Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > My Dream

My Dream

Neal

Yes, this is on topic. (And crossposted to both alt.html and
alt.www.webmaster for a greater field of response.)

I had a dream last night that I was working on a webpage when all of a
sudden I was noticing things in the source I hadn't added. Someone had
access somehow. As I corrected things, I found new things suddenly changed
- someone was in there at that moment!

I thought, what to do now? I started going to my host's page to login and
change my password, but was thinking if the hacker was logged in, maybe it
wouldn't immediately boot them. Well, that's when I woke up, and
thankfully it was all a dream. But it made me think - I really don't know
for sure all I'd need to do in such a situation.

Now, how would you handle this scenario in real life? What's the best
approach to follow?

What will my host need from me to track down these hackers? And would
changing the password to something random effectively stop an active
hacker?

SpaceGirl

Neal wrote:
> Yes, this is on topic. (And crossposted to both alt.html and
> alt.www.webmaster for a greater field of response.)
>
> I had a dream last night that I was working on a webpage when all of a
> sudden I was noticing things in the source I hadn't added. Someone had
> access somehow. As I corrected things, I found new things suddenly
> changed - someone was in there at that moment!
>
> I thought, what to do now? I started going to my host's page to login
> and change my password, but was thinking if the hacker was logged in,
> maybe it wouldn't immediately boot them. Well, that's when I woke up,
> and thankfully it was all a dream. But it made me think - I really don't
> know for sure all I'd need to do in such a situation.
>
> Now, how would you handle this scenario in real life? What's the best
> approach to follow?
>
> What will my host need from me to track down these hackers? And would
> changing the password to something random effectively stop an active
> hacker?

I'd unplug my machine immediatly from our network, scoot over to my
linux laptop, telnet to my server and change the passwords.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Neal

SpaceGirl:
> (regarding handling a hacker)
> I'd unplug my machine immediatly from our network

Right, if one had access to the machine that would be the first thing to
do. But for those who use a host, that might not be possible in a timely
fashion. You'd have to wait till someone was on hand and available to do
that...

SpaceGirl

Neal wrote:
> SpaceGirl:
>
>> (regarding handling a hacker)
>> I'd unplug my machine immediatly from our network

> Right, if one had access to the machine that would be the first thing to
> do. But for those who use a host, that might not be possible in a timely
> fashion. You'd have to wait till someone was on hand and available to do
> that...

So if my HOST was compromised? Not sure what I'd do then. Call my lawyer?

I can access my sites from anywhere (for admin), so if my own network
was totally compromised, I'd stop off at EasyEverything (a cybercafe for
those who don't know) and remote from there, change the passwords again.

I also have a shut-down "switch" on a couple of my sites. I can sign
into the site from any Internet connection and disable the site just by
passing a switch to a page... but of course if someone has access to the
files they could easily get around that.

But to be honest... I just try be vigilant, protect myself and my
clients in any way I can, and really hope nothing bad happens!

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com

Once upon a time, far far away, the king summoned Neal
<(E-Mail Removed)> who replied:

>Now, how would you handle this scenario in real life? What's the best
>approach to follow?

How likely is it that anyone is going to care enough to hack one of
the millions of micro-web sites?

The hackers I have known all went for more exciting fish, newspapers
would be a good target, or a news service like the BBC, can you
imagine the hoot if a fake (hacked) news story appeared in the Wall
Street Journal online edition? or The Times ???

Matt

--
If your encyclopaedia doesn't list "widget glass", you're reading the wrong encyclopaedia.
The Probert Encyclopaedia. Its not the same.

DoobieDo

says...
> Yes, this is on topic. (And crossposted to both alt.html and
> alt.www.webmaster for a greater field of response.)
>
> I had a dream last night that I was working on a webpage

you've been eating too much cheese before bedtime again ;p

SpaceGirl

http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com wrote:

>>Now, how would you handle this scenario in real life? What's the best
>>approach to follow?

> How likely is it that anyone is going to care enough to hack one of
> the millions of micro-web sites?
>
> The hackers I have known all went for more exciting fish, newspapers
> would be a good target, or a news service like the BBC, can you
> imagine the hoot if a fake (hacked) news story appeared in the Wall
> Street Journal online edition? or The Times ???
>
> Matt

or how about the ticker tapes on 24 hour news? They're all flash movies
run from customer software... it's all served from SOMEWHERE...

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

SpaceGirl

http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com wrote:

> Matt
>
> --
> If your encyclopaedia doesn't list "widget glass", you're reading the wrong encyclopaedia.
> The Probert Encyclopaedia. Its not the same.
> http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com

btw, change your handle Matt!!!!

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Karl Core

"Neal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes, this is on topic. (And crossposted to both alt.html and
> alt.www.webmaster for a greater field of response.)
>
> I had a dream last night that I was working on a webpage when all of a
> sudden I was noticing things in the source I hadn't added. Someone had
> access somehow. As I corrected things, I found new things suddenly
> changed - someone was in there at that moment!
>
> I thought, what to do now? I started going to my host's page to login and
> change my password, but was thinking if the hacker was logged in, maybe it
> wouldn't immediately boot them. Well, that's when I woke up, and
> thankfully it was all a dream. But it made me think - I really don't know
> for sure all I'd need to do in such a situation.
>
> Now, how would you handle this scenario in real life? What's the best
> approach to follow?
>
> What will my host need from me to track down these hackers? And would
> changing the password to something random effectively stop an active
> hacker?

For my personal site, I'd leave it alone and wait until t3h haX0r got bored
and moved on to more interesting exploits.
For my work stuff, I'd scream like a little girl, call my company's
uber-g33k, Mike, and have him squash t3h pUnk like a bug.

--
-Karl Core
Please Support "Project Boneyard":

GreyWyvern

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 12:14:05 -0500, Karl Core <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

[snip]

And just *where* have *you* been, mister!?! Do you have any idea what
time it is??????

Grey