Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Should I?

Should I?

auntie_biotic

As you will see from my website. I am self taught and have just about
mastered the basics of html. I have even less knowledge of cgi but have
managed a message forum. I have just been told by my web hosting that PHP
and mysql are now provided.

My question is due to lack of time and funds which would I be better off
learning more about to further my site.
CGI, PHP or mysql. I am thinking of purchasing a "For Dummies or Learn in
24 Hours" book on one of the subjects from Amazon

PS: Is it true that PHP and CGI do the same things?

I apologise if posting in the wrong area.
Thanks in advance.

Website http://www.tbandu.co.uk
Message board http://www.tbandu.co.uk/cgi-bin/teemz/teemz.cgi

David Dorward

http://validator.w3.org/check?verbos....tbandu.co.uk/
http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Tableless_layouts
http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=UsingPoints

> My question is due to lack of time and funds which would I be better off
> learning more about to further my site.
> CGI, PHP or mysql.

MySQL is a common database.

CGI is a way for a webserver to get a resource from the output of a program
instead of reading a static file. Often when people say "CGI" they really
mean "Perl accessed using CGI".

PHP is a programming language.

In the context of the web, you'll find MySQL pretty useless without PHP,
Perl CGI, or some other server side programming environment.

> PS: Is it true that PHP and CGI do the same things?

No. PHP is a programming language that is usually (but not always) used on a
server to generate HTML documents on the fly. It can also be used outside
the context of a webserver for more general programming. PHP is usually
installed as a module for the webserver, but it can also be used through
CGI.

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

Toby Inkster

auntie_biotic wrote:

> My question is due to lack of time and funds which would I be better off
> learning more about to further my site.
> CGI, PHP or mysql.

If you already know some CGI (by which I assume you mean Perl) then keep
going with that, and bring MySQL into the mix -- there is a rather good
Perl module to let Perl talk to MySQL.

> PS: Is it true that PHP and CGI do the same things?

They are different ways of achieving much the same effect.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Luigi Donatello Asero

"David Dorward" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:coauio$ata$1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> auntie_biotic wrote:
>
> > As you will see from my website. I am self taught and have just about
> > mastered the basics of html.

> http://validator.w3.org/check?verbos....tbandu.co.uk/
> http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Tableless_layouts
> http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=UsingPoints
>
> > My question is due to lack of time and funds which would I be better off
> > learning more about to further my site.
> > CGI, PHP or mysql.

> MySQL is a common database.
>
> CGI is a way for a webserver to get a resource from the output of a

program
> instead of reading a static file. Often when people say "CGI" they really
> mean "Perl accessed using CGI".
>
> PHP is a programming language.
>
> In the context of the web, you'll find MySQL pretty useless without PHP,
> Perl CGI, or some other server side programming environment.
>
> > PS: Is it true that PHP and CGI do the same things?

> No. PHP is a programming language that is usually (but not always) used on

> server to generate HTML documents on the fly. It can also be used outside
> the context of a webserver for more general programming. PHP is usually
> installed as a module for the webserver, but it can also be used through
> CGI.

What are the main disadvantages or advantages to use Perl instead of php to
send data to a database and viceversa?

--
Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
http://www.italymap.dk

David Dorward

auntie_biotic wrote:

> As you will see from my website.**I*am*self*taught*and*have*just*about
> mastered the basics of html.

http://validator.w3.org/check?verbos....tbandu.co.uk/
http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Tableless_layouts
http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=UsingPoints

> My question is due to lack of time and funds which would I be better off
> learning more about to further my site.
> CGI, PHP or mysql.

MySQL is a common database.

CGI is a way for a webserver to get a resource from the output of a program
instead of reading a static file. Often when people say "CGI" they really
mean "Perl accessed using CGI".

PHP is a programming language.

In the context of the web, you'll find MySQL pretty useless without PHP,
Perl CGI, or some other server side programming environment.

> PS: Is it true that PHP and CGI do the same things?

Not really. PHP is a programming language that is usually (but not always)
used on a server to generate HTML documents on the fly. It can also be used
outside the context of a webserver for more general programming. PHP is
usually installed as a module for the webserver, but it can also be used
through CGI.

So PHP can do the same job as CGI, but it doesn't have to. (Of course any
decent programming language can do the same things that PHP can do - but
CGI is explicitly there for communicating between the webserver and some
program)

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

Mitja

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 22:32:04 +0000, David Dorward <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>> My question is due to lack of time and funds which would I be better off
>> learning more about to further my site.
>> CGI, PHP or mysql.

> MySQL is a common database.

> CGI is a way for a webserver to get a resource from the output of a
> program
> instead of reading a static file. Often when people say "CGI" they really
> mean "Perl accessed using CGI".

Or sometimes more correctly (though still not completely correctly) "just
about any program accesed through CGI"

> In the context of the web, you'll find MySQL pretty useless without PHP,
> Perl CGI, or some other server side programming environment.

To the OP: this is because you have to acces the base somehow and convert
the "raw" results to a pretty-looking html page. So learn PHP first, later
on you'll use it to acces the MySQL database (using the SQL language, but
that one is quite simple).

>> PS: Is it true that PHP and CGI do the same things?

> Not really. PHP is a programming language that is usually (but not
> always) used on a server to generate HTML documents on the fly. It can
> also be used outside the context of a webserver for more general
> programming. PHP is
> usually installed as a module for the webserver, but it can also be used
> through CGI.

Agreed.
OP: You needn't worry about how is the way php is installed on your server
called, just refer to host's instructions on how to actually use php
scripts (once the're written).

> So PHP can do the same job as CGI, but it doesn't have to. (Of course any
> decent programming language can do the same things that PHP can do - but
> CGI is explicitly there for communicating between the webserver and some
> program)

Now I find this a bit confusing. CGI stands for Common Gateway _Interface_
- it is a way of accessing programs, not a program or programming
language. It can't "do" anything.
See also http://www.google.com/search?q=cgi+definition

--
Mitja

Mitja

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 22:25:20 GMT, Luigi Donatello Asero
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> What are the main disadvantages or advantages to use Perl instead of php
> to send data to a database and viceversa?

There are none - both use the same underlying system, i.e. the same
database server. Use what you're more familiar with. If you're choosing
between perl and php, I recommend the latter - somewhat less powerful, but
easier and cleaner.

--
Mitja

David Dorward

Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

> What are the main disadvantages or advantages to use Perl instead of php
> to send data to a database and viceversa?

Perl DBI (the standard way to access databases in Perl) is the easiest and
most elegant relational database abstraction layer I've encountered. (And
you have such things as Class:BI to futher abstract it if you wish).

I've always found the internal PHP database handing routines to be a pain to
work with, especially once you start dealing with things such as magic
quotes (are they on or off?). There is probably something in PEAR to make
it nicer, but its been a few years since I had to write anything in PHP
that connected to a database so my experience is a bit out of date.

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

David Dorward

Mitja wrote:

> There are none - both use the same underlying system, i.e. the same
> database server. Use what you're more familiar with. If you're choosing
> between perl and php, I recommend the latter - somewhat less powerful, but
> easier and cleaner.

I'd say Perl was cleaner and, while harder to get started with, somewhat
easier to master.

Isn't opinion nice?

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

David Dorward

Mitja wrote:

>> So PHP can do the same job as CGI, but it doesn't have to. (Of course any
>> decent programming language can do the same things that PHP can do - but
>> CGI is explicitly there for communicating between the webserver and some
>> program)

> Now I find this a bit confusing.

CGI is a means by which a server gets dynamically generated data.

PHP can be a means by which a server gets dynamically generated data
(although it does the dynamic generation internally)

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is