Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Open local folder in IE SP2/Firefox problem

Open local folder in IE SP2/Firefox problem

Yuri Vorontsov

Hallo!

We have troubles (post XP SP2) to open local folders from the web application:

- the web application allows users to select a local file (input type=file)
- the system DOES NOT upload the file but stores the path to the folder containing this file into a
database.
- the path to the local folder is linked as <a href=file:///blablabla/folder>Open folder</a>
- we used to be able to open the folder by clicking on the link above but SP2 blocks content that
does not originate from the same source as the rest of the application which is usually good

Is there a way to circumvent this limitation cause it renders a large part of our application
useless??

Thanks!
Yuri

brucie

In alt.html Yuri Vorontsov said:

> Hallo!

g'day

> We have troubles

i know

What is the accepted way to share a message across multiple newsgroups?
http://smjg.port5.com/faqs/usenet/xpost.html

l i t t l e v o i c e s

Yuri Vorontsov

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 22:15:37 +1000, brucie <****@usenetshit.info> wrote:

>What is the accepted way to share a message across multiple newsgroups?
>http://smjg.port5.com/faqs/usenet/xpost.html

Only three groups. I am sorry for crossposting.

Gr,
Yuri

Sybren Stuvel

Yuri Vorontsov enlightened us with:
> Only three groups. I am sorry for crossposting.

You are _NOT_ crossposting.

Read http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html before posting again.

You are multiposting, which means you post a separate message to each
newsgroup. There is no way for someone trying to answer your question,
to see if it has already been answered by someone else. Thus, you ask
for my time, you ask me to put in effort to answer your question, but
it might be all for nothing because you might already have your
answer. That is concidered insulting.

Futhermore, someone might have the same question as you do. There is
no way for that person to find the answer, if it were to be posted in
one of the other groups you posted to.

Next time, post your question to one newsgroup. If you can't get a
decent answer in a day or two, try the next one. If you really,
really, really want to post to multiple newsgroups, crosspost to them.

Crossposting means putting all groups you want to post to on a single
line - that way everybody can see to which groups the post went. Do
not post to more than four newsgroups - that's never good. I won't
even see your post if you do that. Also, always set up a
'Followup-To:' header, to make sure all replies go to the same
newsgroup. If you don't know how to do that, post to a single group
instead.

Sybren

Yuri Vorontsov

Thanks Sybren,

That is correct. I posted a question in one group and did not get any answer.
Some time later (check the header I posted in two other groups. I already said 'sorry' twice.
Until now - two replies on multiposting, one advice to use Firefox because it is a better browser
and we all know it but no suggestions how to deal with the issue.
Shall we return to the original topic? Thanx in advance!
Gr.

Yuri

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 13:56:48 +0100, Sybren Stuvel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Yuri Vorontsov enlightened us with:
>> Only three groups. I am sorry for crossposting.

>You are _NOT_ crossposting.
>
>Read http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html before posting again.
>
>You are multiposting, which means you post a separate message to each
>newsgroup. There is no way for someone trying to answer your question,
>to see if it has already been answered by someone else. Thus, you ask
>for my time, you ask me to put in effort to answer your question, but
>it might be all for nothing because you might already have your
>answer. That is concidered insulting.
>
>Futhermore, someone might have the same question as you do. There is
>no way for that person to find the answer, if it were to be posted in
>one of the other groups you posted to.
>
>Next time, post your question to one newsgroup. If you can't get a
>decent answer in a day or two, try the next one. If you really,
>really, really want to post to multiple newsgroups, crosspost to them.
>
>Crossposting means putting all groups you want to post to on a single
>line - that way everybody can see to which groups the post went. Do
>not post to more than four newsgroups - that's never good. I won't
>even see your post if you do that. Also, always set up a
>'Followup-To:' header, to make sure all replies go to the same
>newsgroup. If you don't know how to do that, post to a single group
>instead.
>
>Sybren

Yuri Vorontsov

The problem is solved. The solution is well described here:
http://weblogs.asp.net/jgalloway/arc...20/218123.aspx

Thanks to everyone who answered.

Gr.
Yuri