Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > <a title=""> tag and line breaking

<a title=""> tag and line breaking

\(. \)\( .\) siorbaj cycka

is there any chance to brake line in tag:

<a title="tip message"></a>

???

i tried using "\n" but with no effect.

thnx for help, or any advice

brucie

In alt.html (. )( .) siorbaj cycka said:

> is there any chance to brake line in tag:
>
> <a title="tip message"></a>

<a title="tip
message"></a>

> i tried using "\n" but with no effect.

'<a title="tip'."\r\n".'message"></a>'

l i t t l e v o i c e s

\(. \)\( .\) siorbaj cycka

> <a title="tip
> message"></a>

thnx dude!

is that only way?

David Dorward

brucie wrote:

>> is there any chance to brake line in tag:

> <a title="tip
> message"></a>

But browser support is variable, and some browsers display a non-printing
character instead of a line break. You are probably better off keeping your
short piece of advisory information... short.

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

brucie

In alt.html (. )( .) siorbaj cycka said:

>> <a title="tip
>> message"></a>

> is that only way?

i thought you were after breaking it in the source not in the actual
'tool tip'. IE allows it, real browsers don't because they're supposed
to ignore LFs and replace CRs with a tab or space.

put your goodies on the page.

l i t t l e v o i c e s

brucie

In alt.html David Dorward said:

>> <a title="tip
>> message"></a>

> But browser support is variable,

i'm horrified that you would think i would ever recommend such a thing.

> and some browsers display a non-printing character instead of a line
> break.

gecko bug

> You are probably better off keeping your short piece of
> advisory information... short.

i thought he meant in the source, not in the tool tip. it was the use of
\n that threw me.

l i t t l e v o i c e s

Jukka K. Korpela

David Dorward <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> You are probably better off keeping your
> short piece of advisory information... short.

Maximum of 50 characters, to be exact. The title attribute's value may be
longer, but then
a) you'll have the problems with line breaks - some browsers
automagically break the line, some don't, and line breaks in attribute
values*) are inconsistently handled
b) users have difficulties in reading the tooltips (which haven't been
that well implemented in browsers).

*) Few people know how they _should_ be handled by SGML or XML
specifications. I once studied this and learned it, and then I forgot.
It's simply a mess.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/