Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > HTML/CSS Question

HTML/CSS Question

Robert

Hi if I want to have as many browsers including older browsers view my
sites is CSS or HTML or a site with both in it my best bet.

Thanks,

Rob

rf

Robert

> Hi if I want to have as many browsers including older browsers view my
> sites is CSS or HTML or a site with both in it my best bet.

If you want to support really really old browsers, like before version 3
(netscape and IE that is and any others that were written in the last
century) then don't use CSS.

If you want to support browsers before even that, like pre version 1, then
don't use HTML. Just use plain text.

If you want to support the real world then use HTML *and* CSS.
--
Cheers
Richard.

Neal

rf wrote:

>> Hi if I want to have as many browsers including older browsers view my
>> sites is CSS or HTML or a site with both in it my best bet.

> If you want to support really really old browsers ... then don't use CSS.

Or, use it in a way that can be hidden from those older browsers so they
only get unstyled HTML, which should be all they need to use the site.

David Dorward

Robert wrote:

> Hi if I want to have as many browsers including older browsers view my
> sites is CSS or HTML or a site with both in it my best bet.

You can't create a website with just CSS; its a presentation layer which
doesn't hold any content.

Use HTML to structure the site, then use CSS to describe the desired look.

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

Toby Inkster

rf wrote:

> If you want to support really really old browsers, like before version 3
> (netscape and IE that is and any others that were written in the last
> century) then don't use CSS.
>
> If you want to support browsers before even that, like pre version 1, then
> don't use HTML. Just use plain text.

Pah. My site works nicely in Netscape 1.1 and it uses XHTML and CSS.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS