Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Have form, need mail...

Have form, need mail...

Inger Helene Falch-Jacobsen

Hi all,

I made myself a contact form. I have made all the
changes I was able to after I received useful
critique from Mr. Schuyt and others, but all the
mail I get are those I send to myself and that's
boring... I'd like to check if the system works
"globally" (I'm in Norway). If you enter your
email address, you will receive an automatic
reply, if all goes well. Then I'll send you a
"Thank you" mail for your effort! Anyone willing?
http://home.no.net/ingernet/cont.php

--
Inger Helene Falch-Jacobsen

brucie

In alt.html Inger Helene Falch-Jacobsen said:

> http://home.no.net/ingernet/cont.php

couldn't find an email address to email you. not everyone likes forms.
and dump sending a copy to the email address supplied, people will use
your form to spam.

l i t t l e v o i c e s

brucie

In alt.html brucie said:

>> http://home.no.net/ingernet/cont.php

> couldn't find an email address to email you. not everyone likes forms.
> and dump sending a copy to the email address supplied, people will use
> your form to spam.

and you don't appear to be validating whats submitted. what happens to
your account if i upload 500mb or a few gb? shutdown for exceeding
account limit? extra charges? what happens if i upload a bit of evil
scripting?

l i t t l e v o i c e s

brucie wrote:
> In alt.html brucie said:
>

>>>http://home.no.net/ingernet/cont.php

>>couldn't find an email address to email you. not everyone likes forms.

But still you tried my form! Thanks! (It was you,
not someone pretending to be you?)
The Home link takes you to a mailto-link (that
only works in IE, ugh...) and a text version of my
address. That's not enough? However, it was the
form I was eager to test this time.

>>and dump sending a copy to the email address supplied, people will use
>>your form to spam.

Do people search for forms that sends automatic

> and you don't appear to be validating whats submitted. what happens to
> your account if i upload 500mb or a few gb? shutdown for exceeding
> account limit? extra charges? what happens if i upload a bit of evil
> scripting?

71 kB of Lorem ipsum and a <? phpinfo(); ?> is no
problem, but why would anybody send me megs of
text? Do I have to prepare for that??

--
Inger Helene Falch-Jacobsen

brucie

In alt.html Inger Helene Falch-Jacobsen said:

> Do people search for forms that sends automatic

yes, its very popular. why have your own account shut down when you can
just use someones insecure form.

> 71 kB of Lorem ipsum and a <? phpinfo(); ?> is no
> problem, but why would anybody send me megs of
> text?

nothing better to do in the school holidays and just because they can.

> Do I have to prepare for that??

*yes*

you need to check everything thats submitted and either cut it off or
dump it entirely.

l i t t l e v o i c e s

brucie wrote:

> In alt.html Inger Helene Falch-Jacobsen said:
>

>>Do people search for forms that sends automatic

> yes, its very popular. why have your own account shut down when you can
> just use someones insecure form.
>

>>71 kB of Lorem ipsum and a <? phpinfo(); ?> is no
>>problem, but why would anybody send me megs of
>>text?

> nothing better to do in the school holidays and just because they can.
>

>>Do I have to prepare for that??

> *yes*
>
> you need to check everything thats submitted and either cut it off or
> dump it entirely.

The form was meant to reduce the spam flow, not
not to make it bigger! Seems I need help to get
those fields checked. I'd appreciate your help...

--
Inger Helene Falch-Jacobsen

brucie

In alt.html Inger Helene Falch-Jacobsen said:

> The form was meant to reduce the spam flow, not
> not to make it bigger!

only accept email with a text/plain mime and there isn't a spam issue.

> Seems I need help to get those fields checked. I'd appreciate your
> help...

sorry, its midnight. time for me to hunt and feeeeeeed.

this isn't too bad:
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/php/2004...mhandling.html

you may want to check out:
http://pear.php.net/package/HTML_QuickForm

l i t t l e v o i c e s

Hywel Jenkins

In article <yaold.7626$(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)lid says...
> brucie wrote:

> >>couldn't find an email address to email you. not everyone likes forms.

> But still you tried my form! Thanks! (It was you,
> not someone pretending to be you?)
> The Home link takes you to a mailto-link (that
> only works in IE, ugh...)

That's because your script is trying to do this:
document.write ('<a href='mailto:...'>Mail Me</a>');

Change the apostrophes around the mailto:..address to speech marks
instead.

--
Hywel

Hywel Jenkins wrote:

>>The Home link takes you to a mailto-link (that
>>only works in IE, ugh...)

> That's because your script is trying to do this:
> document.write ('<a href='mailto:...'>Mail Me</a>');
>
> Change the apostrophes around the mailto:..address to speech marks
> instead.

You mean "like this"? I even tried the ‘raised
commas’, but no changes...

--

Inger Helene Falch-Jacobsen wrote:
> Hywel Jenkins wrote:
>
>>> The Home link takes you to a mailto-link (that only works in IE, ugh...)

>> That's because your script is trying to do this:
>> document.write ('<a href='mailto:...'>Mail Me</a>');
>>
>> Change the apostrophes around the mailto:..address to speech marks
>> instead.

> You mean "like this"? I even tried the ‘raised commas’, but no changes...

The solution for me was to move all the contact
stuff into cont.php which already is plain
text/html. Even Brucie will be happy now (I hope!)

--
Inger Helene Falch-Jacobsen