Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > favorites internet shortcut

favorites internet shortcut

Aamir Ghanchi

Hi,

Just wanted to know if there is any provision in HTML through which a
particular url is forced to be added to the Favoriates/Bookmark folder
of the browser when a user bookmarks a page.

For example if the user is on the following url
www.abc.com/sub1/sub2/Details.htm

and tries to bookmark this page then instead of the above url the
following main url gets saved
www.abc.com/index.htm

I was wondering if one of the meta tags provide this feature.

TIA

********** Rational ************
This is for an internal web-application used
by our staff only. They get to the first page (the actual page that
needs to be bookmarked) by typing in the link in the address-bar or by
clicking on the url someplace. But as soon as this page loads the
Windows domain login box pops-up asking them to enter username and
password. At this point they cannot bookmark this page since the
browsers menu/buttons for this purpose are disabled (while the popup
window is on). As soon as they enter the credentials the page is
resubmitted to a new action page where the rest of the processing is
done. finally when the browser buttons/menu for bookmark is available
it is no longer the original page that needed to be bookmarked.

Kris

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Aamir Ghanchi) wrote:

> Just wanted to know if there is any provision in HTML through which a
> particular url is forced to be added to the Favoriates/Bookmark folder
> of the browser when a user bookmarks a page.

There is nothing in HTML that can force anything. Assume your visitor
knows how to handle a webbrowser, or do some explanation to help him on
his way. Don't dumb him down by doing the job for him because you cannot.

--
Kris
<(E-Mail Removed)> (nl)

Peter - nativespace hosting

Aamir Ghanchi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just wanted to know if there is any provision in HTML through which a
> particular url is forced to be added to the Favoriates/Bookmark folder
> of the browser when a user bookmarks a page.
>
> For example if the user is on the following url
> www.abc.com/sub1/sub2/Details.htm
>
> and tries to bookmark this page then instead of the above url the
> following main url gets saved
> www.abc.com/index.htm
>
> I was wondering if one of the meta tags provide this feature.
>
> TIA

"No" is the simple answer.

--
Peter
nativespace - hosting & domain names

SpaceGirl

Aamir Ghanchi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just wanted to know if there is any provision in HTML through which a
> particular url is forced to be added to the Favoriates/Bookmark folder
> of the browser when a user bookmarks a page.
>
> For example if the user is on the following url
> www.abc.com/sub1/sub2/Details.htm
>
> and tries to bookmark this page then instead of the above url the
> following main url gets saved
> www.abc.com/index.htm

Dangerous;

user: "I'll bookmark the Cuddly Bunny web site (www.bunny.com)"

webserver: "sure" > adds www.somepornsite.com to bookmark list

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

neredbojias

Without quill or qualm, SpaceGirl quothed:

> Aamir Ghanchi wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Just wanted to know if there is any provision in HTML through which a
> > particular url is forced to be added to the Favoriates/Bookmark folder
> > of the browser when a user bookmarks a page.
> >
> > For example if the user is on the following url
> > www.abc.com/sub1/sub2/Details.htm
> >
> > and tries to bookmark this page then instead of the above url the
> > following main url gets saved
> > www.abc.com/index.htm

> Dangerous;
>
> user: "I'll bookmark the Cuddly Bunny web site (www.bunny.com)"
>
> webserver: "sure" > adds www.somepornsite.com to bookmark list

Well they could both be satisfied and bookmark the Playboy Club site.

--
Neredbojias

SpaceGirl

neredbojias wrote:
> Without quill or qualm, SpaceGirl quothed:

>>Dangerous;
>>
>>user: "I'll bookmark the Cuddly Bunny web site (www.bunny.com)"
>>
>>webserver: "sure" > adds www.somepornsite.com to bookmark list

> Well they could both be satisfied and bookmark the Playboy Club site.

lol. bad example.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)