Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Just for Firefox?

Just for Firefox?

Si

Hi all.

A friend has just pointed me to [possibly] the most interesting site I
have seen in Firefox so far.

http://www.asetek.com/

Thought it may go down well for a cheer you all up Saturday morning.

Si

Fat Sam

Si wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> A friend has just pointed me to [possibly] the most interesting site I
> have seen in Firefox so far.
>
> http://www.asetek.com/
>
> Thought it may go down well for a cheer you all up Saturday morning.
>
> Si

Oh, that looks lovely in Firefox.....It's like the annual convention for
error messages.....

--
Sam.
www.fixaphoto.co.uk

Steven

Fat Sam wrote:

> Si wrote:
>
>>Hi all.
>>
>>A friend has just pointed me to [possibly] the most interesting site I
>>have seen in Firefox so far.
>>
>>http://www.asetek.com/
>>
>>Thought it may go down well for a cheer you all up Saturday morning.
>>
>>Si

> Oh, that looks lovely in Firefox.....It's like the annual convention for
> error messages.....

It appears to work fine if you change the user agent string in FireFox
to Explorer (Mac or PC) with User Agent Switcher.

Steven

Richard

Si wrote:

> Hi all.

> A friend has just pointed me to [possibly] the most interesting site I
> have seen in Firefox so far.

> http://www.asetek.com/

> Thought it may go down well for a cheer you all up Saturday morning.

> Si

Don't ya just love the tricky ways of spamming your products?
"this site is just for firefox."
Bullshit. The site has to be made available to any browser any time.
Worked just fine, and sucked just fine in IE 6.

Toby Inkster

Steven wrote:

> It appears to work fine if you change the user agent string in FireFox
> to Explorer (Mac or PC) with User Agent Switcher.

Ditto for Opera.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

SpaceGirl

Richard wrote:
> Si wrote:
>
> > Hi all.

> > A friend has just pointed me to [possibly] the most interesting site I
> > have seen in Firefox so far.

> > http://www.asetek.com/

> > Thought it may go down well for a cheer you all up Saturday morning.

> > Si

> Don't ya just love the tricky ways of spamming your products?
> "this site is just for firefox."
> Bullshit. The site has to be made available to any browser any time.
> Worked just fine, and sucked just fine in IE 6.

*rolls her eyes*

Did you even visit the site in FF?

I think you missed the point. It wasn't spam. Just a demonstration of
someones STUPID server-side browser detection script that totally ****s
up if you're using FireFox. God knows why - detection scripts are so
easy in IIS/asp.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Dylan Parry

SpaceGirl wrote:

> God knows why - detection scripts are so easy in IIS/asp.

But still totally unreliable and entirely broken

--
Dylan Parry

SpaceGirl

Dylan Parry wrote:
> SpaceGirl wrote:
>
>> God knows why - detection scripts are so easy in IIS/asp.

> But still totally unreliable and entirely broken

Not really - unless the browser utterly fakes its UA. Even a browser
like Opera STILL says the word "opera" somewhere in the UA string, even
if the rest of it is faking IE. It's a fairly reliable way to testing
browsers; the vast majority of users dont bother "faking" UA strings
after all...

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Kris

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
SpaceGirl <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> God knows why - detection scripts are so easy in IIS/asp.

> > But still totally unreliable and entirely broken

> Not really - unless the browser utterly fakes its UA. Even a browser
> like Opera STILL says the word "opera" somewhere in the UA string, even
> if the rest of it is faking IE. It's a fairly reliable way to testing
> browsers; the vast majority of users dont bother "faking" UA strings
> after all...

Actually they are. IE for instance identifies itself as a Mozila browser.

--
Kris
<(E-Mail Removed)> (nl)

Toby Inkster

SpaceGirl wrote:

> Not really - unless the browser utterly fakes its UA.

Pretty much every mainstream browser fakes its UA.

By default...

IE pretends to be Mozilla 4.0.
Netscape ver < 5.0 pretend to be Mozilla ver < 5.0
Mozilla 1.x pretends to be Mozilla 5.0.
Netscape 6.x and 7.x pretend to be Mozilla 5.0.
Opera 7.x pretends to be IE 6 pretending to be Mozilla 4.0.
Firefox pretends to be Mozilla 5.0.

Safari is basically honest, but includes the magic string "Gecko" in its
user-agent.

If only User-Agent strings were honest (by default) instead of pretending
to be something they're not.

e.g.
MSIE 6 sent "User-Agent: InternetExplorer/6.0 (ServicePack 1.0; Windows 9"
Firefox sent "User-Agent: Firefox/1.0 Gecko/20041107 (Linux; en-GB)"

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS