Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Not without a table: 3 column, equal height with background-images

Not without a table: 3 column, equal height with background-images

Nik Coughin

I have a feeling that this isn't possible without using a table. I would
love to be proven wrong.

No layout tables; fluid width; 3 columns of equal height, each with a
different tiled background-image; works in IE.

Using a table:
http://www.nrkn.com/3col/

Someone, please, please, please prove me wrong. So far as I can tell it's
not possible.

It's not the 3 columns. It's not the equal height. Those two are easy.
It's those two *and* different tiling backgrounds for each column *and*
works in IE that I can't seem to get.

Nik Coughin

Nik Coughin wrote:
> I have a feeling that this isn't possible without using a table. I
> would love to be proven wrong.
>
> No layout tables; fluid width; 3 columns of equal height, each with a
> different tiled background-image; works in IE.
>
> Using a table:
> http://www.nrkn.com/3col/
>
> Someone, please, please, please prove me wrong. So far as I can tell
> it's not possible.
>
> It's not the 3 columns. It's not the equal height. Those two are
> easy. It's those two *and* different tiling backgrounds for each
> column *and* works in IE that I can't seem to get.

Actually, it turned out to be really easy. Will post the results in a
moment.

Nik Coughin

Nik Coughin wrote:
> Nik Coughin wrote:
>> I have a feeling that this isn't possible without using a table. I
>> would love to be proven wrong.
>>
>> No layout tables; fluid width; 3 columns of equal height, each with a
>> different tiled background-image; works in IE.
>>
>> Using a table:
>> http://www.nrkn.com/3col/
>>
>> Someone, please, please, please prove me wrong. So far as I can tell
>> it's not possible.
>>
>> It's not the 3 columns. It's not the equal height. Those two are
>> easy. It's those two *and* different tiling backgrounds for each
>> column *and* works in IE that I can't seem to get.

> Actually, it turned out to be really easy. Will post the results in a
> moment.

I'm kicking myself. That was so easy.

http://www.nrkn.com/3colCss/

Barbara de Zoete

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 20:24:16 +1300, Nik Coughin
<nrkn!no-spam!@woosh.co.nz> wrote:

> Nik Coughin wrote:
>> Nik Coughin wrote:
>>> I have a feeling that this isn't possible without using a table. I
>>> would love to be proven wrong.
>>>
>>> No layout tables; fluid width; 3 columns of equal height, each with a
>>> different tiled background-image; works in IE.
>>>
>>> Using a table:
>>> http://www.nrkn.com/3col/
>>>
>>> Someone, please, please, please prove me wrong. So far as I can tell
>>> it's not possible.
>>>
>>> It's not the 3 columns. It's not the equal height. Those two are
>>> easy. It's those two *and* different tiling backgrounds for each
>>> column *and* works in IE that I can't seem to get.

>> Actually, it turned out to be really easy. Will post the results in a
>> moment.

> I'm kicking myself. That was so easy.
>
> http://www.nrkn.com/3colCss/

I'm not sure what you are trying to acomplish. In Opera (7.55) I see a
header and a footer and a huge black void between those two. Is that what
you want me to see?

--
Weblog | <http://home.wanadoo.nl/b.de.zoete/_private/weblog.html>
Webontwerp | <http://home.wanadoo.nl/b.de.zoete/html/webontwerp.html>

Nik Coughlin

Barbara de Zoete wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 20:24:16 +1300, Nik Coughin
> <nrkn!no-spam!@woosh.co.nz> wrote:
>
>> Nik Coughin wrote:

>>> Actually, it turned out to be really easy. Will post the results
>>> in a moment.

>> I'm kicking myself. That was so easy.
>>
>> http://www.nrkn.com/3colCss/
>>

> I'm not sure what you are trying to acomplish. In Opera (7.55) I see a
> header and a footer and a huge black void between those two. Is that
> what you want me to see?

That's very strange, it works fine from both Opera 7.55 at my work and Opera
7.21 at home (yeah, I know, should get around to updating it). Also works
in Firefox, and IE 6...

....and according to our good friend browsercam, works in everything except
for the browsers that I usually hide css from anyway:

http://www.browsercam.com/public.aspx?proj_id=116592

Nik Coughlin

Barbara de Zoete wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 20:24:16 +1300, Nik Coughin
> <nrkn!no-spam!@woosh.co.nz> wrote:
>
>> Nik Coughin wrote:

>>> Actually, it turned out to be really easy. Will post the results
>>> in a moment.

>> I'm kicking myself. That was so easy.
>>
>> http://www.nrkn.com/3colCss/
>>

> I'm not sure what you are trying to acomplish. In Opera (7.55) I see a
> header and a footer and a huge black void between those two. Is that
> what you want me to see?

It's because you have images turned off and I forgot to set a background
color for the central div. Doesn't matter, it's not a real page, I just
wanted to see if I could do the 3 column/background images thing. Thanks
for that anyway.

Barbara de Zoete

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 21:36:23 +1300, Nik Coughlin <nrkn!hopefully no
spam!@woosh.co.nz> wrote:

> Barbara de Zoete wrote:
>> On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 20:24:16 +1300, Nik Coughin
>> <nrkn!no-spam!@woosh.co.nz> wrote:

>>> I'm kicking myself. That was so easy.
>>>
>>> http://www.nrkn.com/3colCss/
>>>

>> I'm not sure what you are trying to acomplish. In Opera (7.55) I see a
>> header and a footer and a huge black void between those two. Is that
>> what you want me to see?

> It's because you have images turned off and I forgot to set a background
> color for the central div. Doesn't matter, it's not a real page, I just
> wanted to see if I could do the 3 column/background images thing. Thanks
> for that anyway.

Well, you might have learned something from this anyway

--
Weblog | <http://home.wanadoo.nl/b.de.zoete/_private/weblog.html>
Webontwerp | <http://home.wanadoo.nl/b.de.zoete/html/webontwerp.html>
Zweefvliegen | <http://home.wanadoo.nl/b.de.zoete/html/vliegen.html>

Richard

Nik Coughin wrote:

> I have a feeling that this isn't possible without using a table. I would
> love to be proven wrong.

> No layout tables; fluid width; 3 columns of equal height, each with a
> different tiled background-image; works in IE.

> Using a table:
> http://www.nrkn.com/3col/

> Someone, please, please, please prove me wrong. So far as I can tell
> it's not possible.

> It's not the 3 columns. It's not the equal height. Those two are easy.
> It's those two *and* different tiling backgrounds for each column *and*
> works in IE that I can't seem to get.

Do the same thing using CSS.
Then it is not limited to only IE.

A division is a table cell. Predefine the division's properties.
Your coding may look like this:

The reason for the container division is to prevent the column cells from
wrapping when the window is resized.
With a division, you can insert backgrounds and images with ease.
Change the look of one without effecting the others,

Looking at your source coding, it looks you've got the right idea going,
just using the wrong items.
As you'll find soon out, you'll have your head chopped off around here for
daring to use tables, let alone mentioning them.

Nik Coughlin

Richard wrote:
> Nik Coughin wrote:
>
>> I have a feeling that this isn't possible without using a table. I
>> would love to be proven wrong.

>> No layout tables; fluid width; 3 columns of equal height, each with a
>> different tiled background-image; works in IE.

>> Using a table:
>> http://www.nrkn.com/3col/

>> It's not the 3 columns. It's not the equal height. Those two are
>> easy. It's those two *and* different tiling backgrounds for each
>> column *and* works in IE that I can't seem to get.

> Do the same thing using CSS.
> Then it is not limited to only IE.

Er, what the hell?

> A division is a table cell.

No it's not.

Haven't seen you around here for a while Richard.

Re-read my post, then read the follow-ups.

Nik Coughlin

Barbara de Zoete wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 21:36:23 +1300, Nik Coughlin <nrkn!hopefully no
> spam!@woosh.co.nz> wrote:
>
>> Barbara de Zoete wrote:

>>> I'm not sure what you are trying to acomplish. In Opera (7.55) I
>>> see a header and a footer and a huge black void between those two.
>>> Is that what you want me to see?

>> It's because you have images turned off and I forgot to set a
>> background color for the central div. Doesn't matter, it's not a
>> real page, I just wanted to see if I could do the 3
>> column/background images thing. Thanks for that anyway.
>>

> Well, you might have learned something from this anyway

Ack, I am usually pretty religious about things like that. It's a slippery
slope...