpose.
> > Otherwise they're just plain text and hyperlink.

> OK, np. Didn't actually try them with Javascript either.
>
> > Wait, I'm not sure which ones don't work without javascript, the form

combo
> > box?

> As I said in my original reply, the <select> box I can't do anything
> with at all, either with or without Javascript - can't even make it drop
> down to show me the options.

I have no idea why that is?
Is it a browser issue?
Can you gimmie a hint, pleez?

rf

DaKitty wrote:
> "Mark Parnell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> > As I said in my original reply, the <select> box I can't do anything
> > with at all, either with or without Javascript - can't even make it drop
> > down to show me the options.

> I have no idea why that is?
> Is it a browser issue?
> Can you gimmie a hint, pleez?

It is because of the way you have those "layers" organized.

The select element *does* work in IE, because IE uses a windows common
control for a select box. These always live in front of the canvas.

With firefox the select element does not work. It is probably behind the
calendar div (even though it is visible). Since it is behind something else
it never receives mouse events, or any other UI events for that matter.

Something else to consider: There is no form. What does the browser do with
form elements when they don't live inside a form?

Why all that positioning anyway? Oh, I see, dreamweaver. My commiserations

--
Cheers
Richard.