Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > media types

media types

chlori

Is there a reliable way to use different stylesheets
for different "media types" (screen, mobile phone, print)?

I found this:
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/media.html
but how well is it supported by screens, phones,
printers...?

Are there any disadvantages when using media="blah"?

chlori

Toby Inkster

chlori wrote:

> I found this:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/media.html
> but how well is it supported by screens, phones,
> printers...?

media="screen" is supported by practically every CSS browser that runs on
a standard desktop computer, as is media="print".

media="all" is supported pretty much everywhere, with the noteworthy
exception of Netscape 4.x.

media="projection" is used by Opera in fullscreen mode.

Opera in small-screen mode, and Opera for PDAs as well as a few other PDA
browsers use media="handheld"

Opera 7.x also experimentally supports CSS 3 media queries.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

chlori

Toby Inkster schrieb am 24.11.2004 22:13:
> Opera in small-screen mode, and Opera for PDAs as well as a few other PDA
> browsers use media="handheld"

Thanks

But how well is media="handheld" supported by
handhelds. Isn't that at least as important as Opera in
small-screen mode?

chlori

Toby Inkster

chlori wrote:
> Toby Inkster schrieb am 24.11.2004 22:13:
>
>> Opera in small-screen mode, and Opera for PDAs as well as a few other PDA
>> browsers use media="handheld"

> But how well is media="handheld" supported by handhelds. Isn't that at
> least as important as Opera in small-screen mode?

Most handheld browsers have two modes: screen and handheld. The user can
toggle between them in the hope of getting the best results for each page.

From my research...

BROWSER SCREEN MODE HANDHELD MODE
Opera for Symbian Uses "screen" CSS. Uses "handheld" CSS.
Symbian Browser Does not support CSS. Does not support CSS.
Pocket Explorer 2002 Uses "screen" CSS. Uses "screen" CSS.
Pocket Explorer 2003 Uses "screen" CSS. Uses "handheld" CSS.
NetFront ver 3.1 Uses "screen" CSS. Uses "handheld" CSS.
OpenWave 6.1 Does not support CSS? Does not support CSS?
Palm Web Pro 3 Does not support CSS? Does not support CSS?
Blazer 3 Uses "screen" CSS. Uses "handheld" CSS.

.... but there doesn't seem to be a reliable source of information on this
sort of thing.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

mscir

Toby Inkster wrote:

<snip>
> From my research...
>
> ================================================== =====================
> BROWSER SCREEN MODE HANDHELD MODE
> Opera for Symbian Uses "screen" CSS. Uses "handheld" CSS.
> Symbian Browser Does not support CSS. Does not support CSS.
> Pocket Explorer 2002 Uses "screen" CSS. Uses "screen" CSS.
> Pocket Explorer 2003 Uses "screen" CSS. Uses "handheld" CSS.
> NetFront ver 3.1 Uses "screen" CSS. Uses "handheld" CSS.
> OpenWave 6.1 Does not support CSS? Does not support CSS?
> Palm Web Pro 3 Does not support CSS? Does not support CSS?
> Blazer 3 Uses "screen" CSS. Uses "handheld" CSS.
> ================================================== =====================
>
> ... but there doesn't seem to be a reliable source of information on this
> sort of thing.

I don't know if this site will be any help:

http://www.codestyle.org/css/media/h...rSummary.shtml
http://www.codestyle.org/css/media/s...rSummary.shtml
http://www.codestyle.org/css/media/p...rSummary.shtml

mscir wrote:

> http://www.codestyle.org/css/media/h...rSummary.shtml

Phil's page is about desktop browsers and whether they implement the
"handheld" media type. (They shouldn't, unless they have a special
handheld emulation mode, as Opera does. By and large they do what they
should.)

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

kchayka

Toby Inkster wrote:

> BROWSER SCREEN MODE HANDHELD MODE
> OpenWave 6.1 Does not support CSS? Does not support CSS?

A couple years ago I used an OpenWave 6.1 simulator for Palm 5.0, which
did support screen media. The simulator had no handheld mode, just
something that turned CSS off altogether.