Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Question about alignment in css (repost)

Question about alignment in css (repost)

Becky Lash

"rf" <rf@.invalid> wrote in message
news:ShFod.45840$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Your problem is IMHO in the design of the page you are trying to convert
> CSS. It is not a "CSS" design, it is a table design (did I say that
> elsewhere?).
>
> The existing page looks like some graphic artist drew it carefully on a
> piece of A4 paper and said: Web Site. The best thing to work with using
> CSS
> for layout is a rough sketch on the back of an envelope. With a really big
> crayon.

Becky: Well, dern. The advice I got from a few posters was to turn this into
a CSS-driven layout, if I remember correctly. Now I wish I'd followed my
first instincts and gone with a combination of CSS and table layout. Thanks
for the advice.

> --
> Cheers
> Richard.

rf

Becky Lash
> "rf" <rf@.invalid> wrote in message
> news:ShFod.45840$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Your problem is IMHO in the design of the page you are trying to convert
> > CSS. It is not a "CSS" design, it is a table design (did I say that
> > elsewhere?).
> >

> Becky: Well, dern. The advice I got from a few posters was to turn this

into
> a CSS-driven layout, if I remember correctly. Now I wish I'd followed my
> first instincts and gone with a combination of CSS and table layout.

Thanks
> for the advice.

My opinion is that all new designs, including RE-designs (as in new) of
existing sites should use modern technology. When simply re-*vamping* an
existing site a little bit one should stay with what the site was written
in. If the customer does not wish to pay for a total re-write, from the
ground up, then leave it as it is.

You don't put a jet engine on a tired biplane. You simply replace the tires
and add some oil.

More simply, if it is not broken then don't fix it

--
Cheers
Richard.

Becky Lash

"rf" <rf@.invalid> wrote in message
news:ShFod.45840$(E-Mail Removed)...

> The existing page looks like some graphic artist drew it carefully on a
> piece of A4 paper and said: Web Site. The best thing to work with using
> CSS
> for layout is a rough sketch on the back of an envelope. With a really big
> crayon.

Actually, you are right on the truth about this project. The customer's
partner drew out what she wanted on paper and they sent the scanned
documents to me. I am to reproduce exactly what is on the paper, down to the
colors, alignment, and everything. I tried to withdraw from this project
when I saw the type of navigation system that they wanted and the ripple
effect that navigation system has throughout the design of the page. The
graphic artist who created the menu system did not give me validated .html
either, so, naturally, I have a kind of mess to begin with, as many OP's
have already commented on. I had never dealt with such a graphic intensive
menu before and all the problems that it presents. The buttons must have
absolute positioning to work, which is a huge problem.

Well, after testing <div> floats in every combination in Firefox and IE, I
am back to using a combination of tables, <div> tags with absolute
positioning, and CSS. IE and Firefox seem to treat the float tag differently
in certain situations; at least this is confirmed with my searches on the
web for information. Although Firefox is the "correct" renderer, I need to
deal with the differences as so many folks have IE. Absolute positioning
seems to work well enough, I suppose; but I sure don't like absolute
positioning. Jakob Nielsen would have a field day with this web site on
usability issues. ugh.

Thanks for the viewpoints.

Becky

Alignment Issue in I.E. - New to CSS 1995 Cobra HTML 5 09-09-2006 01:01 AM
a CSS problem (annotating a novel, horizontal flush alignment) Xah Lee XML 1 07-07-2005 09:24 PM
Question on CSS alignment tshad HTML 22 02-01-2005 09:12 PM
CSS Alignment of DIV's problem rfq HTML 3 09-03-2004 01:32 PM
img alignment in xhtml strict and css Kelwin Delaunay HTML 4 04-17-2004 05:41 PM

Advertisments