Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > confused - html validates, css validates but validate css from the html causes errors

Reply
Thread Tools

confused - html validates, css validates but validate css from the html causes errors

 
 
Titus A Ducksass - AKA broken-record
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-14-2004
If you want to see the actual code, I would have to set up a dummy
site with the logo doctored to hide the organisation.

HTML Validates
w3c html validator http://validator.w3.org/ says
This Page Is Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional!

CSS Validates (second link from html validator)
w3c css validator http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/ says
Congratulations! This document validates as CSS!
Warnings URI link zapped)
Line : 0 font-family: You are encouraged to offer a
generic family as a last alternative

CSS does not validate (First link from html validator)
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?uri=(link zapped) says
Errors
URI : (link zapped)
Line: 14 Property layer-background-color doesn't exist : #66bad4

Line: 32 Property layer-background-color doesn't exist : #66bad4

Warnings
URI : (link zapped) Line : 0 font-family: You are encouraged to
offer a generic family as a last alternative

The colour in lines 14 and 32 is a mucky pale blue set by Dreamweaver
colour picker from our logo.

A sample of the css is:
.mbutton {
font-family : Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
font-style : normal;
font-weight : bold;
color : #ffffff;
text-decoration : none;
text-align : center;
vertical-align : middle;

Using Bobby http://bobby.watchfire.com/bobby/html/en/index.jsp
& WebXact http://webxact.watchfire.com/ the pages pass all the
automatic validations to AAA or priority 3 whichever way you count.
(I will never put the above on any of my pages as the moment I do will
be the moment I break it).

<A message to top posters. Type your reply here>

--
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur
built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
brucie
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-14-2004
In alt.html Titus A Ducksass - AKA broken-record said:

> If you want to see the actual code, I would have to set up a dummy
> site with the logo doctored to hide the organisation.


good idea

> Line : 0 font-family: You are encouraged to offer a
> generic family as a last alternative


15.2.6 Generic font families
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/fonts....-font-families

if you just specify a generic family (e.g. font-family:sans-serif
rather than a specific font name the visitor gets their preferred font
for that family and you get to keep the look you want. everyone's
giggly.

> Line: 14 Property layer-background-color doesn't exist : #66bad4


just what it says. layer isn't even a html element.

> Using Bobby http://bobby.watchfire.com/bobby/html/en/index.jsp


bobby cant even correctly parse a valid html document so don't take
what it says as gospel.

design your site to be accessible not to appease a program or list of
checkpoints. they're not the same thing and sometimes conflict.

if you come across a site claiming 'AAA' you know its been designed to
satisfy a checklist, not for the disabled visitor.

you can guess but cant claim the site is accessible until its tested
by the disabled.

Accessibility checking - can programs do it? (not really)
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/www/acctools.html



--
the facts and opinions expressed by brucies
l i t t l e v o i c e s
are not necessarily the same as those held by brucie.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Andy Dingley
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-14-2004
On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 09:11:27 GMT, Titus A Ducksass - AKA broken-record
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>If you want to see the actual code, I would have to set up a dummy
>site with the logo doctored to hide the organisation.


If you want us to _fix_ the actual code for you, then you will have to
let us see it.

> Line: 14 Property layer-background-color doesn't exist : #66bad4


Look for an attempt to set the background-color in your CSS, and a
word "layer" somewhere nearby, and a subtle syntax error that is
causing them to be concatenated.

--
Smert' spamionam
 
Reply With Quote
 
Steve Pugh
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-14-2004
On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 18:33:26 +0000, Andy Dingley
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 09:11:27 GMT, Titus A Ducksass - AKA broken-record
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Line: 14 Property layer-background-color doesn't exist : #66bad4

>
>Look for an attempt to set the background-color in your CSS, and a
>word "layer" somewhere nearby, and a subtle syntax error that is
>causing them to be concatenated.


No. Netscape 4 supported a custom CSS property called
layer-background-color which set the background colour for positioned
elements. The difference between layer-background-color and
background-color was teh layer-background-color created a background
that went all the way to the border whilst background-color left a
transparent gap just inside the border.

So back in 1998 there was reason to use layer-background-color to
create cross-browser conformity of presentation. But not in 2004.

Steve

 
Reply With Quote
 
Titus A Ducksass - AKA broken-record
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-14-2004
On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 19:23:48 +0000, Steve Pugh <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 18:33:26 +0000, Andy Dingley
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 09:11:27 GMT, Titus A Ducksass - AKA broken-record
>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Line: 14 Property layer-background-color doesn't exist : #66bad4

>>
>>Look for an attempt to set the background-color in your CSS, and a
>>word "layer" somewhere nearby, and a subtle syntax error that is
>>causing them to be concatenated.

>
>No. Netscape 4 supported a custom CSS property called
>layer-background-color which set the background colour for positioned
>elements. The difference between layer-background-color and
>background-color was teh layer-background-color created a background
>that went all the way to the border whilst background-color left a
>transparent gap just inside the border.
>
>So back in 1998 there was reason to use layer-background-color to
>create cross-browser conformity of presentation. But not in 2004.
>
> Steve


This is part of the offending line - as created by Dreamweaver MX (not
2004)

<div id="menu" style="position:absolute; z-index:2; top: 10px; left:
10px; background-color: #66BAD4; layer-background-color: #66BAD4;
border: 1px none #000000;">

I will test from work tomorrow without the layer-background-color:
#66BAD4; - I hadn't actually noticed it had been used twice in there.

<A message to top posters. Type your reply here>

--
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur
built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Andy Dingley
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-15-2004
On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 20:15:56 GMT, Titus A Ducksass - AKA broken-record
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>
>This is part of the offending line - as created by Dreamweaver MX (not
>2004)
>
><div id="menu" style="position:absolute; z-index:2; top: 10px; left:
>10px; background-color: #66BAD4; layer-background-color: #66BAD4;
>border: 1px none #000000;">


So why the hell couldn't you sort this out yourself from the very
obvious error message you were given ? And why expect other people
to play twenty questions on code we can't even see ?

<plonk>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Titus A Ducksass - AKA broken-record
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-15-2004
On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 01:33:51 +0000, Andy Dingley
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 20:15:56 GMT, Titus A Ducksass - AKA broken-record
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>
>>This is part of the offending line - as created by Dreamweaver MX (not
>>2004)
>>
>><div id="menu" style="position:absolute; z-index:2; top: 10px; left:
>>10px; background-color: #66BAD4; layer-background-color: #66BAD4;
>>border: 1px none #000000;">

>
>So why the hell couldn't you sort this out yourself from the very
>obvious error message you were given ? And why expect other people
>to play twenty questions on code we can't even see ?
>
><plonk>

Because it never occurred to me that the code was wrong.
The code validated until I validated the CSS which made me think there
was a problem with the CSS.

<A message to top posters. Type your reply here>

--
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur
built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: It Validates, Nice but not in IE 8!!! dorayme HTML 2 11-07-2010 07:43 AM
Re: It Validates, Nice but not in IE 8!!! 123Jim HTML 0 11-06-2010 11:22 AM
amazon causes html not to validate Jeff ASP .Net 2 01-26-2010 03:58 PM
Custom Validator validates, but doesn't tell Radu ASP .Net 8 04-09-2007 03:31 PM
Schema with ID/IDREF validates, but xml-file that uses it does not Eric Lilja XML 3 02-21-2007 08:50 PM



Advertisments