Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > What is happening to Mozilla ?

What is happening to Mozilla ?

Penang

I guess everyone already know that FireFox 1.0 is out.

And perhaps I'm just s-l-o-w, but I have no idea what Mozilla is doing
these days.

Look at the Mozilla Road Map www.mozilla.org/roadmap.html and
currently Mozilla is stucked at 1.8 Alpha 4

ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mozilla/releases/

One look at Mozilla Status Page www.mozilla.org/status/ the last
update was May, 2004.

So, what is going on with Mozilla ?

Is it dead ?

Leonidas Jones

Penang wrote:
> I guess everyone already know that FireFox 1.0 is out.
>
> And perhaps I'm just s-l-o-w, but I have no idea what Mozilla is doing
> these days.
>
> Look at the Mozilla Road Map www.mozilla.org/roadmap.html and
> currently Mozilla is stucked at 1.8 Alpha 4
>
> ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mozilla/releases/
>
> One look at Mozilla Status Page www.mozilla.org/status/ the last
> update was May, 2004.
>
> So, what is going on with Mozilla ?
>
> Is it dead ?

There should be a 1.8a5 out in few days.

The new versioning for Mozilla has been slowed down intentionally since
new development is focused on Firefox. There will be new versions, but
not on the quarterly scedule to which we had become accustomed.

Lee

brucie

In
netscape.public.mozilla.browser,alt.html,netscape. public.mozilla.general
Penang said:

> And perhaps I'm just s-l-o-w, but I have no idea what Mozilla is doing
> these days.

maybe they're busy lightening it up a bit and optimizing the rendering
so it doesn't feel so much like a slow heaver clunker. with the default
gargantuan GUI taking up precious screen real estate it just makes it
feel worse.

l i t t l e v o i c e s

C A Upsdell

"Penang" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
>I guess everyone already know that FireFox 1.0 is out.
> So, what is going on with Mozilla ?
>
> Is it dead ?

AFAIK 1.8 will not be released until perhaps Feb of 2005.

Rickkins

The problem is, the ugly stepchild(fireturd) is getting all the
attention these days. It's a huge mistake, imho.

MOZILLA FOREVER !!!!!!!!

On 10 Nov 2004 22:06:57 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Penang) wrote:

>I guess everyone already know that FireFox 1.0 is out.
>
>And perhaps I'm just s-l-o-w, but I have no idea what Mozilla is doing
>these days.
>
>Look at the Mozilla Road Map www.mozilla.org/roadmap.html and
>currently Mozilla is stucked at 1.8 Alpha 4
>
> ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mozilla/releases/
>
>One look at Mozilla Status Page www.mozilla.org/status/ the last
>update was May, 2004.
>
>So, what is going on with Mozilla ?
>
>Is it dead ?

Ed Mullen

brucie wrote:
> In
> netscape.public.mozilla.browser,alt.html,netscape. public.mozilla.general
> Penang said:
>

>>And perhaps I'm just s-l-o-w, but I have no idea what Mozilla is doing
>>these days.

> maybe they're busy lightening it up a bit and optimizing the rendering
> so it doesn't feel so much like a slow heaver clunker. with the default
> gargantuan GUI taking up precious screen real estate it just makes it
> feel worse.

Huh? "... default gargantuan GUI ..."? When I toggle between Mozilla
and FF they take up almost exactly the same screen real estate.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T

Penang wrote:
> I guess everyone already know that FireFox 1.0 is out.
>
> And perhaps I'm just s-l-o-w, but I have no idea what Mozilla is doing
> these days.
>
> Look at the Mozilla Road Map www.mozilla.org/roadmap.html and
> currently Mozilla is stucked at 1.8 Alpha 4
>
> ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mozilla/releases/
>
> One look at Mozilla Status Page www.mozilla.org/status/ the last
> update was May, 2004.
>
> So, what is going on with Mozilla ?
>
> Is it dead ?

Not true I am using 1.8.a.5 nightly as I speak now.

Phillip M. Jones, CET |MEMBER:VPEA (LIFE) ETA-I, NESDA,ISCET, Sterling
Martinsville Va 24112-1809 |(E-Mail Removed), ICQ11269732, AIM pjonescet

If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!

mailto(E-Mail Removed)

<http://home.kimbanet.com/~pjones/birthday/index.htm>
<http://vpea.exis.net>

Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T

Ed Mullen wrote:
> brucie wrote:
>
>>In
>>netscape.public.mozilla.browser,alt.html,netscap e.public.mozilla.general
>>Penang said:
>>

>>>And perhaps I'm just s-l-o-w, but I have no idea what Mozilla is doing
>>>these days.

>>maybe they're busy lightening it up a bit and optimizing the rendering
>>so it doesn't feel so much like a slow heaver clunker. with the default
>>gargantuan GUI taking up precious screen real estate it just makes it
>>feel worse.
>>

> Huh? "... default gargantuan GUI ..."? When I toggle between Mozilla
> and FF they take up almost exactly the same screen real estate.

actually if you account for the size of the icons used (mayb e
customizable) Mozilla actually take up less space for the menubars than
firefox.

Ed Mullen said:

>> maybe they're busy lightening it up a bit and optimizing the rendering
>> so it doesn't feel so much like a slow heaver clunker. with the default
>> gargantuan GUI taking up precious screen real estate it just makes it
>> feel worse.

> Huh? "... default gargantuan GUI ..."?

my theory is fisher-price had staff cutbacks in their big and bubbly
toy designs department (ages 3-7). some went to M$ and did the new big
and bubbly XP GUI with an added touch of brightness (kiddies love bright
things) and some did the big and bubbly mozilla GUI.

> When I toggle between Mozilla and FF they take up almost exactly the
> same screen real estate.

they've managed to get out of the habit of 'bubbly' which lessen the
impression of the big but they still looove big.

l i t t l e v o i c e s

Aquila Deus

Rickkins <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> The problem is, the ugly stepchild(fireturd) is getting all the
> attention these days. It's a huge mistake, imho.

I agree. Why don't they just focus on mozilla instead?

> MOZILLA FOREVER !!!!!!!!

IE FOREVER!!!!