Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > menu usable?

menu usable?

chlori

Hello

Is the menu (http://www.alz-maschinen.ch/vorschlag1/)
readable and usable in 'every' browser/OS? Any
accessibility issues?

Can someone test with older browsers on a MAC and make
a screencap?

Thanks
chlori

Titus A Ducksass - AKA broken-record

On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 09:47:18 +0100, chlori <chlori@.invalid> wrote:

>Hello
>
>Is the menu (http://www.alz-maschinen.ch/vorschlag1/)
>readable and usable in 'every' browser/OS? Any
>accessibility issues?
>
>Can someone test with older browsers on a MAC and make
>a screencap?
>
>Thanks
>chlori

Looks good.
nearly 'A' compliant. - needs a alt tag for the image.
nearly 'AAA' compliant. needs a language identifier.

With the alt tag fixed it would be 'AA' compliant and your xhtml would
also validate.

Test for yourself http://validator.w3.org/ for validating code.
Test your CSS here http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/
Test for A, AA & AAA here http://webxact.watchfire.com/

<A message to top posters. Type your reply here>

--
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur
built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.

brucie

In alt.html chlori said:

> Is the menu (http://www.alz-maschinen.ch/vorschlag1/)
> readable and usable in 'every' browser/OS?

unreadably small text in IE due to bug with ems. use percentages and
100 of them.

common problem with those types of menus is falling apart with small
windows and/or large fonts. perhaps a min-width in ems so it adjusts
with the font size (min-width not supported by IE) but then you'll get
icky horizontal scroll bars.

apart from those issues and not being able to read a word i found it
very clear, easy to use and to know where i was. not so easy without css
but i suspect its just because i cant read it.

the site works with just vanilla html so i don't think you need to
worry about it not working in browsers. it even works in prehistoric NS2
and web tv.

> Any accessibility issues?

your logo should be in a <h1> with alt text of whatever the image
says. only one <h1> per page, use less important <hx> as required
through the page.

think of more appropriate alt texts.

i expect a big bag lollies (soft squishy ones, i don't like hard ones)

l i t t l e v o i c e s

Alan Cole

In article <cmfeld$kb0$(E-Mail Removed)-plus.net>, chlori <chlori@.invalid>
wrote:

> Hello
>
> Is the menu (http://www.alz-maschinen.ch/vorschlag1/)
> readable and usable in 'every' browser/OS? Any
> accessibility issues?
>
> Can someone test with older browsers on a MAC and make
> a screencap?
>
> Thanks
> chlori

Looks fine here on a Mac (Modern browsers not old ones.)

Al.

--
Alan Cole. E-mail: justal at lineone dot net
http://www.forces-of-nature.co.uk [Coastal Sports]

chlori

Titus A Ducksass - AKA broken-record schrieb am
05.11.2004 10:30:
> With the alt tag fixed it would be 'AA' compliant and your xhtml would
> also validate.

How important is A, AA, AAA compliance? And for who is
it important? (I've never heard of this before.)

chlori

chlori

brucie schrieb am 05.11.2004 10:42:
> unreadably small text in IE due to bug with ems. use percentages and
> 100 of them.

So: "Font size 1em in not the same size as 100%!"?
And: "Never use 'em' for font-sizes!"?

Is it safe not to define the font size at all? Is there
a difference between '100%' and 'no defined font size'?

> your logo should be in a <h1> with alt text of whatever the image
> says. only one <h1> per page, use less important <hx> as required
> through the page.

Is that for search enginges or speech-/text-browsers?

Thanks
chlori

brucie

In alt.html chlori said:

> How

g'day

> important is A, AA, AAA compliance?

not very, it just a guide to point you in the right direction for making
your site accessible to the widest range of users but design your site
to be accessible not to appease a program or list of checkpoints.
they're not the same thing and sometimes conflict.

and i forgot to mention in my previous post you may have an issue with
the contrast of the blue on blue text.

> And for who is it important?

everyone because everyone benefits.

30 days to a more accessible web site
http://diveintoaccessibility.org/

Web Accessibility Initiative (W3C)
http://www.w3.org/WAI/

Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 1.0
http://www.w3.org/TR/WAI-WEBCONTENT/

Accessibility checking - can programs do it? (not really)
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/www/acctools.html

a-prompt: http://aprompt.snow.utoronto.ca/
cynthia says (508/wcag): http://www.contentquality.com/
website analysis http://www.websiteoptimization.com/services/analyze/
website checklist http://www.xs4all.nl/~sbpoley/webmatters/checklist.html

l i t t l e v o i c e s

brucie

In alt.html chlori said:

>> unreadably small text in IE due to bug with ems. use percentages and
>> 100 of them.

> So: "Font size 1em in not the same size as 100%!"?

not always with IE.

> And: "Never use 'em' for font-sizes!"?

IE gets upset sometimes, it just easier to use % rather than risk
invoking the ems bug.

> Is it safe not to define the font size at all?

if you don't the visitor will get their default sizes. the visitor
wouldn't set the size to something they cant read so you know they'll be
able to read the text.

use whatever sizes you like but don't go below 100% unless for some
reason you want to make it more difficult for your visitors to read
something.

> Is there a difference between '100%' and 'no defined font size'?

no. the default size whatever it may be is always 100%.

>> your logo should be in a <h1> with alt text of whatever the image
>> says. only one <h1> per page, use less important <hx> as required
>> through the page.

> Is that for search enginges or speech-/text-browsers?

and semantics.

wheres my bag of lollies?

l i t t l e v o i c e s

Jim Higson

chlori wrote:

> Hello
>
> Is the menu (http://www.alz-maschinen.ch/vorschlag1/)
> readable and usable in 'every' browser/OS? Any
> accessibility issues?
>
> Can someone test with older browsers on a MAC and make
> a screencap?
>
> Thanks
> chlori

Fine in Konqueror 3.2

Jan Faerber

brucie wrote:

> · apart from those issues and not being able to read a word i found it
> very clear, easy to use and to know where i was. not so easy without css
> but i suspect its just because i cant read it.

'ALZ Maschinen für die Bäckerei-, Biscuit- und Schokoladenindustrie'
=> dough mixer and other maschines for the industrial production of biscuits
and chocolate

> · i expect a big bag lollies (soft squishy ones, i don't like hard ones)

rofl -

--
Jan

http://www.janfaerber.com