Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > hit counter

hit counter

Woof

I am making a website for a small business who want me to place a hit
counter on their website.
Are there any free hit counters?
How expensive are the non free ones?
Which would be the better ones?

Thanks

SpaceGirl

Woof wrote:
> I am making a website for a small business who want me to place a hit
> counter on their website.
> Are there any free hit counters?
> How expensive are the non free ones?
> Which would be the better ones?
>
> Thanks

They're a really bad idea. Why on earth would anyone want to tell their
customers how many people have visited their site? That's one bit of
information people DONT need unless you are a system administrator.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

brucie

In alt.html SpaceGirl said:

> Why on earth would anyone want to tell their customers how many people
> have visited their site?

or not visited

l i t t l e v o i c e s

brucie

In alt.html Woof said:

> I am making a website for a small business who want me to place a hit
> counter on their website.

use your server logs, they're far more accurate however:

Analog 5.32: How the web works
4. What you can't know.
You can't tell the identity of your readers.
You can't tell how many visitors you've had.
You can't tell how many visits you've had.
Cookies don't solve these problems.
You can't follow a person's path through your site.
You often can't tell where they entered your site, or where they found
out about you from.
You can't tell how they left your site, or where they went next.
You can't tell how long people spent reading each page.
You can't tell how long people spent on your site.
http://www.analog.cx/docs/webworks.html

l i t t l e v o i c e s

rf

Woof

> I am making a website for a small business who want me to place a hit
> counter on their website.

Hmmm.

What the spacegirl wrote, plus:

> Are there any free hit counters?

Endless. Google for hit counter.

> How expensive are the non free ones?

Don't pay any money for one. You could write one yourself in about 5
minutes.

> Which would be the better ones?

The one you just wrote.

BTW hit counters tell you nothing about your viewers.

--
Cheers
Richard.

rf

brucie
> In alt.html SpaceGirl said:
>
> > Why on earth would anyone want to tell their customers how many people
> > have visited their site?

> or not visited

brucie! You have to start the hit counter at 34325.

--
Cheers
Richard.

PeterL

Woof wrote:
> I am making a website for a small business who want me to place a hit
> counter on their website.
> Are there any free hit counters?
> How expensive are the non free ones?
> Which would be the better ones?
>
> Thanks

There are dozens around I have used those from Bravenet and nedstat.

As said they are pretty useless and as Brucie points out can show how few
visitors you have unless you fake the number by using the refresh button.

Of the two I mentioned the nedstat one is better from an information point
of view.

PeterL

brucie

In alt.html rf said:

>>> Why on earth would anyone want to tell their customers how many people
>>> have visited their site?

>> or not visited

> brucie! You have to start the hit counter at 34325.

but... but... but.... thats not honest!

l i t t l e v o i c e s

rf

PeterL

[hit counters]

> Of the two I mentioned the nedstat one is better from an information point
> of view.

And what information does it give?

--
Cheers
Richard.

Woof

Thanks guys.
Much appreciated.
I will pass on your replies to my client and see if he still wants a
counter.

Cheers

news:418a0d03$0$2305$(E-Mail Removed)...