Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > CSS2 question

CSS2 question

Becky Lash

Hi, all,

I am trying to transition an existing site to css2 and xhtml. I'm in the
early stages of learning this technology too.

Firefox is stumping me on div behavior and absolute positioning. I've seen a
lot of discussion about this , but haven't quite found the answer to my
problem (or recognized it, if it is staring me in the face).

My menu graphics look fine in IE, but in Firefox, they are not lining up
correctly on the vertical axis. Do you know of any fixes?

www.smallbusinessproofreading.com/woodstone

Here's my .css, in case that helps:

ul, li {font-size: 12px; font-family: Verdana,Arial,sans-serif }
#QUOTE { font-style: italic; color: #0000A0 }
#new { color: #FF0000; text-decoration: none; font-family: Verdana, Arial,
sans-serif; font-weight: bold}

H1 { font-weight: bold; font-size: 14px; font-family: Verdana, Arial,
sans-serif; color: #74C3FC; text-decoration: none}
H2 { font-weight: bold; font-size: 14px; font-family: Verdana, Arial,
sans-serif; color: #74C3FC; text-decoration: none}
H3 {font-weight: bold; color: #21962E;font-family: Verdana, Arial,
sans-serif; text-decoration: none ; padding-left: 5em}
H4 {font-weight: bold; color: #74C3FC; font-family: Verdana, Arial,
sans-serif; text-decoration: none }

a {text-decoration: underline; font-family: Verdana, Arial, sans-serif;
font-weight: bold ; color: #FF0000}
..buynow {text-decoration: none; font-weight: bold; color: #FF0000}
a:visited { color: #996666; }
..praise {color: #0000A0; font-style:italic}
..default { background-color: #ffffff}
..menuitem { color: #157A85; text-decoration: underline; font-family:
Verdana,Arial,sans-serif; font-size: 14px; font-weight: bold }
..title { font-size: 11px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; color:
#880606}
..saheading { font-weight: bold; font-size: 14px; font-family: Verdana,
Arial, sans-serif; color: #74C3FC}
..smallbody { font-size: 14px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, sans-serif;
color: #000000; margin-top: auto; margin-right: auto; margin-bottom: auto;
margin-left: auto}
..quotation { color: #003366; font-size: 12px; font-family:
Verdana,Arial,sans-serif ;font-style:italic}
h5 { font-weight: bold; color: #74C3FC; font-family: Verdana, Arial,
sans-serif; text-decoration: none ; font-size: 16px}
h6 { color: #74C3FC; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
font-size: 14px; font-weight: bold; text-align: center}
p.awards { text-align: center; padding: 2em 2em }

div.imgholder {
float:left;
background: url(dropshadow.png) no-repeat bottom
right;
background: url(dropshadow.gif) no-repeat bottom right;
margin: 10px 7px 0 10px;

}
div.imgholder img {
display:block;
position:relative;
background-color: #fff;
border: 1px solid #666;
margin: -3px 5px 5px -3px;
padding: 2px;
}
hr {
color: #DB581F;
background-color: #DB581F;
width: 80%;
height: 3px;
margin-left: auto;
margin-right: auto;
; text-align: left
}
div.body { font-size: 12px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, sans-serif;
padding-right: 10px; padding-bottom: 10px; padding-left: 20px; padding-top:
0px; height: auto; width: auto; border-left-width: medium; margin-right:
0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; float: right; margin-top: 0px;
clear: right}
p { font-size: 12px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; height: auto;
width: auto; border-left-width: medium;margin-top:0;}
p.body { font-size: 12px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, sans-serif;
padding-right: 10px; padding-bottom: 10px; padding-left: 20px; padding-top:
0px; border-left-width: medium}

..features { text-decoration: none; font-weight: bold; color: #21962E}

thanks for any advice! I am new at this.

Becky

Lauri Raittila

in alt.html, Becky Lash wrote:
> Hi, all,
>
> I am trying to transition an existing site to css2 and xhtml.

I'll recommend you to start from scratch, and not use XHTML, but HTML.
Especially as you don't seem to have any clue about XHTML (there is very
little people around that has clue about XHTML. For example, W3 doesn't
have, and they invented t:
http://validator.w3.org//check?uri=h...2F2004%2F11%2F
orf2004%2F&ss=&outline=).

Usually, it is much more easy to build site again from scratch than
change it bit by bit. Or maybe always.

Make HTML that is correct, do not think about layout at all while doing
that. Then start aplying CSS. Then ask again when you have problem.

It makes no sence to try debug page that uses 5 levels of nested tables,
is incorrect or invalid by almost any aspect etc. It would take me ages
to find out where you are trying to do something.

> I'm in the early stages of learning this technology too.

Even more important to start again. In fact, you might need to do it
twice. But it is still faster than converting existing site...

> Firefox is stumping me on div behavior and absolute positioning. I've seen a
> lot of discussion about this , but haven't quite found the answer to my
> problem (or recognized it, if it is staring me in the face).

Most likely, FF is doing things right, and IE wrong. If you mean :hover
images, I can see bad results in Opera too.

> My menu graphics look fine in IE, but in Firefox, they are not lining up
> correctly on the vertical axis. Do you know of any fixes?
>
> www.smallbusinessproofreading.com/woodstone
>
> Here's my .css, in case that helps:

<snip>

No, it is too long, would take ages to find right spot.

Becky Lash

Disclaimer: The light blue headings, flashing GIFs, and other strange
devices on this web site are at the <insistance> of the customer, after I
let him know the disadvantages of this kind of design (or lack of, rather).

Becky Lash

OK. I can agree with that, although I hate to take the time to rip out all
those tables and start from scratch, as the customer is not willing to pay
for the time. I inherited this site and am trying to clean up stuff as I go.

I hate those tables too, but will bite the bullet and rip them out of all
those pages. Thanks for the advice.

"Lauri Raittila" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) t...
> in alt.html, Becky Lash wrote:
>> Hi, all,
>>
>> I am trying to transition an existing site to css2 and xhtml.

> I'll recommend you to start from scratch, and not use XHTML, but HTML.
> Especially as you don't seem to have any clue about XHTML (there is very
> little people around that has clue about XHTML. For example, W3 doesn't
> have, and they invented t:
> http://validator.w3.org//check?uri=h...2F2004%2F11%2F
> orf2004%2F&ss=&outline=).
>
> Usually, it is much more easy to build site again from scratch than
> change it bit by bit. Or maybe always.
>
> Make HTML that is correct, do not think about layout at all while doing
> that. Then start aplying CSS. Then ask again when you have problem.
>
> It makes no sence to try debug page that uses 5 levels of nested tables,
> is incorrect or invalid by almost any aspect etc. It would take me ages
> to find out where you are trying to do something.
>
>> I'm in the early stages of learning this technology too.

> Even more important to start again. In fact, you might need to do it
> twice. But it is still faster than converting existing site...
>
>> Firefox is stumping me on div behavior and absolute positioning. I've
>> seen a
>> lot of discussion about this , but haven't quite found the answer to my
>> problem (or recognized it, if it is staring me in the face).

> Most likely, FF is doing things right, and IE wrong. If you mean :hover
> images, I can see bad results in Opera too.
>
>> My menu graphics look fine in IE, but in Firefox, they are not lining up
>> correctly on the vertical axis. Do you know of any fixes?
>>
>> www.smallbusinessproofreading.com/woodstone
>>
>> Here's my .css, in case that helps:

> <snip>
>
> No, it is too long, would take ages to find right spot.
>
> --
> Lauri Raittila <http://www.iki.fi/lr> <http://www.iki.fi/zwak/fonts>

Lauri Raittila

in alt.html, Becky Lash wrote:
> OK. I can agree with that, although I hate to take the time to rip out all
> those tables and start from scratch, as the customer is not willing to pay
> for the time. I inherited this site and am trying to clean up stuff as I go.

No need to do that. Just copy/paste the content somewhere and mark it up.
Much faster, in my experience...

> I hate those tables too, but will bite the bullet and rip them out of all
> those pages. Thanks for the advice.

Please don't top-post in future.

Becky Lash

oops. sorry about the top posting. thanks for the pointers.

Jeffrey Silverman

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 11:48:40 -0600, Becky Lash wrote:

> OK. I can agree with that, although I hate to take the time to rip out all
> those tables and start from scratch, as the customer is not willing to pay
> for the time. I inherited this site and am trying to clean up stuff as I go.
>
> I hate those tables too, but will bite the bullet and rip them out of all
> those pages. Thanks for the advice.

All you need is the content. Provided that the site uses some sort of
templating to get the layout the same on all pages. Any kind of
templating system will do, be it server side includes or client side site
management tool.

Take content (JUST the content) and mark up from scratch. Propagate new
HTML template across site. presto! New site!

--
Jeffrey D. Silverman | http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
Website | http://www.newtnotes.com

Drop "PANTS" to reply by email

Becky Lash

sure thing. I am using server-side includes.

C A Upsdell

"Lauri Raittila" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) t...
> in alt.html, Becky Lash wrote:
>> Hi, all,
>>
>> I am trying to transition an existing site to css2 and xhtml.

> I'll recommend you to start from scratch, and not use XHTML, but HTML.

Going back to HTML will likely have no effect on her problem. You're just
throwing in a red herring.

> Especially as you don't seem to have any clue about XHTML (there is very
> little people around that has clue about XHTML. For example, W3 doesn't
> have, and they invented t:
> http://validator.w3.org//check?uri=h...2F2004%2F11%2F
> orf2004%2F&ss=&outline=).

? 401 error. Do you expect the validator to validate a page that can't be
accessed?

> Usually, it is much more easy to build site again from scratch than
> change it bit by bit. Or maybe always.

Yes.

> Make HTML that is correct, do not think about layout at all while doing
> that. Then start aplying CSS. Then ask again when you have problem.

Yes. And validate both HTML and CSS before testing.

> Most likely, FF is doing things right, and IE wrong. If you mean :hover
> images, I can see bad results in Opera too.

Yes. Usually (not always) if IE does what you expect, and Firefox does not,
Firefox is right.

Barbara de Zoete

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 12:14:29 -0600, Becky Lash <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> sure thing. I am using server-side includes.

Can you please include the part of the previous post to which you are
responding. It gets hard to follow if this is all I see.

--
Weblog | <http://home.wanadoo.nl/b.de.zoete/_private/weblog.html>
Webontwerp | <http://home.wanadoo.nl/b.de.zoete/html/webontwerp.html>