Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Excel-Sheet and Cache

Excel-Sheet and Cache

chlori

Hi

I'm linking to an Excel-Sheet (Intranet) which get's
updated about once or twice a week.

Problem:
Some Members say they see the old cached version of the
sheet.

I thought of having the version number in the filename
(like 'sheet_v12.xls'), but then I always have to
change the links and the users can't use bookmarks
(main problem).

Any ideas how to solve this?
How are Excel-sheets (and other similar files)
normally cached?

chlori

WindAndWaves

"chlori" <chlori@.invalid> wrote in message
news:co1sd5$9bm$(E-Mail Removed)-plus.net...
> Hi
>
> I'm linking to an Excel-Sheet (Intranet) which get's
> updated about once or twice a week.
>
> Problem:
> Some Members say they see the old cached version of the
> sheet.
>
> I thought of having the version number in the filename
> (like 'sheet_v12.xls'), but then I always have to
> change the links and the users can't use bookmarks
> (main problem).
>
> Any ideas how to solve this?
> How are Excel-sheets (and other similar files)
> normally cached?
>
> chlori

Can you embed the excel sheet in another page (e.g. using frames) and then
auto refresh the excel sheet?

Lauri Raittila

in alt.html, WindAndWaves wrote:

> Can you embed the excel sheet in another page (e.g. using frames) and then
> auto refresh the excel sheet?

Bad Idea.

Lauri Raittila

in alt.html, chlori wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm linking to an Excel-Sheet (Intranet) which get's
> updated about once or twice a week.

Do you know beforehad when it will be updated next time?

> Problem:
> Some Members say they see the old cached version of the sheet.

In which cache it will be? In Browsers or in proxy?

See, http://www.mnot.net/cache_docs/ especially expires header:
http://www.mnot.net/cache_docs/#EXPIRES

> How are Excel-sheets (and other similar files)
> normally cached?

Just like anything else, I would assume.