Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > databases

databases

WindAndWaves

Hi Gurus

I am wondering what is the cleanest,easy and simplest way to connect a
website to a database (PHP + MySQL???).

I have little experience with the above (only MS Access), but plenty of
experience with HTML.

Can someone point me in the right direction.

Thank you

- Nicolaas

brucie

http://www.sitepoint.com/books/phpmysql1/

--
brucie{display:nude;voice-family:'many little';speech-rate-fast;}

Jeffrey Silverman

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 22:04:56 +1300, WindAndWaves wrote:

> I am wondering what is the cleanest,easy and simplest way to connect a
> website to a database (PHP + MySQL???).
>
> I have little experience with the above (only MS Access), but plenty of
> experience with HTML.

Ultimately, the easiest way is probably to hire someone who knows what
they are doing.

Questions for you:
*Why* do you want to connect a database to a website? Do you have a
real need for this? Or is it just a cool neat thing that you could do or
that you heard you should do or the pointy-haired boss wants just because
he was in a technobabbly marketing meeting and he heard some flashy
technology keywords?

My point here is that, just becasue it *can* be done, doesn't mean it
*should* be done.

--
Jeffrey D. Silverman | http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
Website | http://www.newtnotes.com

Drop "PANTS" to reply by email

Dan Abrey

"WindAndWaves" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:6rofd.2790$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Gurus
>
> I am wondering what is the cleanest,easy and simplest way to connect a
> website to a database (PHP + MySQL???).
>
> I have little experience with the above (only MS Access), but plenty of
> experience with HTML.
>
> Can someone point me in the right direction.

If you are a complete newbie with database interaction then I would suggest
MS Access and Coldfusion.

Travis Newbury

In article <6rofd.2790$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
says...
> I am wondering what is the cleanest,easy and simplest way to connect a
> website to a database (PHP + MySQL???).

Depends on what you have on your host. The easiest way would include
some server side scripting language as well as some database. The
process with any of these will be almost exactly the same, the only
difference will be syntax.
--
-=*Tn*=-

Nik Coughin

Dan Abrey wrote:
> "WindAndWaves" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:6rofd.2790$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi Gurus
>>
>> I am wondering what is the cleanest,easy and simplest way to connect
>> a website to a database (PHP + MySQL???).
>>
>> I have little experience with the above (only MS Access), but plenty
>> of experience with HTML.
>>
>> Can someone point me in the right direction.

> If you are a complete newbie with database interaction then I would
> suggest MS Access and Coldfusion.

Hahaha. Coldfusion is NZ$2,500. PHP and MySQL are pretty damn easy. There
is a metric shitload of resources and tutorials for both on the 'net. Lots
of them are specifically about using the two together.

WindAndWaves

"Jeffrey Silverman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed).. .
> On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 22:04:56 +1300, WindAndWaves wrote:
>
> > I am wondering what is the cleanest,easy and simplest way to connect a
> > website to a database (PHP + MySQL???).
> >
> > I have little experience with the above (only MS Access), but plenty of
> > experience with HTML.

> Ultimately, the easiest way is probably to hire someone who knows what
> they are doing.
>
> Questions for you:
> *Why* do you want to connect a database to a website? Do you have a
> real need for this? Or is it just a cool neat thing that you could do or
> that you heard you should do or the pointy-haired boss wants just because
> he was in a technobabbly marketing meeting and he heard some flashy
> technology keywords?
>
> My point here is that, just becasue it *can* be done, doesn't mean it
> *should* be done.
>
> --
> Jeffrey D. Silverman | (E-Mail Removed)
> Website | http://www.newtnotes.com
>
> Drop "PANTS" to reply by email

It is a site with about 500 pages that should be able to be searched - I
will create most pages without a database, but ultimately, it will be by far
the best way of doing it.

Dan Abrey

"Nik Coughin" <nrkn!no-spam!@woosh.co.nz> wrote in message
news:cDCfd.3229$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dan Abrey wrote:
> > "WindAndWaves" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:6rofd.2790$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Hi Gurus
> >>
> >> I am wondering what is the cleanest,easy and simplest way to connect
> >> a website to a database (PHP + MySQL???).
> >>
> >> I have little experience with the above (only MS Access), but plenty
> >> of experience with HTML.
> >>
> >> Can someone point me in the right direction.

> > If you are a complete newbie with database interaction then I would
> > suggest MS Access and Coldfusion.

> Hahaha. Coldfusion is NZ$2,500. PHP and MySQL are pretty damn easy.

There
> is a metric shitload of resources and tutorials for both on the 'net.

Lots
> of them are specifically about using the two together.

As a newbie I found Coldfusion the perfect stepping stone from HTML to
dynamic languages.