Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > HTML Newsletter?

HTML Newsletter?

Christopher Richards

Where are some good resources for designing html newsletters? I need a
primer. I've only done pages that show in a browser in the past. I need to
know what are the differences between creating pages for view in a browser
and those that will embed in an email program. Thanks.

Richard

Christopher Richards wrote:

> Where are some good resources for designing html newsletters? I need a
> primer. I've only done pages that show in a browser in the past. I need
> to know what are the differences between creating pages for view in a
> browser and those that will embed in an email program. Thanks.

Use the outlook express stationery feature.
For assistance with that side, see the stationery newsgroups.
But be warned, not all mail handlers will read html and may not accept it as
you intended.

Toby Inkster

Christopher Richards wrote:

> Where are some good resources for designing html newsletters? I need a
> primer. I've only done pages that show in a browser in the past. I need to
> know what are the differences between creating pages for view in a browser
> and those that will embed in an email program.

Inline all your CSS. Be aware that many e-mail clients these days block
the loading of images in HTML mail.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Spartanicus

"Christopher Richards" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Where are some good resources for designing html newsletters?

A new newsletter is now online: http://yoursite/news05122004

We have included the text of the newsletter as plain text below, please
visit the link above to see a richer version including images.

*Text of newsletter here*

--
Spartanicus

Jan Faerber

Christopher Richards wrote:

> Where are some good resources for designing html newsletters? I need a
> primer. I've only done pages that show in a browser in the past. I need to
> know what are the differences between creating pages for view in a browser
> and those that will embed in an email program. Thanks.

It depends on which browsers/email programs your subscribers use most ...
try to get a statistic.

--
Jan

http://linux.janfaerber.com

Jeffrey Silverman

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 17:41:37 +0000, Christopher Richards wrote:

> Where are some good resources for designing html newsletters? I need a
> primer. I've only done pages that show in a browser in the past. I need to
> know what are the differences between creating pages for view in a browser
> and those that will embed in an email program. Thanks.

With the escalation of the SPAM Wars, an HTML newsletter emailed to
clients or people or whatever might not necessarily be the best solution.
HTML email looks that much more like spam to your typical spam blocker.

Better, possibly, would be to post text-only content of the message and
then a link to a pretty HTML (or even PDF) version of the newsletter.

--
Jeffrey D. Silverman | http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
Website | http://www.newtnotes.com

Drop "PANTS" to reply by email

Robin

"Christopher Richards" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:lR0td.55263$(E-Mail Removed). com...
> Where are some good resources for designing html newsletters? I need a
> primer. I've only done pages that show in a browser in the past. I need to
> know what are the differences between creating pages for view in a browser
> and those that will embed in an email program. Thanks.

but the question is, why use html when plain text is so much more beautiful.
-Robin

Christopher Richards

"Jeffrey Silverman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed).. .
> On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 17:41:37 +0000, Christopher Richards wrote:
>
>> Where are some good resources for designing html newsletters? I need a
>> primer. I've only done pages that show in a browser in the past. I need
>> know what are the differences between creating pages for view in a
>> browser
>> and those that will embed in an email program. Thanks.

> With the escalation of the SPAM Wars, an HTML newsletter emailed to
> clients or people or whatever might not necessarily be the best solution.
> HTML email looks that much more like spam to your typical spam blocker.
>
> Better, possibly, would be to post text-only content of the message and
> then a link to a pretty HTML (or even PDF) version of the newsletter.
>
> --
> Jeffrey D. Silverman | (E-Mail Removed)
> Website | http://www.newtnotes.com
>
> Drop "PANTS" to reply by email

I agree. However, it's not my decision. I appreciate the helpful comments.

Christopher Richards

"Robin" <webmaster @ infusedlight.net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Christopher Richards" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> in message news:lR0td.55263$(E-Mail Removed). com...
>> Where are some good resources for designing html newsletters? I need a
>> primer. I've only done pages that show in a browser in the past. I need
>> to know what are the differences between creating pages for view in a
>> browser and those that will embed in an email program. Thanks.

> but the question is, why use html when plain text is so much more
> beautiful.
> -Robin

I agree with that too. I did eventually find a tutorial here.
http://www.sitepoint.com/article/cod...il-newsletters. Personally, I
hate newsletters.I would rather have all the news on the site and not in my
inbox, but that is another matter. Nobody cares what I think and sometime
neither do I .