Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Notifying user of running process?

Notifying user of running process?

(Pete Cresswell)

When a user clicks a "show pictures" option on the CD I'm distributing, about
200 thumbnails have to load before the user can click on one to see the
full-sized image. Only takes about 30-45 seconds, but still seems confusing
for somebody who sees the first few thumbs right away and nothing happens when
they click on one.

I'm guessing that I've just crossed form XHTML into the realm of JavaScript.

True? If not, is there a way to give some notification (like "Loading
thumbnails, please wait...") to the user while the thumbs are loading?

Don't know if I'm ready to go there yet, but if it's a JavaScript thing and I
decide to go for it, my first question would be how does the script know when
all thumbnails have been loaded.
--
PeteCresswell

brucie

In alt.html (Pete Cresswell) said:

> When a user clicks a "show pictures" option on the CD I'm distributing, about
> 200 thumbnails have to load before the user can click on one to see the
> full-sized image.

reduce the quantity of thumbs per page to a more manageable level for
the user to deal with.

as its local perhaps 50 per page but thats still a lot of thumbs for the
user to go through and perhaps miss the image they're looking for.

> Only takes about 30-45 seconds

thats a hell of a long time even for 200 images. you're not resizing the
images to thumbs with html are you? the thumbs are optimized?

--

v o i c e s

Toby Inkster

(Pete Cresswell) wrote:

> True? If not, is there a way to give some notification (like "Loading
> thumbnails, please wait...") to the user while the thumbs are loading?

font-size: 1.5em;
font-weight: bold;
color: red;
background: yellow;
border: thick solid red;
}
<script type="text/javascript">
document.write("<p id='loading'>Loading thumbnails, please wait...<\/p>");
function hideloading () {
var loading = document.getElementById('loading');
}
window.onload = hideloading;
</script>
<!-- stuff goes here -->

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
Now Playing ~ ./counting_crows/hanginaround_04/01_hanginaround_04_rock_mix.ogg

(Pete Cresswell)

RE/
><script type="text/javascript">

This may sound like a dumb question... but, worst-case scenario the user has
disabled Jave, all that would happen would be that the message would not show,
right? i.e. no un-graceful things like error messages or breaks to code...
--
PeteCresswell

Toby Inkster

(Pete Cresswell) wrote:

> This may sound like a dumb question... but, worst-case scenario the user has
> disabled Jave, all that would happen would be that the message would not show,
> right? i.e. no un-graceful things like error messages or breaks to code...

If they've disabled Java, it will still run fine.

If they've disabled *Javascript*, then the script won't run -- no negitive
effects.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

(Pete Cresswell)

RE/
>If they've disabled Java, it will still run fine.
>
>If they've disabled *Javascript*, then the script won't run -- no negitive
>effects.

Excellant!....Thanks.
--
PeteCresswell