Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Java / Tool bar

Java / Tool bar

Smitro

Hi,

Wondering if anyone has seen something in there travels that looks
something like this.

http://javascript.internet.com/navig...cade-menu.html

It's a java tool bar, I'm wanting to put something like this on one of
my web pages, I like this one, but then I noticed that it doesn't seem
to work in firefox. (not sure about other browsers, I've only seen
it work in IE)

Because I'm a big fan of alternate software (those other than MS) I
would like to be able to have ym web site availible to every one.

Is it possible to maybe fix this?

What I'm looking for is a tool bar like this, but one that I can place
the HTML in the place that I want and not have to hope that it will look
the same in all browsers when I use CSS. You'll notice that this one is
dependent on where the html is put in the page as to where it is located
on the page.

If any one could help me out on this it would be great. I'm hopeing
someone may be useing something like this already.

Smitro.

SpaceGirl

Smitro wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Wondering if anyone has seen something in there travels that looks
> something like this.
>
> http://javascript.internet.com/navig...cade-menu.html
>
> It's a java tool bar, I'm wanting to put something like this on one of
> my web pages, I like this one, but then I noticed that it doesn't seem
> to work in firefox. (not sure about other browsers, I've only seen
> it work in IE)
>
> Because I'm a big fan of alternate software (those other than MS) I
> would like to be able to have ym web site availible to every one.
>
> Is it possible to maybe fix this?
>
> What I'm looking for is a tool bar like this, but one that I can place
> the HTML in the place that I want and not have to hope that it will look
> the same in all browsers when I use CSS. You'll notice that this one is
> dependent on where the html is put in the page as to where it is located
> on the page.
>
> If any one could help me out on this it would be great. I'm hopeing
> someone may be useing something like this already.
>
> Smitro.

That's not Java. That's JavaScript. They are two completely different
languages.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

SpaceGirl

Smitro wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Wondering if anyone has seen something in there travels that looks
> something like this.
>
> http://javascript.internet.com/navig...cade-menu.html
>
> It's a java tool bar, I'm wanting to put something like this on one of
> my web pages, I like this one, but then I noticed that it doesn't seem
> to work in firefox. (not sure about other browsers, I've only seen
> it work in IE)
>
> Because I'm a big fan of alternate software (those other than MS) I
> would like to be able to have ym web site availible to every one.
>
> Is it possible to maybe fix this?
>
> What I'm looking for is a tool bar like this, but one that I can place
> the HTML in the place that I want and not have to hope that it will look
> the same in all browsers when I use CSS. You'll notice that this one is
> dependent on where the html is put in the page as to where it is located
> on the page.
>
> If any one could help me out on this it would be great. I'm hopeing
> someone may be useing something like this already.
>
> Smitro.

Annnyyyyway. Now I'm at work, I can reply properly. Really you should
AVOID javascript menus; they tend not to fail safe. If your visiting
user does NOT have javascript turned on (approx 4% of all people), they
cannot navigate your site. Okay, so perhaps you can say "well, my site
requires JS", which sometimes can be true... but then what about Search
Engine spiders? Spiders (bots) follow links in your site so that they
can add you to their indexes. They do not run JavaScript. So if your
menu is hidden away inside a script they simply wont be able to find the
pages on your site and you will never get listed... If you dont care
about Spiders and you dont care about people who cant use JS... well
that's up to you

There are CSS and "fail safe" js alternatives. Take a look
www.alistapart.com for examples.

S.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Michael Winter

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 16:49:49 +1000, Smitro
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[snip]

> http://javascript.internet.com/navig...cade-menu.html

From what I've seen, "The JavaScript Source" is a *horrible* place for
obtaining scripts. Most online collections are, including Dynamic Drive.

Oh, by the way: that script doesn't work in Opera, either.

[snip]

Mike

--
Michael Winter

Jeffrey Silverman

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 16:49:49 +1000, Smitro wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Wondering if anyone has seen something in there travels that looks
> something like this.
>
> http://javascript.internet.com/navig...cade-menu.html
>
> It's a java tool bar, I'm wanting to put something like this on one of
> my web pages, I like this one, but then I noticed that it doesn't seem
> to work in firefox. (not sure about other browsers, I've only seen
> it work in IE)

Its actually a "JavaScript" tool bar[1]. More specifically, even, it is a
JScript toolbar because it appears to only work in MSIE.

Try DynamicDrive.com. They have some DHTML dropdown menus that *will*
work in every modern browser.

Examples:
<http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/hvmenu/index.htm>
<http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/jimmenu/index.htm>
<http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/ddtabmenu.htm>

[1] Java != JavaScript

--
Jeffrey D. Silverman | http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
Website | http://www.newtnotes.com

Drop "PANTS" to reply by email

Jeffrey Silverman

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 12:08:34 +0000, Michael Winter wrote:

> From what I've seen, "The JavaScript Source" is a *horrible* place for
> obtaining scripts. Most online collections are, including Dynamic Drive.

Look, some are, some aren't. With careful and judicious choice of which
scripts you use, you can find and use some well-made, well-conceived, and
cross-browser DHTML/JavaScript thingies.

--
Jeffrey D. Silverman | (E-Mail Removed)

SpaceGirl wrote:

> Smitro wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Wondering if anyone has seen something in there travels that looks
>> something like this.
>>
>> http://javascript.internet.com/navig...cade-menu.html
>>
>> It's a java tool bar, I'm wanting to put something like this on one
>> of my web pages, I like this one, but then I noticed that it doesn't
>> seem to work in firefox. (not sure about other browsers, I've
>> only seen it work in IE)
>>
>> Because I'm a big fan of alternate software (those other than MS) I
>> would like to be able to have ym web site availible to every one.
>>
>> Is it possible to maybe fix this?
>>
>> What I'm looking for is a tool bar like this, but one that I can
>> place the HTML in the place that I want and not have to hope that it
>> will look the same in all browsers when I use CSS. You'll notice that
>> this one is dependent on where the html is put in the page as to
>> where it is located on the page.
>>
>> If any one could help me out on this it would be great. I'm hopeing
>> someone may be useing something like this already.
>>
>> Smitro.
>>

> Annnyyyyway. Now I'm at work, I can reply properly. Really you should
> AVOID javascript menus; they tend not to fail safe. If your visiting
> user does NOT have javascript turned on (approx 4% of all people),
> they cannot navigate your site. Okay, so perhaps you can say "well, my
> site requires JS", which sometimes can be true... but then what about
> Search Engine spiders? Spiders (bots) follow links in your site so
> that they can add you to their indexes. They do not run JavaScript. So
> if your menu is hidden away inside a script they simply wont be able
> to find the pages on your site and you will never get listed... If you
> dont care about Spiders and you dont care about people who cant use
> JS... well that's up to you
>
> There are CSS and "fail safe" js alternatives. Take a look
> www.alistapart.com for examples.
>
> S.

Thanks for your advice, I did what you said and I found 2 scripts and I
manged to adapted them into one to create the menus I was after. Thanks.