Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > 3rd party designers & gigs

3rd party designers & gigs

Henry

Mark Parnell wrote:
> Previously in alt.html, Henry <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>

>>If the husband hates his wife, installing for her Linux

> I installed Linux for my wife (who I most certainly don't hate), and she
> loves it.

Most likely she is browsing and using email. Virus and spyware free -
perfect choice, if you don't need to use something else, like HDTV card
or DVD burner.

Can you burn DVD's and movies on Linux?

Now I understand these calls about fonts. Fonts sux on Linux! When I
used Xandros I hated these fonts, some TT fonts were used but still was
a crap if compare to Windoze.

They were saying that font problems and higher fonts res they were going
to fix, I mean, better adoption to M$ TT fonts.

They've done it?

If yes, I could go back to Linux.

I hated these fonts so much...

No wonder some wants a bigger fonts because Linux...

Blinky the Shark

Henry wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:

>> Henry wrote:

>>>Blinky the Shark wrote:

>> That wasn't a Linux-user hey; that was a shark hey.

> So what's that?

> Linux Registered User 297263

<sigh> Irrelevant to my lighthearted reply about "shark [whatever
you wrote, but that you've snipped]".

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
Play Zork: http://www.xs4all.nl/~pot/infocom/zork1.html

Blinky the Shark

Henry wrote:
> Mark Parnell wrote:
>> Previously in alt.html, Henry <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

>>>If the husband hates his wife, installing for her Linux

>> I installed Linux for my wife (who I most certainly don't hate), and she
>> loves it.

> Most likely she is browsing and using email. Virus and spyware free -
> perfect choice, if you don't need to use something else, like HDTV card
> or DVD burner.

> Can you burn DVD's and movies on Linux?

Of course. And sync with your Palm, and use a scanner and digital
camera, and...well, golly, gee, it's not just life with the command line,
unless you wish that.

> Now I understand these calls about fonts. Fonts sux on Linux! When I
> used Xandros I hated these fonts, some TT fonts were used but still was
> a crap if compare to Windoze.

How many years ago was that?

> They were saying that font problems and higher fonts res they were going
> to fix, I mean, better adoption to M$ TT fonts.

> They've done it?

Yes.

> If yes, I could go back to Linux.

Nah, Linux will do just fine.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
Play Zork: http://www.xs4all.nl/~pot/infocom/zork1.html
SOME commands: get, open, drop, directions e/n/s/w, climb, up,
down, look, read, inventory, hit/kill [object] with [object]...

Toby Inkster

Henry wrote:

> In the same way I laugh when people are saying that web design should be
> made in Notepad.

I don't think many (any?) of the regulars here use Notepad for web design.
There are plenty of better text editors out there. SciTE, Nedit and Nano
are my three favourites at the moment.

> Install Linux and sped few days how to put video card driver

The vast majority of video cards are autodetected in recent distros, with
roughly Windows XP grade reliability -- i.e. the occasional very new or
very obscure video card will fail, but most will work OK. Certainly better
than the hardware detection in, say, Windows NT where you nearly always
need to get out the manufacturer's disk before you can go above 640x480 at
256 colours.

> or mount floppy disk.

Nowadays most distros include supermount -- so that floppy disks, CDs and
DVDs are automatically mounted as soon as you put them in the drive.
Besides which, IME most computers are now shipping without floppy drives
these days.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Wyrm

"Henry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:41a2b60a$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Wrm wrote:

<snip>

> Horrible because of what?

All that unnecessarily complex HTML there is no need for, that for a
starters. But I guess you need use some WYSIWYG tools so hand coding's out
of the question for you anyway so you never see all that crappy code mess.

<irrelevant crap snipped, don't babble, stick to the point>

C.W.

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 14:26:52 -0800, ...D. <d@no_usenet_email..org>
wrote:

>I have been doing Usenet in the year and a half. I am right on about some
>"members" of this newsgroup. I have looked in here more than I let on.

If the last sentence is true - then you would've been able to just
skip past the comments you felt weren't helpful or unwarranted - since
you already knew what some of them, in your observatory opinion, were
like.

>So when I say I don't like replies that tell me to research on my own by
>checking into other posts in the newsgroup instead of easily answering me
>with the same amount of energy used that it took to tell me to go fish, I
>feel it is a legitimate point of view.

Barbara has a point too in that some other threads, about the same
topic, have shared some posts you may found informative. Not everybody
that replied in those threads will reply to your thread on the same
topic - or with the exact same detailed information that may have been
shared before.

There have been some posts on this topic over the past few weeks and
months that may have some snippets of info that you were seeking. Just
that they were shared with someone else asking the same thing already

If it said
>was alt.html.professionas I wouldn't even be here

I doubt that - I've seen people try to join groups that were geared to
professionals due to feeling they could skate by or "were"
professionals.

With you asking about doing web desgin - even part-time - for others
in itself hints you do not consider yourself a newbie to HTML but
advanced from that point.

>I'd be searching for what headers?

If I were searching for posts, about this topic, then I wouldn't look
for headers. I would type in, at Google Groups, phrases like "doing
web design" "starting web design" - maybe trying words like freelance
and such too. Then I would scan the results, looking at the bits of
the posts that the abstract would share. Click on the ones that
sounded like they were discussing how someone could get their feet wet
entereing freelance web design thoughts ...

>So - my opinion is newgroups exist for exacltly that you don't
>have to research first !!

No, not really. Discussions primarily but not to help someone avoid or
not "having to" to do the research on their own either. Any help
shared is strictly voluntary and not the reason why this -or any
other- newsgroup exists [unless it has the word help in it's name].

Personally I've learned a lot from the people in this group - regulars
and non-regulars. More than what I feel I would've gotten elsewhere
... and all supplied voluntarily in response to others or during
debates or detailed discussions and,yes, even when they shared some
sarcasm. I actually find myself seeking out he longer threads first -
but that's just me.

And also when I subscribe to a newsgroup like
>I just did here, I don't have it load up every post available, I give it a
>finite number (like a weeks worth of headers).. So I can't search back
>anyway unless I unsubscribe and re subscribe and load up 1000s of headers,
>which I ain't gonna do, and don't feel others should have to do either.

No reason to! http://groups.google.com - archived copies of text posts
from this group, and others, back to 1995 or so I think.

>Also, I haven't been completely honest, I kinda acted as if I did not
>already have a 3rd party website writing program, but I do already have
>one, and am just now getting used to it. But I wanted pure feedback
>because I'll abandon this one (was only $50) if there is something better
>to look into...

It is the HTML that matters in the end - not the editor used by you.

Some $30 programs are just as good, in someone's hands, as the $100 or
pricier ones are. Just find one that you find comfortable and enjoy
using.

neredbojias

Without quill or qualm, Dan Ruscoe quothed:

> > I'm on dial-up. If a site has Flash, I leave.

> Some clients have their hearts set on pointless flash intros. Often the
> best thing to do is give them what they want, include a 'skip intro'
> link and take their money.

True. And I'm not an anti-Flash extremo or anything; some people really
like Flash but it just isn't for me. Perhaps on hi-speed cable it'd be
okay (-although I really do prefer less crap when I'm browsing for info
or photos.)

--
Neredbojias

neredbojias

Without quill or qualm, ...D. quothed:

> [...]
> anwsers. Not "go fish". At least should be "You have to learn just a few
> basics, start here and come back later once you've got a few thjings down:
> http://www.davesite.com/webstation/html/
>
> And I understand this is a newsgroup - so in that light, My opinion of how
> to research a subject and yours are equally legit. So we have differing
> opinions about it. He is not the first to mention to others to look it up
> yourself, and I feel the same way about those replies too. Nothing is
> 100%, in a few cases are legit, not usually.
>
> I'd be searching for what headers?, And spending time reading each post I
> was searching, then trying another search criteria.., hoping it hit on my
> issue. So - my opinion is newgroups exist for exacltly that you don't
> have to research first !! And also when I subscribe to a newsgroup like
> I just did here, I don't have it load up every post available, I give it a
> finite number (like a weeks worth of headers).. So I can't search back
> anyway unless I unsubscribe and re subscribe and load up 1000s of headers,
> which I ain't gonna do, and don't feel others should have to do either.
>
> So we disagree. I spouted, you spouted. Where in the rules does it say
> you have to pre-research before you ask a question. Some suggest this of
> course. I am on the opposite fence of what a newsgroups function is.
>
> Also, I haven't been completely honest, I kinda acted as if I did not
> already have a 3rd party website writing program, but I do already have
> one, and am just now getting used to it. But I wanted pure feedback
> because I'll abandon this one (was only $50) if there is something better
> to look into... It is not a well known company that makes it. I just
> wanted to see if I could get away from telling a possible client that I
> might write for to buy the same program I used to maintain the site. I
> don't like a few things it handles certain ways. Kind of mystical writing
> all scripts. There should be a lesser $$ "maintenance" software package,
> but there is not. Also why waste time training myself with it, if
> eventually I would move beyond the "individual & small business" stage..
> It is all speculation now as I have not yet written anything for anyone.
>
> Here's what I've done so far. Didn't know what "HTML" was 6 months ago.
> Learned from websites like davesite - not asking here - so I am not that
> Fxxkin lazy. New site new name. Abandoned my old site name for
> something more generic (ran a Blacknova Traders web-based game website
> written in notepad & HTML only my son wanted - no Javascript or any other
> languages, and still am not real knowledgeable with the java, though can
> copy-paste and try).
>
> In case anyone is interested in my effort thus far with a $50 3rd party
> program : http://www.kicknet.net Like I said - trying to break into the
> individuals or small business as a part time occasional gig.. Don't be

Do you know that you used the word "I" 56 times in the above
expostulation? That's the current record.

--
Neredbojias

Duende

While sitting in a puddle neredbojias scribbled in the mud:

> Do you know that you used the word "I" 56 times in the above
> expostulation? That's the current record.

Why did you count them?

--
Avoid reality at all costs.

rf

neredbojias rebutted:

<snip expostulation>

> Do you know that you used the word "I" 56 times in the above
> expostulation?

<checks webster's>
ex.pos.tu.la.tion n. an expostulating; earnest protest or remonstrance.

Phew. For a minute there I thought you were just making up these words

--
Cheers
Richard.