Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Image condensing on webpages

Reply
Thread Tools

Image condensing on webpages

 
 
Charles Shahar
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-01-2004
Hi Everyone:

Please excuse my lack of sophistication in the following description: I am
creating a web page and I need some help regarding images. I will have
thumbnails. When a person clicks on them, they will link to an enlarged
image (1500x1500). I notice that when this happens on most web sites, the
image loads, and then compresses. In order to see the large version you have
to click on an icon on the lower right corner of the image. How can I get
this icon thing so that the person will see a smaller version, and if they
want they can click to see a larger version? Does this involve html code? Do
I have to load an alternative series of images of smaller dimensions? I hope
I am making sense! Thanks for your help!

-Charles


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mark Parnell
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-01-2004
Previously in alt.html,alt.html.critique, Charles Shahar
<(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> Hi Everyone:


G'day.

> I will have
> thumbnails. When a person clicks on them, they will link to an enlarged
> image (1500x1500).


In the same window, of course?

> I notice that when this happens on most web sites, the
> image loads, and then compresses. In order to see the large version you have
> to click on an icon on the lower right corner of the image.


It's a browser "feature". Personally I hate it, but that's my
preference.

> How can I get
> this icon thing so that the person will see a smaller version, and if they
> want they can click to see a larger version?


You can't. It's a setting in their browser.

> Does this involve html code?


No.

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
"Never drink rum&coke whilst reading usenet" - rf 2004
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Greg Schmidt
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-01-2004
On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 22:55:05 -0500, Charles Shahar wrote:

> Please excuse my lack of sophistication in the following description: I am
> creating a web page and I need some help regarding images. I will have
> thumbnails. When a person clicks on them, they will link to an enlarged
> image (1500x1500). I notice that when this happens on most web sites, the
> image loads, and then compresses. In order to see the large version you have
> to click on an icon on the lower right corner of the image. How can I get
> this icon thing so that the person will see a smaller version, and if they
> want they can click to see a larger version? Does this involve html code? Do
> I have to load an alternative series of images of smaller dimensions? I hope
> I am making sense! Thanks for your help!


What you are describing is a "feature" of Internet Explorer. It is
controlled by the user's settings ("Enable Automatic Image Resizing" in
the Multimedia section). I personally have turned it off. There is
nothing I know of that you as a web developer can do to change the
behaviour for your visitors.

--
Greg Schmidt http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
Trawna Publications http://www.trawna.com/
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mark Parnell
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-01-2004
Previously in alt.html,alt.html.critique, Greg Schmidt
<(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> There is
> nothing I know of that you as a web developer can do to change the
> behaviour for your visitors.


There is a meta tag that will disable it if it is enabled. I don't know
of any way to do the opposite.

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
"Never drink rum&coke whilst reading usenet" - rf 2004
 
Reply With Quote
 
SpaceGirl
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-01-2004
Mark Parnell wrote:
> Previously in alt.html,alt.html.critique, Charles Shahar
> <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>
>>Hi Everyone:

>
>
> G'day.
>
>
>>I will have
>>thumbnails. When a person clicks on them, they will link to an enlarged
>>image (1500x1500).

>
>
> In the same window, of course?
>
>
>>I notice that when this happens on most web sites, the
>>image loads, and then compresses. In order to see the large version you have
>>to click on an icon on the lower right corner of the image.

>
>
> It's a browser "feature". Personally I hate it, but that's my
> preference.
>
>
>>How can I get
>>this icon thing so that the person will see a smaller version, and if they
>>want they can click to see a larger version?

>
>
> You can't. It's a setting in their browser.
>


You can prevent it from happening at all though... just add this in the
head:

<meta http-equiv="imagetoolbar" content="no" />



--


x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

# lead designer @ http://www.dhnewmedia.com #
# remove NO SPAM to email, or use form on website #
 
Reply With Quote
 
David Dorward
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-01-2004
Mark Parnell wrote:

> There is a meta tag that will disable it if it is enabled. I don't know
> of any way to do the opposite.


No there isn't. The behaviour only occurs when an image is viewed directly.
Thus there is no HTML document, thus there can be no <meta> tag.

--
David Dorward <http://blog.dorward.me.uk/> <http://dorward.me.uk/>
Home is where the ~/.bashrc is
 
Reply With Quote
 
David Dorward
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-01-2004
SpaceGirl wrote:

> You can prevent it from happening at all though... just add this in the
> head:
>
> <meta http-equiv="imagetoolbar" content="no" />


That asks Internet Explorer not to display a toolbar of useful icons when
the user hovers over a largish image in an HTML document. This doesn't have
anything to do with the original question.

--
David Dorward <http://blog.dorward.me.uk/> <http://dorward.me.uk/>
Home is where the ~/.bashrc is
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mark Parnell
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-01-2004
Previously in alt.html,alt.html.critique, David Dorward
<(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> No there isn't. The behaviour only occurs when an image is viewed directly.
> Thus there is no HTML document, thus there can be no <meta> tag.


Right you are. Never used it myself, so got confused.

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wireless signal excellent, browser don't show webpages... =?Utf-8?B?SmFybm8=?= Wireless Networking 3 11-09-2005 04:28 AM
FireFox and Zooming in/out on pictures on webpages.... Jeff Ingram Firefox 2 05-23-2004 06:38 AM
Auto Reload webpages in Mozilla 1.6? Proboscis Firefox 0 04-13-2004 02:00 AM
Condensing nested switch statements Christopher Benson-Manica C Programming 19 02-04-2004 09:07 PM
2Q : Condensing an array; how random works. Dr John Stockton Javascript 11 07-22-2003 11:55 AM



Advertisments