Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > value attribute in element <input type="file">

value attribute in element <input type="file">

Matt

If I do the following, the browse text box still cannot see
C:/hello world/test.txt.

<input type="file" name="fileName" value="C:/hello world/test.txt" size=80>

I realize we couldn't set the default filename for security reasons, and browsers
don't support that. (http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/forms/file.html#value).

I really need to implement this feature, any workarounds to the problem?

Please advise. thanks!!

Karl Core

news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> If I do the following, the browse text box still cannot see
> C:/hello world/test.txt.
>
> <input type="file" name="fileName" value="C:/hello world/test.txt"
> size=80>
>
> I realize we couldn't set the default filename for security reasons, and
> browsers
> don't support that.
> (http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/forms/file.html#value).
>
> I really need to implement this feature, any workarounds to the problem?

Yeah, here's a great workaround: acceptance. Can't be done, so move on.

-Karl

Mitja

On 12 Nov 2004 13:45:15 -0800, Matt <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I realize we couldn't set the default filename for security reasons, and
> browsers
> don't support that.
> (http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/forms/file.html#value).
>
> I really need to implement this feature, any workarounds to the problem?

You'll still have to work on that realizing part
If there were workarounds, Jukka would've mentioned them. It can't be
done. Maybe we can help if you tell us about the background of your
problem.

--
Mitja

brucie

In alt.html Matt said:

> <input type="file" name="fileName" value="C:/hello world/test.txt" size=80>
> I really need to implement this feature, any workarounds to the problem?

use a browser that supports it such as opera3-6

l i t t l e v o i c e s

Jukka K. Korpela

brucie <****@usenetshit.info> wrote:

> use a browser that supports it such as opera3-6

Do you mean that something changed in a later version of Opera? My Opera
7.23 seems to support the value attribute as before (with the security
alert).

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Toby Inkster

Matt wrote:

> I realize we couldn't set the default filename for security reasons, and browsers
> don't support that. (http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/forms/file.html#value).
>
> I really need to implement this feature, any workarounds to the problem?

Of course there aren't any workarounds. If there were, they'd be security
problems and would be fixed in the next release of the browser. (e.g.
there was such a bug in Opera 6.01 and 6.02 for Windows, but it was fixed
in 6.03.)

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

brucie

In alt.html Jukka K. Korpela said:

>> use a browser that supports it such as opera3-6

> Do you mean that something changed in a later version of Opera?

i only looked in 3 and 6.

> My Opera 7.23 seems to support the value attribute as before (with the
> security alert).

yep but i didn't get a security alert. its not supported by 7.54 or
7.6p2.

l i t t l e v o i c e s

ravee ravee is offline
Junior Member