Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Viewing site in different browsers

Viewing site in different browsers

Alan Cole

Can someone point me to the website that allows you to see how your site
will look in different browsers and different platforms.

Trying to get the hang of CSS layout but need to test things on other
platforms.

Thanks.

Al.

--
Alan Cole. E-mail: justal at lineone dot net
http://www.forces-of-nature.co.uk [Coastal Sports]

brucie

In alt.html Alan Cole said:

> Can someone point me to the website that allows you to see how your site
> will look in different browsers and different platforms.

download the browsers. any claims that a program or system can show you
how your site will appear in a particular browser are at best inaccurate
and at worst totally false and misleading.

> Trying to get the hang of CSS layout but need to test things on other
> platforms.

secondhand computers are very cheap but if its not an option get /real
people/ on the platform you what to check to have a fiddle with your
sites. a screencap from a browser not even used by a human doesn't mean
****.

l i t t l e v o i c e s

Leif K-Brooks

Alan Cole wrote:
> Can someone point me to the website that allows you to see how your site
> will look in different browsers and different platforms.

There's really no substitute for trying it yourself. Even if the page
looks all right, you don't know what might happen when it's scrolled,
hovered, clicked, or interacted with in other ways.

But if you really can't test it yourself, use one of these services:
* http://www.danvine.com/icapture/ (free; limited to Safari)
* http://www.danvine.com/iecapture/ (free; a few Windows browsers)
* http://www.browsercam.com/ (costly, free trial; lots of browsers)

Alan Cole

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
brucie <****@usenetshit.info> wrote:

> In alt.html Alan Cole said:
>
> > Can someone point me to the website that allows you to see how your site
> > will look in different browsers and different platforms.

> download the browsers. any claims that a program or system can show you
> how your site will appear in a particular browser are at best inaccurate
> and at worst totally false and misleading.
>
> > Trying to get the hang of CSS layout but need to test things on other
> > platforms.

> secondhand computers are very cheap but if its not an option get /real
> people/ on the platform you what to check to have a fiddle with your
> sites. a screencap from a browser not even used by a human doesn't mean
> ****.

I know, I use a mac and need to test things on PC's.... I do get others
who do use PC's to check things for me, but it's not the same as seing
it for myself... Unfortunately I can't afford to buy a PC at the moment,
even a 2nd hand one.... Maybe one day.

Al.

--
Alan Cole. E-mail: justal at lineone dot net
http://www.forces-of-nature.co.uk [Coastal Sports]
http://www.tsunami-site-design.co.uk [Website Design]
http://tinyurl.com/64xrd [Plusnet ISP]

kchayka

Leif K-Brooks wrote:
> Alan Cole wrote:
>> Can someone point me to the website that allows you to see how your site
>> will look in different browsers and different platforms.

> There's really no substitute for trying it yourself. Even if the page
> looks all right, you don't know what might happen when it's scrolled,
> hovered, clicked, or interacted with in other ways.

Not to mention how the page adapts to different window and text sizes.
Those 2 things are never accounted for in those screencap services, but
can be a source of much quirkiness, especially when browser overflow
behaviors kick in.

Jan Faerber

Alan Cole wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> brucie <****@usenetshit.info> wrote:
>
>> In alt.html Alan Cole said:
>>
>> > Can someone point me to the website that allows you to see how your
>> > site will look in different browsers and different platforms.

Try to understand how the different browsers work.
Find a chart with quirks and standard modes for those browsers.

>> download the browsers. any claims that a program or system can show you
>> how your site will appear in a particular browser are at best inaccurate
>> and at worst totally false and misleading.

Sometimes you can install only one version of a browser.
To install the other version means to deinstall the installed one.

>> > Trying to get the hang of CSS layout but need to test things on other
>> > platforms.

IE is the most used browser.
Test the pages in less used ones if you want to understand what makes the
difference.

>> secondhand computers are very cheap but if its not an option get /real
>> people/ on the platform you what to check to have a fiddle with your
>> sites. a screencap from a browser not even used by a human doesn't mean
>> ****.

> I know, I use a mac and need to test things on PC's.... I do get others
> who do use PC's to check things for me, but it's not the same as seing
> it for myself... Unfortunately I can't afford to buy a PC at the moment,
> even a 2nd hand one.... Maybe one day.

It's OK.

--
Jan

http://html.janfaerber.com

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html, Jan Faerber <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> Sometimes you can install only one version of a browser.

Such as?

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

Alan Cole

> IE is the most used browser.
> Test the pages in less used ones if you want to understand what makes the
> difference.

I do, I generally use Firefox, but also test in IE, Opera, iCab,
Omniweb, Netscape, Safari and Camino... The main problem is that all of
these are on a Mac, so even then i'm only testing for the minority. I do
e-mail a few friends that have PC's and get them to look at things for
me, but its not as good as seeing it for myself as they don't really
know what I want it to look like!

I suppose I shall have to get a PC one day!

Al.

--
Alan Cole. E-mail: justal at lineone dot net
http://www.forces-of-nature.co.uk [Coastal Sports]
http://www.tsunami-site-design.co.uk [Website Design]
http://tinyurl.com/64xrd [Plusnet ISP]

Barbara de Zoete

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 07:42:10 +0000, Alan Cole <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> IE is the most used browser.
>> Test the pages in less used ones if you want to understand what makes
>> the difference.

> I do, I generally use Firefox, but also test in IE, Opera, iCab,
> Omniweb, Netscape, Safari and Camino... The main problem is that all of
> these are on a Mac, so even then i'm only testing for the minority. I do
> e-mail a few friends that have PC's and get them to look at things for
> me, but its not as good as seeing it for myself as they don't really
> know what I want it to look like!

There are two things you can do with that fact:
1. You upload a screencap of the page, showing how it should look
according to you;
2. You can ask if the look and feel are pleasand and if all functions
well, because if both answers to those questions are 'yes', who cares what
you wanted it to look like? No one will know that it is perhaps different
from the original design, if it is different.

> I suppose I shall have to get a PC one day!

The way I see it, there is absolutely no need for that.

--
Weblog | <http://home.wanadoo.nl/b.de.zoete/_private/weblog.html>
Webontwerp | <http://home.wanadoo.nl/b.de.zoete/html/webontwerp.html>

Jan Faerber

Mark Parnell wrote:

> Previously in alt.html, Jan Faerber <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> Sometimes you can install only one version of a browser.

> Such as?

When the top poster thinks just getting one PC will bring more browsers to
him he can have one version of IE and one version of Netscape.
Installing dual boot systems with different browser versions will cause
permanent restarts of the other boot selection.

--
Jan

http://html.janfaerber.com