Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Border not showing up

Border not showing up

Tiger Hillside

I am trying to get a border around a box and it does not show up. It
is that simple. It shows up just fine in the dreamweaver internal
browser, but neither Firefox nor IE show it. (Dreamweaver shows the
border at the wrong size, but that is not really a problem for now.)

The link is www.nyccure.com/border.html. I am using internal CSS to
make the example easy. I am sure I am doing something simple and
stupid, but what?

Michael Winter

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 13:55:31 GMT, Tiger Hillside
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[snip]

> The link is www.nyccure.com/border.html.

For convenience, it's best to provide a complete URL (including the
scheme), and to wrap it with <URL:...> so that clients identify it as a
clickable link.

<URL:http://www.nyccure.com/border.html>

> [...] I am sure I am doing something simple and stupid, but what?

You didn't specify the border style, which defaults to none. Also, rather
than specify the properties individually, use the border shorthand:

The style is the only property that really *needs* to be set in order for
a user agent to display the border. If the colour is omitted, the value of
the color property for the element will be used. If the width is omitted,
the value will default to medium.

Mike

--
Michael Winter

Steve Pugh

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I am trying to get a border around a box and it does not show up. It
> is that simple. It shows up just fine in the dreamweaver internal
> browser, but neither Firefox nor IE show it. (Dreamweaver shows the
> border at the wrong size, but that is not really a problem for now.)

Ignore what DW shows, the display in DW does not match the actual display
in any browser. I find that the best way to use DW is to stick to Code
View for 90% of the time.

> The link is www.nyccure.com/border.html. I am using internal CSS to
> make the example easy. I am sure I am doing something simple and
> stupid, but what?

..container {
border-color: #FFFFFF;
border-width: 20px;
}

Borders have three components: colour, size and style. You have specified
that the border be white and 20px wide but you haven't specified a style
so the default style is used and the default style is 'none'.

Steve

Tiger Hillside

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 14:07:55 GMT, "Michael Winter"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 13:55:31 GMT, Tiger Hillside
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>[snip]
>
>> The link is www.nyccure.com/border.html.

>For convenience, it's best to provide a complete URL (including the
>scheme), and to wrap it with <URL:...> so that clients identify it as a
>clickable link.

<sigh>
Thanks. Will do. I wish, just once, I could get those kind of details
right the first time.

> <URL:http://www.nyccure.com/border.html>
>
>> [...] I am sure I am doing something simple and stupid, but what?

>You didn't specify the border style, which defaults to none.

Ah, I thought it defaulted to solid.

>Also, rather
>than specify the properties individually, use the border shorthand:

I am of mixed mind about things like that.

>The style is the only property that really *needs* to be set in order for
>a user agent to display the border. If the colour is omitted, the value of
>the color property for the element will be used. If the width is omitted,
>the value will default to medium.

<snerg>

Yeah, that makes sense. I fail to specify the one thing that I need to
specify. In my weak defense I was using a CSS editor.

Thanks.

Tiger Hillside

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 15:09:28 +0100, "Steve Pugh" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 13:55:31 GMT, Tiger Hillside
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I am trying to get a border around a box and it does not show up. It
>> is that simple. It shows up just fine in the dreamweaver internal
>> browser, but neither Firefox nor IE show it. (Dreamweaver shows the
>> border at the wrong size, but that is not really a problem for now.)

>Ignore what DW shows, the display in DW does not match the actual display
>in any browser. I find that the best way to use DW is to stick to Code
>View for 90% of the time.

I agree. I was just mentioning that for completeness. I don't use the
DW designer for testing and assume it is bad for CSS.