Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Simplifying HTML code

Simplifying HTML code

Robert

I often find myself copying technical support documents and creating
html archives for viewing without a platform specific application. If
I copy the source code, then the html code is often a mess. HTMLTidy
helps in some scenarios, but the code require massaging to fit my
streamline html format. So I often find myself recreating the page.
Sometimes, I copy the plain text and paste in Dreamweaver layout view.
My question relates to recreating simple list by copying and paste
text. For example, if the text has multiple number and bullet lists,
could a copy & paste technique add the relevant <ol>/<ul> tags.

Does anyone have any recommendation for tools on copying webpage
layout and simplifying them? I am not talking about off-line browsers
or copying source text. I prefer remove all advertisements and
superfluous code (even include class IDs). Thanks!

Jeffrey Silverman

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 11:26:57 -0800, Robert wrote:

> I am not talking about off-line browsers
> or copying source text.

Then what are you talking about?

--
Jeffrey D. Silverman | http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
Website | http://www.newtnotes.com

Drop "PANTS" to reply by email

Jeffrey Silverman

<snip!>

links --dump http://www.example.com

--
Jeffrey D. Silverman | (E-Mail Removed)
Website | http://www.newtnotes.com

Drop "PANTS" to reply by email

Sjeef

Robert wrote:
> I often find myself copying technical support documents and creating
> html archives for viewing without a platform specific application. If
> I copy the source code, then the html code is often a mess. HTMLTidy
> helps in some scenarios, but the code require massaging to fit my
> streamline html format. So I often find myself recreating the page.
> Sometimes, I copy the plain text and paste in Dreamweaver layout view.
> My question relates to recreating simple list by copying and paste
> text. For example, if the text has multiple number and bullet lists,
> could a copy & paste technique add the relevant <ol>/<ul> tags.
>
> Does anyone have any recommendation for tools on copying webpage
> layout and simplifying them? I am not talking about off-line browsers
> or copying source text. I prefer remove all advertisements and
> superfluous code (even include class IDs). Thanks!

Working with the HTML-Kit (imcluding Tidy) goes very fast and easy.
You can download it at: www.chami.com

--
Regards,

Gerard Schaefers
Voor meer kook- en eetplezier? Kijk hier!
http://www.xs4all.nl/~sjeef/Nederlands/recepten.html

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Robert <robert-neville310
@(E-Mail Removed)> writing in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I often find myself copying technical support documents and creating
> html archives for viewing without a platform specific application. If
> I copy the source code, then the html code is often a mess. HTMLTidy
> helps in some scenarios, but the code require massaging to fit my
> streamline html format. So I often find myself recreating the page.
> Sometimes, I copy the plain text and paste in Dreamweaver layout view.
> My question relates to recreating simple list by copying and paste
> text. For example, if the text has multiple number and bullet lists,
> could a copy & paste technique add the relevant <ol>/<ul> tags.
>
> Does anyone have any recommendation for tools on copying webpage
> layout and simplifying them? I am not talking about off-line browsers
> or copying source text. I prefer remove all advertisements and
> superfluous code (even include class IDs). Thanks!

HTML-Kit has some plugins that will do that. The plugins will wrap
<li>'s or headings and <p> elements, whichever you need,
http://www.chami.com/html-kit/plugins/ .

--
Adrienne Boswell
Please respond to the Group so others can share

Neal

Robert:

> Thanks for the suggestion.

What suggestion? No quote, we don't even know to whom you're replying...

(Hint: Quote and attribute.)

Robert

Thanks for the suggestion. HTML-Kit with the Tidy works. The learning
curve is significant for the advance stuff (like Batch Actions), but
it does some interesting stuff. Its strength for purpose lies in
conjunction with other tools in my arsenal.

Jim Michaels

if you have MS Word, you can copy the HTML to Word, which keeps the
formatting, copy from word and paste into dreamweaver and you will get your
lists.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...