Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > E-mail problem with my web site !

Reply
Thread Tools

E-mail problem with my web site !

 
 
birdynumnum
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-02-2004
I have put my e-mail on my web site and I keep getting virus, spam... Is
there a way (a java script or something else) to block these spam (hide my
address from spam) directly on my web page. Thank you for your help.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Peter - nativespace hosting
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-02-2004
birdynumnum wrote:
> I have put my e-mail on my web site and I keep getting virus, spam... Is
> there a way (a java script or something else) to block these spam (hide my
> address from spam) directly on my web page. Thank you for your help.
>
>


Just the thing you need is right here:
http://javascript.about.com/library/blemail1.htm
All the best,


--
Peter
nativespace - hosting & domain names
providers of advanced, affordable UK hosting since 2001
http://www.nativespace.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Leif K-Brooks
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-02-2004
birdynumnum wrote:
> I have put my e-mail on my web site and I keep getting virus, spam... Is
> there a way (a java script or something else) to block these spam (hide my
> address from spam) directly on my web page. Thank you for your help.


No. Some techniques -- putting your email address in an image, for
instance -- may work against spam bots, but they will keep out blind
users and annoy sighted users.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Karl Core
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-02-2004

"Peter - nativespace hosting" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> birdynumnum wrote:
>> I have put my e-mail on my web site and I keep getting virus, spam... Is
>> there a way (a java script or something else) to block these spam (hide
>> my address from spam) directly on my web page. Thank you for your help.

>
> Just the thing you need is right here:
> http://javascript.about.com/library/blemail1.htm
> All the best,
>


Doesn't work.
Thanks for playing!


--
-Karl Core
Please Support "Project Boneyard":
http://www.insurgence.net/info.aspx?...&item=boneyard


 
Reply With Quote
 
nice.guy.nige
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-02-2004
While the city slept, Peter - nativespace hosting ((E-Mail Removed))
feverishly typed...

> birdynumnum wrote:
>> I have put my e-mail on my web site and I keep getting virus,
>> spam... Is there a way (a java script or something else) to block
>> these spam (hide my address from spam) directly on my web page.
>> Thank you for your help.
>>
>>

>
> Just the thing you need is right here:
> http://javascript.about.com/library/blemail1.htm
> All the best,


Apart from the fact that this (the javascript version) will not work for the
small(ish) percentage -- yet significant number -- of internet users who
either don't have javascript available to them, or choose to disable it, how
long can it possibly be before spam-bots are capable of decoding such things
(if they can't already!)? And I'm sure they must be able to decode the hex
characters version by now.

Cheers,
Nige

--
Nigel Moss
http://www.nigenet.org.uk
Mail address not valid. http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed), take the DOG. out!
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is very, very busy!


 
Reply With Quote
 
nice.guy.nige
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-02-2004
While the city slept, birdynumnum ((E-Mail Removed)) feverishly typed...

> I have put my e-mail on my web site and I keep getting virus, spam...
> Is there a way (a java script or something else) to block these spam
> (hide my address from spam) directly on my web page. Thank you for
> your help.


Use a contact form which stores the email address in the server-side script
used to generate the email to you. If your host doesn't allow you to use
server-side scripts, move to one that does. This doesn't have to be
expensive - Affordable Host (http://www.affordablehost.com) have PHP enabled
space for around $35/year (if you aren't in the US, this could also be a
good time to take advantage of the currently weak dollar!). BTW, I don't
work for Affordable Host - I'm a satisfied customer of some years (as are
quite a few of the other regulars in here).

Cheers,
Nige

--
Nigel Moss
http://www.nigenet.org.uk
Mail address not valid. (E-Mail Removed), take the DOG. out!
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is very, very busy!


 
Reply With Quote
 
Peter - nativespace hosting
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-02-2004
Karl Core wrote:
> "Peter - nativespace hosting" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>birdynumnum wrote:
>>
>>>I have put my e-mail on my web site and I keep getting virus, spam... Is
>>>there a way (a java script or something else) to block these spam (hide
>>>my address from spam) directly on my web page. Thank you for your help.

>>
>>Just the thing you need is right here:
>>http://javascript.about.com/library/blemail1.htm
>>All the best,
>>

>
>
> Doesn't work.
> Thanks for playing!
>
>


Works here,
Thanks

--
Peter
nativespace - hosting & domain names
providers of advanced, affordable UK hosting since 2001
http://www.nativespace.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
C A Upsdell
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-02-2004
"nice.guy.nige" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> While the city slept, birdynumnum ((E-Mail Removed)) feverishly
> typed...
>
>> I have put my e-mail on my web site and I keep getting virus, spam...
>> Is there a way (a java script or something else) to block these spam
>> (hide my address from spam) directly on my web page. Thank you for
>> your help.

>
> Use a contact form which stores the email address in the server-side
> script
> used to generate the email to you. If your host doesn't allow you to use
> server-side scripts, move to one that does. This doesn't have to be
> expensive - Affordable Host (http://www.affordablehost.com) have PHP
> enabled
> space for around $35/year (if you aren't in the US, this could also be a
> good time to take advantage of the currently weak dollar!). BTW, I don't
> work for Affordable Host - I'm a satisfied customer of some years (as are
> quite a few of the other regulars in here).


The last time I checked Tina did not allow her email script to be modified,
even to bury the email addresses within it.





 
Reply With Quote
 
Kris
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-02-2004
In article <41af4d9e$0$8088$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"birdynumnum" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have put my e-mail on my web site and I keep getting virus, spam... Is
> there a way (a java script or something else) to block these spam (hide my
> address from spam) directly on my web page. Thank you for your help.


Get rid of Windows, consider Mac or Linux. The spam will still come, but
it will hurt less.

--
Kris
<(E-Mail Removed)> (nl)
 
Reply With Quote
 
Leif K-Brooks
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-02-2004
nice.guy.nige wrote:
> While the city slept, birdynumnum ((E-Mail Removed)) feverishly typed...
>
>>Is there a way (a java script or something else) to block these spam
>>(hide my address from spam) directly on my web page.

>
> Use a contact form which stores the email address in the server-side script
> used to generate the email to you.


I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm much less likely to use an email
form than I am to send an email using my client of choice. I like having
spell check, being able to save emails I've sent, and the interface is
often a lot nicer than a Web form.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
List of free web site design, web site backgrounds, web site layoutsresources cyber XML 1 12-25-2007 11:48 PM
Free web site design, web site backgrounds, web site layoutsresources cyber HTML 0 12-24-2007 04:26 PM
List of free web site design, web site backgrounds, web site layoutsresources cyber HTML 0 12-21-2007 03:47 PM
List of free web site design, web site backgrounds, web site layoutsweb sites cyber HTML 1 12-19-2007 09:07 AM
Create a web site, not default web site mike kim ASP .Net 2 08-19-2003 11:26 PM



Advertisments