Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > form output to text file

form output to text file

nate

I want to have a user enter values in to 2 separate form fields and have
those values saved to a text file (actually an .ini file) on their PC. I
don't want the user to see or have access to the full text of the .ini file
so I thought an interface would be useful. I have some knowledge of html and
javascript but don't know how to do this task. If it isn't possible or there
is a better method I'd appreciate the feedback. Otherwise here is what I
want to know...

How do I save to a local file?
How do I specify the file name and path to save to?
How do I modify an existing text file or would it be easier to have all of
the text written each time the values are saved?
How do I make sure the values are saved when the user clicks on the button?

TIA

brucie

In alt.html nate said:

> I want to have a user enter values in to 2 separate form fields and have
> those values saved to a text file (actually an .ini file) on their PC.

1. user fills out form and uploads it to server.
2. you do whatever you have to do to it.
3. supply a link to giggly file with instruction on what giggly things
to do with it.

> I don't want the user to see or have access to the full text of the .ini file

tuff

> How do I save to a local file?

you cant

> How do I specify the file name and path to save to?

you cant

> How do I modify an existing text file

you cant

> or would it be easier to have all of the text written each time the
> values are saved?

you'll have to do it that way with your server side script.

> How do I make sure the values are saved when the user clicks on the button?

client and server side validation checking the input.

l i t t l e v o i c e s

Neredbojias

Without quill or qualm, nate quothed:

> I want to have a user enter values in to 2 separate form fields and have
> those values saved to a text file (actually an .ini file) on their PC. I
> don't want the user to see or have access to the full text of the .ini file

Yeah, right. Even IE's security isn't that bad, oberlieutnant.

--
Neredbojias

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html, nate <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> I want to have a user enter values in to 2 separate form fields and have
> those values saved to a text file (actually an .ini file) on their PC. I
> don't want the user to see or have access to the full text of the .ini file

ROFLOL! Sarcasm can be so funny when done properly!

Umm, you *were* joking, weren't you?

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au