Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > restricting access to web pages

restricting access to web pages

mutant

Will someone please share their java script code that I can use on my web
page to disallow the MS(copywrite,inc,registered all that)browser from
viewing my page.

Thanks in advance,

Paul F. Johnson

Hi,

> Will someone please share their java script code that I can use on my web
> page to disallow the MS(copywrite,inc,registered all that)browser from
> viewing my page.

Check the useragent. That can be done in cgi, so if the person using IE
doesn't have JS running, they still won't get through.

That said, the web is all about not excluding anyone (even if some think
it is), so please, don't bar a browser. Some just aren't aware there are
alternatives, or if there are, how to install and use them. Stopping
them from using your website won't do anything except ensure they don't
return.

TTFN

Paul

--

http://www.all-the-johnsons.co.uk

Joy!

mutant

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 01:34:27 +0000, Paul F. Johnson wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> Will someone please share their java script

.... snip ..

> Check the useragent.
>
> Paul

Thank you very much Paul. Would you send that cgi script to my email
address.

- Peace -

lostinspace

"Stopping them from using your website won't do anything except ensure they
don't return."

Duh! Like isn't denying visitors you do not desire the point of this thread?

Even many people in automobiles have no business driving. That doesn't stop
me from avoiding their path at all costs.
Especially when they belong on a tricycle with toddlers.

mutant

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 01:53:51 +0000, lostinspace wrote:

Hey lost in space. I'll try to answer you.

> "Stopping them from using your website won't do anything except ensure they
> don't return."

Is this why the guys who block linux browsers do it?

> Duh! Like isn't denying visitors you do not desire the point of this thread?

I can see how that could be seen; but, no.

> Even many people in automobiles have no business driving. That doesn't stop
> me from avoiding their path at all costs.
> Especially when they belong on a tricycle with toddlers.

I like wear a mask around viruses. Do you know what I mean?

mutant

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 01:34:27 +0000, Paul F. Johnson wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> Will someone please share their java script

.... snip ..

> Check the useragent.
>
> Paul

Thank you very much Paul. Would you or anyone else send a cgi script
like that to my email address.

- Peace -

lostinspace

> On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 01:53:51 +0000, lostinspace wrote:
>
> Hey lost in space. I'll try to answer you.
>
>> "Stopping them from using your website won't do anything except ensure
>> they
>> don't return."

> Is this why the guys who block linux browsers do it?
>

>> Duh! Like isn't denying visitors you do not desire the point of this
>> thread?

> I can see how that could be seen; but, no.
>

>> Even many people in automobiles have no business driving. That doesn't
>> stop
>> me from avoiding their path at all costs.
>> Especially when they belong on a tricycle with toddlers.

> I like wear a mask around viruses. Do you know what I mean?

mutant,
each "competent" webmaster makes a decision as to what
traffic they desire, the goals of their website (s) and what is detrimental
or beneficial to their own website (s).
I haven't a clue what your goals are for your website (s) nor you mine.

Your initial inquiry was related to denying a specific type of visitor to
your website (s).
Java is a non-effective method for that.

Server Side is more effective.
In the event that you have your own server, http.something another is for
that purpose.
In the even that your website (s) are hosted, the only option you have is
htaccess.

All this crap about CPU load is exactly that.
My htaccess in just under 1000 lines and there is no CPU load. I've checked
time and again with my host.

I see numbers like the following for traffic and all I see is more crap:

"250 requests per second (lets call them
hits). That's two and a bit million per day. 684 million hits per month."
end of quote and from another thread in alt.www.webmaster.

It has been my experience in following my sites traffic patterns to provide
a denial line which has the least overall effect on traffic as a whole. In
some instances that may be possible with a small IP range. In other
instances it may be accomplished with either a UA or REFER reference.
It's not full-proof or 100% effective. It does provide a solution to
intrusions (which ISP's will not act upon [violations of UAG or TOS]) which
previously didn't exist for many webmasters. And still today, many
webmasters don't even bother looking at logs or traffic patterns as related
to the goals of their website, much less understanding that traffic.

" I like wear a mask around viruses. Do you know what I mean?"

I'm not sure what this is about?

Mark Parnell

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 01:34:27 GMT, "Paul F. Johnson"
<(E-Mail Removed)> declared in alt.html:

> Check the useragent.

Which can be spoofed, so you could easily unwittingly block users of
other browsers as well.

> That said, the web is all about not excluding anyone (even if some think
> it is), so please, don't bar a browser. Some just aren't aware there are
> alternatives, or if there are, how to install and use them.

No disagreement there. Unfortunate, but that's the way it is.

> Stopping them from using your website won't do anything except ensure
> they don't return.

Nor their friends, or family, even if they do use a different browser. ]

To the OP: You're going to be losing the vast majority of your visitors,
even if you do get it working the way you want it to.

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

mutant

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 03:06:13 +0000, lostinspace wrote:

I have read your post. Thank you very much for your thoughtful reply.

And thanks again ...

....snip ..

I am not going to edit your post. "<i>save the bandwidth</i>

> mutant,
> each "competent" webmaster makes a decision as to what
> traffic they desire, the goals of their website (s) and what is detrimental
> or beneficial to their own website (s).

Ok I think this is here for someone other than myself. I mean it has to be.

> I haven't a clue what your goals are for your website (s) nor you mine.

I can share but is that allowed here? As for yours, you can share. But
only share the uncopyrighted stuff. I live in America and can go to prison
for messing with copyrighted stuff. We might be doing the same thing....

> Your initial inquiry was related to denying a specific type of visitor to
> your website (s).

For me... this took some thought. And I think I know what you mean. Not
because you are unclear but, more that I have more than one way of seeing
things.

Yes

> Java is a non-effective method for that.

The last I had read sometime ago it was the only way. I did not mean for
you to think me knowledge or current because I am not. Like I said. Last I
knew that was the only way. I never used it so I don't know how that went
either.

> Server Side is more effective.

My understanding is that everything is safer server side. But that's just
my read. Which is why I need a newsgroup. It's like seeing it through
another's eyes.

> In the event that you have your own server, http.something another is for
> that purpose.

HuH?

> In the even that your website (s) are hosted, the only option you have is
> htaccess.

> All this crap about CPU load is exactly that.

Wow... where did that come from?!

> My htaccess in just under 1000 lines and there is no CPU load. I've checked
> time and again with my host.

decaf ....decaf .... decaf

> I see numbers like the following for traffic and all I see is more crap:

Um .... I got to go now ......

> "250 requests per second (lets call them
> hits). That's two and a bit million per day. 684 million hits per month."
> end of quote and from another thread in alt.www.webmaster.

Ok man Ok

> It has been my experience in following my sites traffic patterns to provide
> a denial line which has the least overall effect on traffic as a whole. In
> some instances that may be possible with a small IP range. In other
> instances it may be accomplished with either a UA or REFER reference.
> It's not full-proof or 100% effective. It does provide a solution to
> intrusions (which ISP's will not act upon [violations of UAG or TOS]) which
> previously didn't exist for many webmasters. And still today, many
> webmasters don't even bother looking at logs or traffic patterns as related
> to the goals of their website, much less understanding that traffic.
>

> " I like wear a mask around viruses. Do you know what I mean?"
>
> I'm not sure what this is about?

I have read in several mediums that Microsoft's internet browser in
insecure. Also everyone knows that that is the stuff that gets virus.

So virus = bug(s)
mask = protection from bugs
restricting virus prone computers from my web site = priceless.

- Peace -
Mutant

Neal

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 04:03:36 GMT, mutant <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 03:06:13 +0000, lostinspace wrote:
>> Java is a non-effective method for that.

> The last I had read sometime ago it was the only way. I did not mean for
> you to think me knowledge or current because I am not. Like I said. Last
> knew that was the only way. I never used it so I don't know how that went
> either.
>
>> Server Side is more effective.

> My understanding is that everything is safer server side. But that's just
> my read. Which is why I need a newsgroup. It's like seeing it through
> another's eyes.

Simple. Client-side requires the ability to run scripts in the browser.
Server-side has the script on the server. So when you do things
server-side, you know the script will run.

There are other details to contend with concerning determining the UA, but
server-side scripting is the only reliable way to do it.

> So virus = bug(s)
> mask = protection from bugs
> restricting virus prone computers from my web site = priceless.

Are you under the impression that somehow you can catch a virus from a
user visiting your website??

My, oh my, you're mistaken. Unless you offer some sort of uplink for that
virus to go through, no, your site is safe from IE users.