Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > ukcleaningcontractors.co.uk - Thanks Looks Better

ukcleaningcontractors.co.uk - Thanks Looks Better

DJS2C

Hello alt.html

Hope you are all fine and dandy

Your help and ADG has helped a lot. I have some small formating to do but
have just realised what I can do with CSS and have been using it . It is
now HTML 4.01 & CSS Valid Nice.

One thing I had to strip backgrounds and use CSS but on the 'services' page
that is a background? And the nav is jumping about and I cant seem to sort
it. Guess im going to have to work bit more.

Any other sugestions before I put my logo and WS3 Valid images on the site?

Take It Easy
James

first site. www.ukcleaningcontractors.com.uk

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html, DJS2C <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> Hello alt.html

Morning!

> Hope you are all fine and dandy

I am, thank you.

> Your help and ADG has helped a lot. I have some small formating to do but
> have just realised what I can do with CSS and have been using it . It is
> now HTML 4.01 & CSS Valid Nice.

Good to hear.

> One thing I had to strip backgrounds and use CSS

You haven't specified any sort of background at all.

> but on the 'services' page
> that is a background?

Yes, there is a background image on that page. You should specify a
background colour too.

> And the nav is jumping about and I cant seem to sort
> it.

You mean it's at a different place on each page?

> Guess im going to have to work bit more.

A few things I noticed:

The grey text is hard to read.

Verdana is not recommended for web use.
http://www.xs4all.nl/~sbpoley/webmatters/verdana.html

Don't specify font sizes in px or pt - users of IE can't easily resize
the text if it is too small. Use % (100 of them).

Don't specify line height, especially in cm. If you want the lines
spaced out more than normal, use e.g. 1.5em.

Removing the underline from links is confusing - makes it hard to tell
whether a particular bit of text is a link or not.

What's with the source code being all on one line? Makes it very
difficult to read.

> Any other sugestions before I put my logo and WS3 Valid images on the site?

Uh, don't? What benefit are your visitors going to get from them? No one
who visits your site (outside alt.html anyway) is going to care whether
it's valid, and if they do, they probably already know how to validate
it anyway.

http://www.ukcleaningcontractors.co.uk

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

Jeffrey Silverman

On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 22:38:20 +0000, DJS2C wrote:

> first site. www.ukcleaningcontractors.com.uk

small tip (and this goes for everyone): please put the whole link in your
posts, i.e. include "http://". Not every news reader will automatically
convert stuff beginning with "www." to a link, and it is a pain to cut and
paste. well, more of a pain, at least.

Oh, and its ".co.uk" not ".com.uk" Probably just a typo to be sure.

--
Jeffrey D. Silverman | http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
Website | http://www.newtnotes.com

Drop "PANTS" to reply by email

Phil

Sorry to tell you that all I am getting when I click on your link is a "BAD
GATEWAY" error message..

"DJS2C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cp02kr$2d6$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello alt.html
>
> Hope you are all fine and dandy
>
> Your help and ADG has helped a lot. I have some small formating to do but
> have just realised what I can do with CSS and have been using it . It is
> now HTML 4.01 & CSS Valid Nice.
>
> One thing I had to strip backgrounds and use CSS but on the 'services'

page
> that is a background? And the nav is jumping about and I cant seem to sort
> it. Guess im going to have to work bit more.
>
> Any other sugestions before I put my logo and WS3 Valid images on the

site?

> Take It Easy
> James
>
> first site. www.ukcleaningcontractors.com.uk

DJS2C

> Yes, there is a background image on that page. You should specify a
> background colour too.
>
> > And the nav is jumping about and I cant seem to sort
> > it.

> You mean it's at a different place on each page?

Yes.... Having another go.

> > Guess im going to have to work bit more.

> A few things I noticed:
>
> The grey text is hard to read.
>
> Verdana is not recommended for web use.
> http://www.xs4all.nl/~sbpoley/webmatters/verdana.html

Not blaming anything but this book for 12 I bought everything so far the
book has taught me I have been told off for !! LOL It recomends Varanda

> Don't specify font sizes in px or pt - users of IE can't easily resize
> the text if it is too small. Use % (100 of them).
>
> Don't specify line height, especially in cm. If you want the lines
> spaced out more than normal, use e.g. 1.5em.
>
> Removing the underline from links is confusing - makes it hard to tell
> whether a particular bit of text is a link or not.
>
> What's with the source code being all on one line? Makes it very
> difficult to read.

Not sure DW i used.

> > Any other sugestions before I put my logo and WS3 Valid images on the

site?

> Uh, don't? What benefit are your visitors going to get from them? No one
> who visits your site (outside alt.html anyway) is going to care whether
> it's valid, and if they do, they probably already know how to validate
> it anyway.

Yeh I only wanted to put it up as it would impress te person I did the site
for!