Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Dropdown menus: Good Practice?

Dropdown menus: Good Practice?

(Pete Cresswell)

How does this site's menu implementations stack up good-practice-wise?

http://www.wcasd.k12.pa.us/

Although I can't find "About Us" anywhere in the HTML, the code behind the first
dropdown ("About Us") seems TB this - invoked by a MouseOver later on:
<SCRIPT language=JavaScript>
<!--
function mmLoadMenus() {
if (window.mm_menu_0521134046_0) return;
window.mm_menu_0521134046_0 = new Menu("root",160,15,"Verdana, Arial, Helvetica,
sans-serif",10,"#000000","#02457a","#E7E7E7","#ffffff", "left","middle",2,0,500,-5,7,true,true,true,0,true,true);

mm_menu_0521134046_0.addMenuItem("Overview","locat ion='http://www.wcasd.net/about/about_main.htm'");
mm_menu_0521134046_0.addMenuItem("Community
Involvement","location='http://www.wcasd.net/about/com_involve.htm'");
mm_menu_0521134046_0.addMenuItem("New Student
Registration","location='http://www.wcasd.net/about/stud_reg.htm'");
mm_menu_0521134046_0.addMenuItem("Strategic
Plan","location='http://www.wcasd.net/about/strat_plan.htm'");
mm_menu_0521134046_0.addMenuItem("Assessment
Data","location='http://www.wcasd.net/about/access.htm'");

mm_menu_0521134046_0.addMenuItem("Budget","locatio n='http://www.wcasd.net/about/budget.htm'");
mm_menu_0521134046_0.hideOnMouseOut=true;
mm_menu_0521134046_0.bgColor='#999999';
mm_menu_0521134046_0.menuBorder=1;
mm_menu_0521134046_0.menuLiteBgColor='#999999';
mm_menu_0521134046_0.menuBorderBgColor='#ffffff';
PeteCresswell

Fernie

Hi Pete,

I cannot answer your question but I am really interested in working on some
javascript menus soon.

Can anyone recommend a good editor for that generates the javascript for
you? My html editor generates some javascript but nothing in regards to
menus.

Thank you,

Fernie

--

ELKNews FREE Edition - Empower your News Reader! http://www.atozedsoftware.com

Noozer

The whole site is pretty much a pain... Too small to read and wastes most of
the space in my browser with unused space.

"(Pete Cresswell)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> How does this site's menu implementations stack up good-practice-wise?
>
> http://www.wcasd.k12.pa.us/
>
> Although I can't find "About Us" anywhere in the HTML, the code behind the

first
> dropdown ("About Us") seems TB this - invoked by a MouseOver later on:

David Dorward

(Pete Cresswell) wrote:

> How does this site's menu implementations stack up good-practice-wise?
>
> http://www.wcasd.k12.pa.us/

+ They have regular links for when JS isn't available.
+ Menus don't vanish the moment the mouse leaves them

So better then most.

However ...

- User decides to visit "About Us", moves mouse, clicks, notices new menu
appearing (i.e. drop down menus at all are a generally bad idea)
- Regular links are images (worse, no alt text)
- Invalid markup
- Cursor doesn't change to indicate menu items are clickable
- Small target areas due to tiny font size
- Menus don't open when tabbing

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

(Pete Cresswell) wrote:

> How does this site's menu implementations stack up good-practice-wise?

These kinds of menus are one of my pet peeves.

Being right-handed, the mouse cursor is usually toward the right side
of the page. Well, that's where the scrollbar is. Ok, I've read the
page and I move the mouse over and up to the left to click the Back
button, and three or four of those dang menus fly out at me. Really
irritating.

I heartily recommend you do not use them.

--
-bts
-This space intentionally left blank.

(Pete Cresswell)

RE/
>+ They have regular links for when JS isn't available.
>+ Menus don't vanish the moment the mouse leaves them
>
>So better then most.
>
>However ...
>
>- User decides to visit "About Us", moves mouse, clicks, notices new menu
>appearing (i.e. drop down menus at all are a generally bad idea)
>- Regular links are images (worse, no alt text)
>- Invalid markup
>- Cursor doesn't change to indicate menu items are clickable
>- Small target areas due to tiny font size
>- Menus don't open when tabbing

Thanks.... that's the kind of info I was looking for....
--
PeteCresswell

rf

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> (Pete Cresswell) wrote:
>
> > How does this site's menu implementations stack up good-practice-wise?

> These kinds of menus are one of my pet peeves.
>
> Being right-handed, the mouse cursor is usually toward the right side
> of the page. Well, that's where the scrollbar is. Ok, I've read the
> page and I move the mouse over and up to the left to click the Back
> button, and three or four of those dang menus fly out at me. Really
> irritating.
>
> I heartily recommend you do not use them.

Check the one here, from the next thread, "Select menus above flyout
menus?":
http://southernpine.com/joinlocator.shtml

Lots of fun can be obtained by mousing up and down the menu and watching all
the menus busily slide in and out

--
Cheers
Richard.

(Pete Cresswell)

RE/
> I move the mouse over and up to the left to click the Back
>button, and three or four of those dang menus fly out at me. Really
>irritating.

Just tried it...I see what you mean.
--
PeteCresswell

(Pete Cresswell)

RE/
>I heartily recommend you do not use them.

How about a tree-view scheme - where main topics appear in a vertical list on
the left of the screen with a little plus sign on each one that has child
items?...where clicking the menu item expands the children into view until it is
clicked again....i.e. they don't just automagically expand or contract...so if
the user expanded all of them, they'd all stay that way?
--
PeteCresswell

wizard

"(Pete Cresswell)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> RE/
>>I heartily recommend you do not use them.

> How about a tree-view scheme - where main topics appear in a vertical list on
> the left of the screen with a little plus sign on each one that has child
> items?...where clicking the menu item expands the children into view until it is
> clicked again....i.e. they don't just automagically expand or contract...so if
> the user expanded all of them, they'd all stay that way?

IMHO it is even worse. At least most of the menus work on mouse-over.
Try to avoid both.
--
wizard